PDA

View Full Version : New car dilemma

Lee H
01-05-10, 07:50 PM
Right I have just got a new job that will involve a 50 mile round trip every day and am unsure of what do to do on the car front.

I currently have an XE Corsa but i'm not convinced such an old car is ideal for sitting in traffic and putting so much mileage on and still being reliable. Also fuel costs will be quite high. However it has never let me down up to now.

I fancy a Civic Type R as its a bit newer and still going to be fairly quick but insurance and fuel costs are going to be quite high. Also have to park on a public carpark and I know what a reputation these cars have for going missing (especially in the North West)

The sensible choice would be a Vectra 1.9 CDTI as fuel costs would be much lower, I wouldnt modify it and to a certain extent I wouldn't care about it. However its a Vectra and I would be bored driving it and also they seem really expensive to fix when they break which also seems quite regular.

I will still have the Nova and MR2 to use as weekend toys etc.

Just unsure what to do as I need something that I know won't keep letting me down.

What do people think would be the best thing to do or does anyone have alternative suggestions that doesn't involve any form of public transport.

MattBrown
01-05-10, 07:53 PM
Something derv mate.

New golf GTTDI 200bhp on tap.

Or keep the corsa, as its a relatively cheap toy etc.

NovaLad
01-05-10, 07:54 PM
I would say a MK4 Golf TDi of some sort.

mowgli
01-05-10, 07:55 PM
anything with the vag 1.9tdi really, i can't praise them enough

L33 LEG
01-05-10, 07:55 PM
Do civics still get stolen as much now seen as they're not an expensive hatch anymore? Im not a fan of them but for the money, looks and performance you cant get much better tbh if it's what you like.

Saloony
01-05-10, 07:56 PM
Astra SRI 1.9CDTi, get it mapped up 200bhp. Personally i would go 5dr with styling pack, best looking astra i think.

John
01-05-10, 07:57 PM

Not a mk4 if you can help it though, the chassis feels like it's made of semolina.

3B passat?
Astra H 1.9cdti?

I'd deffo think about selling the corsa on fella.

Lee H
01-05-10, 07:58 PM
Forgot to mention, only want to spend £5k max.

mowgli
01-05-10, 07:59 PM
mk2 golfs were like driving a jelly too.. odd really, cos the mk1 was a hoot

Sloth
01-05-10, 08:00 PM
was gonna suggest a toyota avensis t180 2.2 derv but theyre a bit more than 5k.

Lee H
01-05-10, 08:00 PM
Do civics still get stolen as much now seen as they're not an expensive hatch anymore? Im not a fan of them but for the money, looks and performance you cant get much better tbh if it's what you like.

I'm not sure, plenty of stolen threads on the forum and loads of cat D cars for sale but think it has probably died down somewhat now.

John
01-05-10, 08:01 PM
mk2 golfs were like driving a jelly too.. odd really, cos the mk1 was a hoot

The mk5 golf is miles better imho. Don't know if you'd get a good'un for 5k tho lee.

How bout astra H 1.7cdti? Can be got in sri/elite form iirc. Or how about a v6cdti vec?

NovaLad
01-05-10, 08:02 PM
Forgot to mention, only want to spend £5k max.
Only lol...
The VW MK4 Bora TDi 130bhp remap to 168bhp are very nice to drive and quick! and if you get the SE upgraded model you get all the extras on the inside i think.
SPACIOUS.!

Same as my mates where you dropped the engine crane off at that night. :)

Easily be able to get that with less than or just over 100k on clock and have a grand or 2 left.

Very safe cars aswell.

Lee H
01-05-10, 08:02 PM
Lots of people have mention the Golfs but I really don't like them. Mate has a mk4 GTi and I think its rubbish considering what you have to pay for one.

mowgli
01-05-10, 08:08 PM
just get a focus diesel then. they run forever & hold their value quite well

Lee H
03-05-10, 06:10 PM
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201017357587309/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/5000/model/astra/make/vauxhall/postcode/ol165jg/radius/30/page/1/keywords/gsi?logcode=p

Just got back from viewing this. Really clean car but didn't feel as quick as a 200bhp car should. Decided to have a think about it and during the journey home it got sold to someone else. Must have been cheap?!

Lee H
03-05-10, 06:11 PM
Double post.

John
03-05-10, 06:12 PM
How bout a skoda fabia vrs?

novacabrio
03-05-10, 06:14 PM
seems to be cheap as far as GSIs go, also very rare hence why its sold. how ever not great on fuel for you.

Adam
03-05-10, 06:29 PM
Mk4 astras are good for dailys. As said though, a GSi wont be ideal if fuel costs concern you.

That one on A/T looked very tidy, strange how its got pov spec headlamps though and not gsi items, maybe its had a bit of a front ender in its past.

Lee H
03-05-10, 07:48 PM
Fuel costs aren't the most important thing.

It was tidy, thought something didn't look right about the headlights. It was HPI clear, I checked before I went.

Lots of oil on the engine bay out of the dump valve but he said he had just had the turbo rebuilt because of that.

Want to drive a Type R to compare which is why I didn't buy this I think deep down. Been told be a few people the Type R is better.

Adam
03-05-10, 07:49 PM
They are pov spec standard headlamps, not gsi items.

Paul
03-05-10, 08:05 PM
octavia vrs, lovely cars

seat leon cupra r

I really like them 1.8T engines

John
03-05-10, 08:09 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250618481349&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

137k, but full police history, mega bargain imho! run for 18mnths and sell for what you paid!

sulphur
03-05-10, 08:12 PM
^ Agreed. Octavia or Fabia VRS. Can't go wrong with either. Failing that, how about a mondeo st derv?

Nebbz
03-05-10, 08:13 PM
i used to do a 80mile round trip every day in my nova (used to keep my horse some where near keynesham bristol (nr bath) drive there in the morning, drive to college in weston super mare, drive back to bristol to sort tubbs out and back home to clevedon, its only started mucking me about when im not using it every day! which is ironic really :P good little car!!

Paul
03-05-10, 08:13 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250618481349&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

137k, but full police history, mega bargain imho! run for 18mnths and sell for what you paid!

Christ that has been for sale for over a year

Nebbz
03-05-10, 08:14 PM
prob cause they want 5 k for a car thats got 137k on the clock sod that ide give them 1k at most

John
03-05-10, 08:16 PM
Christ that has been for sale for over a year

Lol didn't know that, just plucked one off the bay for an example lol

Lee H
03-05-10, 08:18 PM
Think i'm going to use the Corsa for a bit while I try and find a Type R worth test driving and see how it goes.

Rapidly going off the boring diesel idea now.....

Mike
03-05-10, 08:57 PM
Passat get my vote, altho the VRS for that price would be ideal IMHO

Ian_Gsi16v
03-05-10, 09:55 PM
Best car I have ever had for my 70 mile round trip commute was my XE Corsa. Briliant on fuel and reliable enough.

If you don't mind the noise or pulling up to work in it then just keep that. If your going for a workhouse then definetly get a derv.

I bought my S3 as a sensible all rounder and putting silly amounts of fuel in just to get to work and back soon gets on your tits.

dj_wudgey
04-05-10, 10:52 AM
id keep using the corsa!

Rick Draper
04-05-10, 06:41 PM
Diesels are ****, i am putting as much fuel in my audi as i was in the CTR for the Heathrow runs.

ben doodar
05-05-10, 08:52 PM
I bought a 02 golf gt tdi 130 a couple of months ago. I absolutly love it. It's by no means fast but pulls really well for a diesel, and it's ace on fuel I really should have had one a couple of years ago. suits me with having a little un. But think you'd get bored of it tbh! How about a Clio trophey? Or does that offend you? Lol

Mike
05-05-10, 08:58 PM
Diesels are ****, i am putting as much fuel in my audi as i was in the CTR for the Heathrow runs.

I get 516 miles to a tank in a Diesel van when its fully loaded. 400ish when I give it death.

Cant really see ANY 1.7+ engined petrol ever doing that lol lol

MK999
05-05-10, 09:16 PM
I got 430 miles to a 44l tank in mine, with about 8l to spare and then found out it's got a leak lol

craig green
05-05-10, 09:33 PM
Turbo Diesels have the ability to drink as much if not more juice than a petrol equivalent, they still need to be driven economically. All that power has to come from somewhere (the tank) its never free.

MK999
05-05-10, 09:36 PM
Power? Where is this power you speak of lol Mine drinks most when I'm using that last little bit of throttle travel thats reserved for making brand new beamers front ends black lol

L14MNP
05-05-10, 09:39 PM
<20 mpg at present here. :(

/Leaves convo.

Rick Draper
05-05-10, 09:56 PM
2.0 TDI A3 and on a 360 mile round trip i can use almost a full tank of juice. I get on average 420 miles for a full tank and a full tank is £70. I admit i do drive it hard where as my civic to do the same sort of speed i was not having to thrash it half as much.

Mike
05-05-10, 10:13 PM
2.0 TDI A3 and on a 360 mile round trip i can use almost a full tank of juice. I get on average 420 miles for a full tank and a full tank is £70. I admit i do drive it hard where as my civic to do the same sort of speed i was not having to thrash it half as much.

Thats properly pants on fuel then TBH really.

Full tank costs me about £48

Lee H
05-05-10, 11:31 PM

Thats exactly the same fuel consumption as my Corsa XE then.

dj_wudgey
05-05-10, 11:35 PM
f*ck mpg get a vectra gsi!

John
05-05-10, 11:36 PM
Thats exactly the same fuel consumption as my Corsa XE then.

Keeper then? :cool:

Lee H
06-05-10, 01:50 PM
Keeper then? :cool:

Until I find a Civic I'd like to view it's looking that way. Start the job on Monday so will see how I feel after the first week.

Could do with some softer suspension and a less asbo exhaust though!

Paul16v
06-05-10, 09:07 PM
my dc5 does 325ish miles to a tank and thats with mixed styles of driving,civics are good cars imo very reliable as well

Lee
06-05-10, 09:11 PM
If you'll be sat in traffic, get an Auto.

MK999
06-05-10, 09:12 PM
If you'll be sat in traffic, get an Auto.

Get a what? Do you want a quick slap and I'll ask you if you wanna repeat it? lol

Lee
06-05-10, 09:14 PM
Get a what? Do you want a quick slap and I'll ask you if you wanna repeat it? lol

Lee has a very sweet Nova turbo for fun. Why would he need another hot hatch for the commute every day? When you're in stop start traffic there is nothing better than an auto.

MK999
06-05-10, 09:18 PM
Anything touches my gears while I'm driving it gets a slap tbh, auto box would drive me nuts :p I'm assuming from Lee's car history, i.e the kinda thing he likes to drive that he's the same lol

It's all well and good deciding to pick up something dull and workable for commuting but if you're used to driving something a little more energetic it gets old fast, and Lee's car history is a bit more energetic than mine lol

Lee H
06-05-10, 09:31 PM
Anything touches my gears while I'm driving it gets a slap tbh, auto box would drive me nuts :p I'm assuming from Lee's car history, i.e the kinda thing he likes to drive that he's the same lol

It's all well and good deciding to pick up something dull and workable for commuting but if you're used to driving something a little more energetic it gets old fast, and Lee's car history is a bit more energetic than mine lol

lol

An auto is a definite no no. Trying to find a Civic to go and view but they hold their money really well unlike Vauxhalls.

Lee
06-05-10, 09:35 PM

Nothing like driving energetically in traffic lol

If I had a quick hatch for the weekend, I would buy a comfy auto for the commute (I used to have a carlton as a daily, and it was luvverly). If I bought a quick hatch for the commute (especially something with bog all torque like a TypeR) it would probably drive ME nuts lol

Horses for courses though :)

MK999
06-05-10, 09:36 PM
You saw my red thing, that was my daily, it makes no sense but I (we, Lee H? lol) like it :d

Lee H
06-05-10, 09:40 PM
You saw my red thing, that was my daily, it makes no sense but I (we, Lee H? lol) like it :d

My daily cars so far:

3 Nova XE's
Corsa XE
Renault 5 GT turbo
Celica GT4

I like my hot hatches, the Celica was a mistake i'd rather not talk about :mad:

See what you are saying Lee and maybe I will feel the same after a few months as never had more than a 10 mile commute before. Type R has as much torque as an an XE tbf.

Welsh Dan
06-05-10, 09:45 PM

My 2.0 TDCI mongdeo will to 550+ to a 52 litre tank.

I'm getting around 50mpg around town (pen and paper, 52mpg indicated), it goes up to nearer 56-58 on a motorway run. You could pick up a 2003-ish Ghia-X or Zetec-S with plenty of change from £5k. The lower models like my LX aren't luxorious, but they are comfortable, they drive well, parts are relatively cheap and there's a good community. The 130bhp derv engine is quick enough for safe overtakes, but its not quick enough to have a novelty that wears off :).

dj_wudgey
06-05-10, 11:28 PM
My daily cars so far:

3 Nova XE's
Corsa XE
Renault 5 GT turbo
Celica GT4

I like my hot hatches, the Celica was a mistake i'd rather not talk about :mad:

See what you are saying Lee and maybe I will feel the same after a few months as never had more than a 10 mile commute before. Type R has as much torque as an an XE tbf.

id liek a 5 turbo as a daily drive for as long as it would last lol

Lee
07-05-10, 12:04 AM

Aye, thats the thing, id probably agree with you if I had small jaunts, but Ive always had long drives to work, and many of the jobs were in London. 2 or so hours of clutch on, clutch off gets very tiring.

dj_wudgey
07-05-10, 12:26 AM
Aye, thats the thing, id probably agree with you if I had small jaunts, but Ive always had long drives to work, and many of the jobs were in London. 2 or so hours of clutch on, clutch off gets very tiring.

id hate to have to comute to london been a few times and my word it would get on my tits you could walk around the city faster lol

adam c
10-05-10, 06:17 PM
lol

Trying to find a Civic to go and view but they hold their money really well unlike Vauxhalls.

If your wanting a go in a civic your more than welcome to come over and have a shot in mine. :thumb:

Lee H
10-05-10, 07:14 PM
Are you still selling it? Would love to have a go in it either way as that will help my decision.

Done the journey for the first time in the Corsa today and didn't enjoy it, much too noisy.

MattBrown
10-05-10, 07:26 PM
Lotus carlton...

All round ace car:)

Lee H
10-05-10, 07:31 PM
Lotus carlton...

All round ace car:)

I'll take 3 at £5k each!! lol

Dar
10-05-10, 07:38 PM
Get an automatic Smart car.
http://pictures2.autotrader.co.uk/imgser-uk/servlet/media?id=1137968835

MK999
10-05-10, 07:41 PM
http://www.autopress.be/Temporaires/SALON/2005/SMART%20ROADSTER_BRABUS.jpg
?

That is a brabus badge on the wing btw lol

Mike
10-05-10, 08:19 PM
^ they are rapidly quick i **** you not!

MK999
10-05-10, 08:23 PM
Wouldn't doubt it, knew someone with a standard one and he has happy enough, 0.8litres running at 2 bar iirc lol

adam c
10-05-10, 08:44 PM
Are you still selling it? Would love to have a go in it either way as that will help my decision.

I've decided to keep it at least until i come back off holiday at the end of july(I know if i sold it id end up regretting it thoughlol )

Like i said your more than welcome to come over and see what they're like as theyre not really a "lazy" car i.e to go anywhere quickly or to overtake you need to drop it down a gear or 2.

(just send me a PM and we can sort something out)

Mieran
10-05-10, 09:11 PM

I would go for an Ibiza