PDA

View Full Version : Overheating problem?

de-slotted
01-05-10, 06:19 PM
Coming home from work & stuck in traffic,noticed the temp rising into the red :confused: .So i pulled over & the electric fan had not kicked in.Managed to get home with the temp almost constant in red.So after cooling down i tested the fan with 12v supply & it worked,So i changed the sensor in the rad & checked the switches.The car is still overheating.I did notice that i can't see the water returning to the header tank.So does anyone think the waterpumps shot?Even though i thought if the pumps going the electric fan should still come on?.I also checked the fuses under the dash & all seem ok.Does anyone have any ideas?like HEAD GASKET

craig green
01-05-10, 06:29 PM
The fan is OK, so the switch may be suspect, try another but likewise check the wiring to it for cuts etc.

You should have water rturning to your header when its revved for sure. A new thermostat may be on the cards too. Is the hose from the stat to rad hot?

de-slotted
01-05-10, 06:40 PM
Hi the water is not returning when i rev the enging.The left top hose is hot.The bottom is warm.As for the switch can you change them?

craig green
01-05-10, 06:45 PM
Yeah the switch unscrews from the rad.

Andy
01-05-10, 08:40 PM
have you recently changed the coolant? is it bled up?

Nova_Tek
01-05-10, 08:51 PM
Have a very similar issue with my dads SEH. But I've changed everything and still nothing. Check to see if you rad is totally hot when up to temp. Sometimes you get the top half hot and the bottom half cold so the switch won't sense the hot water and won't switch on.

If it was running in the red for a long period damage could be done to the headgasket

de-slotted
02-05-10, 12:39 PM
Yeah the switch unscrews from the rad.
i've put a new sensor switch in.So being that the fan wasn't working with the old switch in i doubt the new one is faulty.

de-slotted
02-05-10, 12:41 PM
[quote=Andy]have you recently changed the coolant? is it bled up?[/quote
i have only changed the coolant because i changed the sensor switch in the rad.

AlexW
02-05-10, 12:54 PM
Bet its a airlock due to changing the switch.

de-slotted
16-05-10, 03:14 PM
Bet its a airlock due to changing the switch..it was the thermostat...It had broken & bent to one side..So i replaced the Cambelt,Waterpump,Thermostat.The car is now running ok:) & i will do a head test later today.

Blackie_No1
16-05-10, 05:12 PM
I was just about to say it sounds like a thermostat problem