PDA

View Full Version : After all these years.........

craig green
01-05-10, 05:59 PM
of disliking 2.0XE Novas, I'm starting to want one. I guess 15 years in smallblocks & I want one for myself. :roll:

As a 2nd car you understand. I'd never commit to the dark side entirely.

Benn
01-05-10, 06:00 PM
Do it, a man of your skills could build a frigging nice one.

Nova_Tek
01-05-10, 06:07 PM
Do it! Or if you wanna be a tad different Nova XEV :)

craig green
01-05-10, 06:09 PM
Who is selling decent shaft/hub setups nowadays?

Graeme
01-05-10, 06:10 PM
David Dixon was doing equal length ones iirc

Benn
01-05-10, 06:11 PM
Dave Dixon, you can get the equal length bit and that. Not sure if he can do hubs tho. But Pete can from Mig.

Count Vaux Alot
01-05-10, 06:13 PM
lol

Mieran
01-05-10, 06:14 PM
Why do you hate 2.0 Novas?

craig green
01-05-10, 06:19 PM
Cos they handle pants compared with small blocks, I dont care what anyone says.
It's probably less apparent on a track where you have the whole width of the tarmac, but on the highway where you have to try & keep it between the white lines, the weight of the engine is very apparent. A nova TD is the same, infact it reminded me of a valver. But I just fancy the thrashability of a std XE & 'that rocker cover you can paint'. lol

Oh & the fact its the obvious route to making a Nova quicker.

Benn
01-05-10, 06:22 PM
Do it dude.

Mieran
01-05-10, 06:22 PM
I think mine doesn't handle too bad, its much much better than the XE'd corsa I used to have. Corsa even had better suspension and tyres.

How heavy are those small block engines with gearbox (x16xe for example)?

craig green
01-05-10, 06:32 PM
Smallblock XE weight probably isnt far off a big block, but they still feel like smallblocks should. I had a C16XE for a few months then had a turbo'd one which weighs a freaking bomb to lift, yet that still feels the same.

sulphur
01-05-10, 06:34 PM
Go for it CG, your build thread would be one I'd subscribe to. :thumb:

craig green
01-05-10, 06:37 PM
It wont be for a while, it would make the jouney to work a bity more bearable however.

Edd
01-05-10, 10:11 PM
Oh f*cking dear mate lol have a word with yourself ffs lol

DO NOT TURN TO THE DARK SIDE

.... I could be tempted to take the smallblock turbo lump of your hands if you need to get rid tho lol

david dixon
01-05-10, 10:19 PM
If you would like, shafts, hubs and a engine mount kit give me a shout!

David.

General Baxter
01-05-10, 10:20 PM
http://1inkz.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/darkside.jpg

Mike
01-05-10, 10:21 PM
Ive often contemplated this too but I came to the conlusion that I just the love the whole concept of a V6 one instead.

The whole tiny car with silly size cc engine just seams so much more appealing to me lol

General Baxter
01-05-10, 10:23 PM
Ive often contemplated this too but I came to the conlusion that I just the love the whole concept of a V6 one instead.

im looking into this, the xe just seems slow now lol

mowgli
01-05-10, 10:25 PM

only cos its on the back of a wrecker... at least the mpg is really good

bazil
01-05-10, 10:25 PM
Here's a question why not do it?
I'm going BB soon but not on my gsi I'm going to use my other shell.

Mike
01-05-10, 10:26 PM

Pass, only XE Nova ive ever driven was a rally car with about 195bhp, had no panels, just a windscreen lol lol doing a tonne with no doors is shÃ*tscary lol

My brother in law has a Vec GSi an that seems to go like stink tho.

Saloony
01-05-10, 10:34 PM
Why did you not just dump an 20XE in the last one, rather than starting all over again?

mowgli
01-05-10, 10:37 PM
are you and john H ganging up on me?????

i will soon be the only nova owner with a 1600 engine

Lee H
01-05-10, 10:50 PM

XE's are slow, they don't just seem it.........

General Baxter
01-05-10, 10:53 PM
XE's are slow, they don't just seem it.........

its ether going to be a 3L v6 or a let, after pvlol

or a LET and ditch the turbo :roll:

mowgli
01-05-10, 11:01 PM
have you got evil plans to do with belt drive????????

General Baxter
01-05-10, 11:02 PM
if it happens, it will be a rotax, not a ****ty eaton lol

mowgli
01-05-10, 11:03 PM
the poor RR man will have just stopped shaking & you'll finish him off

Danny s-p
01-05-10, 11:12 PM

i will soon be the only nova owner with a 1600 engineno there will be me and you mate for a few year's. until i can insure a v6 or xe lol

mowgli
02-05-10, 10:17 AM
no there will be me and you mate for a few year's. until i can insure a v6 or xe lol

then that'll leave just me

dj_wudgey
02-05-10, 10:38 AM
no problem with theat matey lol go get one!!

Graeme
02-05-10, 10:39 AM
My memories of xe novas are far better than driving one now, I was disappointed with my last one, it just didn't seem quick at all, it felt nice but the power delivery is too smooth and not aggressive enough, it didn't help trying to keep up with Lee H's turbo, it completely left me for dust

Mazz
02-05-10, 11:01 AM
Once you go flat out in a XE Nova, that feeling never comes back.. :cry: But they are still a good, cheap giggle

Dom
02-05-10, 01:05 PM
My memories of xe novas are far better than driving one now, I was disappointed with my last one, it just didn't seem quick at all, it felt nice but the power delivery is too smooth and not aggressive enough, it didn't help trying to keep up with Lee H's turbo, it completely left me for dust
Does this mean even once i have put the xe in my nova it will still feel proper slow compared to my let astra?:(

craig green
02-05-10, 01:07 PM
Does this mean even once i have put the xe in my nova it will still feel proper slow compared to my let astra?:(

shouldnt do if the motor is healthy.

Graeme
02-05-10, 01:13 PM
Your was the black and red one on the front of tv recently? Nice car pal and I think so mate either that or you'll 'tame' it really quickly

dj_wudgey
02-05-10, 01:20 PM

id have said yea lol

Dom
02-05-10, 01:42 PM
Your was the black and red one on the front of tv recently? Nice car pal and I think so mate either that or you'll 'tame' it really quickly

Yeah that ones mine mate cheers:d well the nova is only a 1L at the mo so its proper slow!!! The only thing im hoping is where the nova will owe me so little i wont mind pushing it that bit further and taking it on a track and absoutley abusing itlol where as the thought of taking my astra on a track on damaging it scares me:eek: althought i might take it to bedford autodrome as its local and they have massive run offs:thumb:

MattBrown
02-05-10, 02:08 PM
Once you go flat out in a XE Nova, that feeling never comes back.. :cry: But they are still a good, cheap giggle

So true, my first experiance was "Seans, SRS-1"

Hit a roundabout doing x speed, and flew up the slip road near his house, was like, wow that pretty quick for a nova, but ive been in quite afew now, and turbos etc, and xe nova's arent that quick.

Civic type r's with afew choice mods are the same.

Imprezza turbos etc are the same.

Back years ago, when 150bhp was like omg they were fast, but 19year olds are driving civics and stuff, and when you hit 25 there in evo's xe novas just dont butter the toast anymore:(

Mike
02-05-10, 02:09 PM
I remember the days when 300bhp would make the world spin backwards lol shame it just aint like that anymore :(

Saloony
02-05-10, 04:01 PM
Just think how i feel... my nova feels like it pulls like a Reliant Robin now. But it still keeps pace, its still suprises people, still makes me smile.

craig green
02-05-10, 04:24 PM
xe novas just dont butter the toast anymore:(

When you put it like that, I've made my mind up.. I am not going to bother.

lewisvalver
02-05-10, 04:38 PM
xe novas may not seem quick compared to new cars that cost a fair bit of money but for the price of an xe nova im delighted with mine,anyone who cant have fun in a 2.0 nova needs there head examined

Adam
02-05-10, 04:42 PM
its ether going to be a 3L v6 or a let, after pvlol

or a LET and ditch the turbo :roll: So you are going fit a let but throw away the best bit? lol

And XE novas are not slow ffs lol. Ok if you drive a 400brake Evo, or a Nova Turbo then yeah they seem slow. Give ANYONE a go in one that is used to driving a "normal" car and watch their face when they nail it lol lol

craig green
02-05-10, 04:49 PM
Theres rarely enough space on the UK roads to make use of more than 100bhp these days anyway.

What use is a 400bhp EVO in a traffic jam?

Saloony
02-05-10, 04:54 PM

With that said, whats the point of 150bhp in a traffic jam. Whats the point of 50bhp of 3cylinder daewoo matiz in a traffic jam? Why dont we all get push bikes instead. No brakehorse in any traffic jam then

L14MNP
02-05-10, 05:47 PM

Sounds like that one is still in Toky0. lol

Andy
02-05-10, 05:50 PM
lol at Xe nova's been slow,whoever writes rubbish like that must be slow in the head.

General Baxter
02-05-10, 05:51 PM
they are, iv done 170miles in mine, i find my self falling to sleep driving it lol

might be a reliablty thing tho, all my other engines were, ooo whats going to break, lets listen to the funny noises lol

Andy
02-05-10, 05:53 PM
Well,maybe it feels slow and relaxing cos its working ok lol

muzzy
02-05-10, 05:58 PM
I like XE Nova's for they're straight line speed but I prefer a small block for cornering. I have to admit I've never really noticed a huge difference in handling but the small block seems just a little bit better for throwing about.

General Baxter
02-05-10, 05:59 PM
im sorry but im running std shocks and cut 100mm springs, and i cant tell the differance over my old one that had spax coil overs on lol

GAZ bloody hurry up with my order, should be here next week lol

Lee H
02-05-10, 07:22 PM
lol at Xe nova's been slow,whoever writes rubbish like that must be slow in the head.

All comes down to what other cars you have or have had and what cars your mates drive I guess. I've never thought they are as quick as everyone makes out they are.

Ste L
02-05-10, 07:50 PM
XE Nova's aint slow, but aint fast either by all means...

like what Lee said, if your used to a slow car, then it will be ****ing quick to you, but if you have a rather fast car, then it will feel slow

peester
02-05-10, 08:02 PM
theyre not 'quick' because they usually done with the typical low-cost attitude - so tyres are budget, the engine itself prob wont be in best health, no LSD etc - all of which 'slows' the car down..
not to mentioned the kerb weight has just been upped lol

Graeme
02-05-10, 09:45 PM
Ten years they were quick up against 'poor mans' cossie (saphs) and mk3 golf vr6s but my last one got abused by an Edition 30 Golf and a new shape Civic type r

scott.parker
02-05-10, 10:11 PM
Ten years they were quick up against 'poor mans' cossie (saphs) and mk3 golf vr6s but my last one got abused by an Edition 30 Golf and a new shape Civic type r

I cant believe you just admitted to that! no wonder you want a LET then.. lol

OK so it's been a long time since Ive been in a standard XE nova, but others say compared to you everyday car there fast as hell, but not your new tuned evo's or new hot hatches like VXR's ST/RS's..

But i would like to give passenger rides to all who think there slow in mine!...
lol it ****s me most times i drive it after all these years. :thumb:

Scott

MK999
02-05-10, 10:15 PM
Scotts is bloody quick enough easy lol ST's and VXR's aren't all that though, up to 60ish my E16 could stick to the back of a VXR and was slightly quicker than a new shape focus st... RS has another 100 bhp though, no such fair fight there lol

John
02-05-10, 10:25 PM
Do it Craig! If only just to satisfy your curiosity!

Lee
02-05-10, 11:07 PM
I dont think its so much the pace of an XE that feels fast, its the fact you're in a flimsey tin can. Ive not driven a Nova for a while now, and today Jack came round so I could swap the box on his V6 (again lol) On the test drive it felt like I was in a wardrobe. Proper clostrephobic. Probably made worse by the fact my daily is a van lol

Take a modern car and an XE with the same 0-60 times, the nova will feel a hell of a lot quicker every time.

Benn
02-05-10, 11:08 PM
Didn't think a type R was that fast?

Lee H
02-05-10, 11:11 PM
Didn't think a type R was that fast?

Depends on the driver tbh. My XE did the times in my signature but one Type R I came up against was pulling away from me slightly.

Andy
02-05-10, 11:13 PM
All comes down to what other cars you have or have had and what cars your mates drive I guess. I've never thought they are as quick as everyone makes out they are.
Ive driven a lot of quick hatches and Subaru's etc (when i worked at a garage) and they still feel fast to me.It depends if the ones other people experienced have been fukked,as ive heard more people say theyre quick than not tbh.At the end of the day 0-60 in 6-7 seconds aint slow

Andy
02-05-10, 11:15 PM
i mean look at your old Xe daily LeeH-iirc it was pretty standard???
Your 1/4 mile and 0-60 times arent slow?? lol

Benn
02-05-10, 11:16 PM
Depends on the driver tbh. My XE did the times in my signature but one Type R I came up against was pulling away from me slightly.

Oh right, i've never driven one (driven alot of car, thanks to the bodyshop) Only tried to play with them..

Then again, any car can feel quick if driven the right way.. A fast car is still 70% driver 30% car.

A super charged v8 will be slow if driven like a pussy.

scott.parker
02-05-10, 11:17 PM
Ive driven a lot of quick hatches and Subaru's etc (when i worked at a garage) and they still feel fast to me.It depends if the ones other people experienced have been fukked,as ive heard more people say theyre quick than not tbh.At the end of the day 0-60 in 6-7 seconds aint slow

Yeah that's not bad for a Subaru, most XE's are 5.5-6 and then lets/tb'd xe's are quicker! lol

Lee H
02-05-10, 11:19 PM
i mean look at your old Xe daily LeeH-iirc it was pretty standard???
Your 1/4 mile and 0-60 times arent slow?? lol

It was standard bar exhaust and filter. My times aren't slow but there are a lot running around the 15 second mark which isn't that impressive, was more going off those ones. Maybe I just got used to the performance with it being a daily driver.

Years ago when the turbo was a daily driver I got used to that as well but now it feels quick on the one or two occasions a year I take it out lol

Lee H
02-05-10, 11:20 PM
Yeah that's not bad for a Subaru, most XE's are 5.5-6 and then lets/tb'd xe's are quicker! lol

I'm yet to see a standard XE do 0-60 in 5.5 unless you are referring to Trax timing gear :eek: How could a Nova XE be nearly 2 seconds quicker to 60 than the Astra GTE the engine came out of, not a chance!!

Andy
02-05-10, 11:20 PM
I didnt think it was that quick??-When TV did the feature Spanishflys Xe did 4.X seconds,then John's standard Xe did 6.9??? so was just a rough figure.
Obviously there are lots of things to take into account weight/power/tyres/wheel size etc etc

lewisvalver
02-05-10, 11:27 PM
xe's nova are by no means slow,thats the biggest pish ive heard all day lol.as has been said by a few people,compared to Let novas etc they will maybe "LOOK" slow,but theres no way an xe nova is slow..... unless its knackered and not running right or something:)

scott.parker
02-05-10, 11:37 PM
Lee - Andy i was taking the pee... lol yes Trax timing is way off, as my old XE did 5.6 secs there! lol no chance, i would say my track car does about 5 flat now.

Lee H
02-05-10, 11:39 PM
Lee - Andy i was taking the pee... lol yes Trax timing is way off, as my old XE did 5.6 secs there! lol no chance, i would say my track car does about 5 flat now.

I don't even think my LET would do 5 flat, more like 5.5!!

scott.parker
02-05-10, 11:43 PM
Who knows mate, all i know is it's a far sight faster then my old car was, even when that shell had the TB's on it was not this quick, the best 1/4 times i did in that GSi was 14.2, this one does 13.5's and crosses the line over 105, had one run where the time was slower but i did 107mph over the line!

Also if you go of that you could say my car does 0-100 in around 12 secs?

Lee H
02-05-10, 11:47 PM
LET's do terminals of about 115 but I'd still be very dubious of a sub 5 second 0-60. Remember most of these cars accelerate quicker once they are rolling rather than from a standing start due to traction.

Edd
03-05-10, 12:11 AM
I've made my mind up.. I am not going to bother.
Thank f*ck for that !!

Just put it down to a moment of madness.

scott.parker
03-05-10, 12:17 AM
Thank f*ck for that !!

Just put it down to a moment of madness.

You love um really Edd! :thumb:

nova_saloon
03-05-10, 12:36 AM
LET's do terminals of about 115 but I'd still be very dubious of a sub 5 second 0-60. Remember most of these cars accelerate quicker once they are rolling rather than from a standing start due to traction.

Traction in a nova with power is rubbish but still just lift your foot up a little

Sloth
03-05-10, 12:47 AM
my old red one was quick enough to make a mate of mine piss himself....

draper
03-05-10, 08:51 AM
i had an XE nova at 19/20 and thought it 'was rapid innit'

although recently ive been out in a ocal lads corsa XE on R1 carbs with ligtened flywheel and was not impressed at all. Prey's 1600 was more fun imho

Jay
03-05-10, 09:02 AM

lol Ill join the 1600club.

MattBrown
03-05-10, 04:51 PM

Or the total opposite, if we were slow, they they would feel rediculously fast?

So we must all be really fast in the headlol

BIGS
03-05-10, 05:39 PM
Did shock me when you even said to put the 2ltr in mine :eek:. Ive never been in a 2ltr nova and have no idea of what it will be like. i know the 16xe is a great engine. they pull very well and seems very responsive. would the 20xe be the same? I would be pissed after welding the front end and fitting it then findding out the 16xe is better :cry:

craig green
03-05-10, 05:46 PM
err. 2.0 will be quicker mate.

BIGS
03-05-10, 05:50 PM
Yea will be quicker but more the way it delivers if you know what i mean. and i have tb's to fit on the 16xe if i was going to use that. unless i can put it on the 20xe :confused:

Mieran
03-05-10, 05:57 PM
BIGS your comments is going to start the 'big block vs small block' argument again. lol

I've never been in a 1.6 Nova, I can imagine them being faster than a Corsa sport/gsi because of the weight but not as fast as a 2.0

BIGS
03-05-10, 05:59 PM
BIGS your comments is going to start the 'big block vs small block' argument again. lol

I've never been in a 1.6 Nova, I can imagine them being faster than a Corsa sport/gsi because of the weight but not as fast as a 2.0

well put it this way. i played with a mate is his corsa gsi with my x16xe and i thought he said put it in 3rd. both went and i left him and he was in 2nd! and when he changed up to 3rd that gap made a huge diffrence

bazil
03-05-10, 06:00 PM
i only want to xe a nova because the french POS saxo vts beat me every morning on the bypass on the way to work, that was 7 fookin years ago and it still upsets me lol

craig green
03-05-10, 06:02 PM
I'd say a powerbox'd & 4 branched C16XE should see off that, but a 2.0 should be a more convincing win.

John

I'm tempted to build another for good cheap fun, You can have a go, then decide for yourself. :)

BIGS
i only want to xe a nova because the french POS saxo vts beat me every morning on the bypass on the way to work, that was 7 fookin years ago and it still upsets me lol

lollollol

Mieran
A bit similar to my xe nova now compared to the corsa I had.

In the Corsa you had to start at a low gear to get a good start but in the nova it takes off in low rpm too.

BIGS
03-05-10, 06:03 PM
I'd say a powerbox'd & 4 branched C16XE should see off that, but a 2.0 should be a more convincing win.

Yea and tbh let the 2.0 go in and get it all working fine you could put carbs or bodies on if you wish

Jack
03-05-10, 06:04 PM
its ether going to be a 3L v6
no, you'll spend months jabbering about the front mount and trying to buy exhaust manifolds off anyone with a V6 lol

At the end of the day 0-60 in 6-7 seconds aint slow
7 (or over) seconds I'd say. The Celica hits 60 in a book of 6.1 seconds, and thats a damned sight quicker to 60 than my nova was, and its a knackered 170+k UK model lol

I never had any problem with my XE, handling wise, on the road. Handled pretty well I thought. Wasn't exactly fast mind, but I'm comparing it to the Celica and the V6 - compared to most normal cars its quick. However, as a daily hack, its an excellent choice; nippy, easy and cheap to maintain, good MPG.

I think the people who reckon XE's are fast are the 1.2/1.0 brigade who haven't really been in a fast car.

Feck me, I should take a few people out in the V6. lol Bigs, come have a ride in mine, then you'll be all for fitting a V6 :d

John
03-05-10, 06:06 PM
I still think they're fast jack :p

General Baxter
03-05-10, 06:06 PM
no, you'll spend months jabbering about the front mount and trying to buy exhaust manifolds off anyone with a V6 lol

yours will be for sale soon anyway when the v8 goes in :thumb:

BIGS
03-05-10, 06:07 PM
Jack dont say that. ive got the v6 astra still here on my drive lol

Andy
03-05-10, 06:11 PM
I think the people who reckon XE's are fast are the 1.2/1.0 brigade who haven't really been in a fast car.

As i said earlier in the thread,ive driven some fast Subaru's other fast hatches ie RS Turbo's,309 and 205gti's etc etc
And also in 2002 a passenger in a GT4 (unsure what spec but was fukkin rapid!!) and i still think they are fast.Another thing i also mentioned that some of them are quicker and stronger than others that some may have experienced.

Jack
03-05-10, 06:12 PM
Jack dont say that. ive got the v6 astra still here on my drive lol
I know :d

Baxter, that won't happen for a while yet, Lee's project first :p

craig green
03-05-10, 06:13 PM
I never had any problem with my XE, handling wise, on the road. Handled pretty well I thought. Wasn't exactly fast mind, but I'm comparing it to the Celica and the V6 - compared to most normal cars its quick. However, as a daily hack, its an excellent choice; nippy, easy and cheap to maintain, good MPG.

Did you form that opinion before or after Dar showed you the Tie bars were flapping about? lol

General Baxter
well look at adams magic xe, thats a strong one lol 180bhp with a powercap lol

MK999
meh, RB26DET it, it'll fit, somewhere lol

craig green
03-05-10, 06:16 PM
pah.

I'm stopping myself from posting awanted ad for all the bits.. Driving up to Derby for the national weekend in the 4 speed 1200 is gonna be shocking.

Trouble is not having anywhere to do the conversion or being able to go without transport for more than 1 day.

MK999
03-05-10, 06:17 PM
double engine conversion at the national weekend? lol

John
03-05-10, 06:18 PM
double engine conversion at the national weekend? lol

Do it craig!

General Baxter
pah.

I'm stopping myself from posting awanted ad for all the bits.. Driving up to Derby for the national weekend in the 4 speed 1200 is gonna be shocking.

well atleast you know it will get you there and back home :thumb: lol

im dreading driving mine to nats its only 10miles away lol

craig green
Yeah. I'll drive up there with an XE in the boot, F20 strapped to my roofrack & all the camping gear on the back seat.

1.2OHC left in the campsite bin would be funny.

BIGS
03-05-10, 06:19 PM
pah.

Trouble is not having anywhere to do the conversion or being able to go without transport for more than 1 day.

If its soon but after we are fitting the 2.0 in mine. you can take back my corsa sri for a month or so? just need to insure it

MK999
03-05-10, 06:19 PM
1.2OHC left in the campsite bin would be funny.

Winner :d

craig green
03-05-10, 06:20 PM
We could both do the 2.0 conversions together on the same weekend. More than enough helpers & do the same work side by side LOL.

John
03-05-10, 06:23 PM
i'll bring me spannerz.

BIGS
Yea thats true tbh, and if i got mine to a bare engine bay with everything out and ready to fit the 2.0 would save time. and we could all camp in the misses field were she keeps her horse. bbq :thumb:

craig green
HUBBA HUBBA

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/retro%20Novas%20PNG/scan0001.jpg

right I need 22 spline shafts, an XE mount kit.. WTF am I on about??

taffnova
03-05-10, 06:24 PM
think small blocks handle best i done both that why went e16se again
every time

BIGS
03-05-10, 06:26 PM
Just thought, what bloody hoses do we need? can we use some from the 16xe or do we have to use 20xe ones?

craig green
03-05-10, 06:27 PM

Mowgli, check my 1st post. My smallblock XE turbo will always be my primary Nova engine of choice.

If I did build a valver, it wont be the fastest Nova I've had. lol

MK999
03-05-10, 06:28 PM
Lets swap everyones engines at national day, pieces of paper in a tub and pick them at random lol

BIGS
03-05-10, 06:28 PM
^ lol do it

General Baxter
03-05-10, 06:29 PM
i hope i end up with kieths lol

craig green
03-05-10, 06:30 PM
Lets swap everyones engines at national day, pieces of paper in a tub and pick them at random lol

lol lol lol

Adam
03-05-10, 06:31 PM
well look at adams magic xe, thats a strong one lol 180bhp with a powercap lol
Well, it is a good 'un you know ;)

Shame its only got 2 gears atm, stupid facking internal linkage :roll:

craig green
03-05-10, 06:33 PM
Shame its only got 2 gears atm, stupid facking internal linkage :roll:

explain..

Adam
03-05-10, 06:41 PM
Nothing really much to explain.

I can set it up and get all 5 gears when not moving. But once im driving all the "down" gears (2nd and 4th) are hard to get, like the linkage hasnt got enough "throw" to get it fully into gear. And the last time i drove it in anger, the linkage clamp slipped meaning 4th was where 2nd should be. And i had to lift-up the reverse thing to get into 2nd..... :roll:

To55 really, think i need start again with another shifter setup. Which i just have no interest or bother to do, Lmao lol

craig green
03-05-10, 06:46 PM
not so good.

Adam
03-05-10, 06:48 PM
Dont get me wrong, when i can get gears the setup works fookin well and feels spot on!!!

But i should have kept with the nova setup imo! At least i actually got the gears i shifted for lol lol

craig green
03-05-10, 06:53 PM
Comparing older Vauxhalls with the under tunnel mounted pivot like mk2 astras (non XE), mk2 Cavs & Novas, I much prefer the feel of shifter ontop of the tunnel.
Its something I'd have to do, helps exhaust clearances etc too.

MK999
03-05-10, 06:53 PM
At least i actually got the gears i shifted for lol lol

Really? You must teach me the secret of the porridge box sometime

craig green
03-05-10, 06:55 PM
Really? You must teach me the secret of the porridge box sometime

Bit like a whore house. A box of assorted creams.......... lol

Adam
03-05-10, 06:56 PM
The old setup in mine wasnt all that bad tbh.

CG-Yeah it does feel better than the nova setup did. Its just id rather have 5 gears than have a good feeling 2 gears lol

Im sure i'll sort it though, fooking need to with pv like 4 week away!!!

craig green
03-05-10, 07:01 PM
You coming to national weekend Ad?

Adam
03-05-10, 07:03 PM
Should be yeah mate, camping Sat night. :)

Might be in the Astra.

craig green
03-05-10, 07:06 PM
nice. just paid for my ticket today.

valver chat. :cool:

Adam
03-05-10, 07:06 PM
Brap Brap

craig green
03-05-10, 07:07 PM
I need a passenger experience around the lanes of swadlincote, derbyshire in a valver Y0.

Adam
03-05-10, 07:22 PM
Well, i can take you to the limiter in 1st. That is all..... :)

craig green
03-05-10, 07:23 PM
That'll do.

General Baxter
03-05-10, 07:50 PM
ill take you out in mine, as if anything ****s up, im close enough to be towed home lol

Adam
03-05-10, 07:52 PM
Oh dear. How about we have some kind of game, the loser gets to have a passenger ride in a Baxter built XE nova lol

craig green
03-05-10, 07:56 PM
ill take you out in mine, as if anything ****s up, im close enough to be towed home lol

PASS :p

General Baxter
03-05-10, 08:15 PM
whats wrong with mine lol

its all bolted in correct on 'proper mounts' none of this tiger seal crap lol,

craig green
03-05-10, 08:17 PM
Just joshin Nick.

John
03-05-10, 08:17 PM
whats wrong with mine lol

its all bolted in correct on 'proper mounts' none of this tiger seal crap lol,

The mounts are the least of the worries lol

General Baxter
03-05-10, 08:25 PM
come on then, tell me, the only bodge on this car at the mo, is the lack of swirl pot lol

even the mounts were torqued up, proper shafts and hubs, even the correct compensator's in for the rear disks :)

craig green
03-05-10, 08:28 PM
People can still get the mounting wrong, but the decent currently available mounts seem to remove any bodges with old washers & underspecced materials.

What makes a good valver IMO, is a gear selector that works (sorry Adam), a cleanly routed-non rattling exhaust & wiring that is neat & tucked away, factory style. Lastly I hate the ECU on the shelf, below the steering column.

Andy
03-05-10, 08:28 PM
as long as you have enough fuel in you dont need a swirl pot lol

General Baxter
03-05-10, 08:30 PM
People can still get the mounting wrong, but the decent currently available mounts seem to remove any bodges with old washers & underspecced materials.

What makes a good valver IMO, is a gear selector that works (sorry Adam), a cleanly routed-non rattling exhaust & wiring that is neat & tucked away, factory style. Lastly I hate the ECU on the shelf, below the steering column.

mine would be good if i could be arsed to nip the bolt up a little more, for them angry 'throws'

my ecu is about to get bolted to the bulk head on the inside :thumb:

Adam
03-05-10, 08:38 PM

No offence taken lol

I'll sort my linkage, and then i'll take you out in it ;)

Benn
03-05-10, 09:01 PM
Lastly I hate the ECU on the shelf, below the steering column.

No a lot of places to stick it sadly.

Paul
03-05-10, 09:03 PM
up behind the fusebox for ECU

Saloony
03-05-10, 09:16 PM
ECU's are for gayers lol

Benn
03-05-10, 09:50 PM
ECU's are for gayers lol

Yet your posh car will have them for everything inc the headlights, seats and hell for the ac... So does this mean your the gayest?

MK999
04-05-10, 12:44 AM
actually it will only have one Engine Control Unit to be fair... :p

Benn
04-05-10, 09:41 AM
actually it will only have one Engine Control Unit to be fair... :p

You sure? Most new cars have them for everything, mk5 Astra have them for..
Air bags, CL, cooling...

*then again they arnt a Engine control unit.. But it still a ECU...

MK999
04-05-10, 10:12 AM
CU without the E maybe lol

dj_wudgey
04-05-10, 10:30 AM
i prefer to go without ecu's ha ha 40's ftw!

Benn
04-05-10, 11:14 AM
CU without the E maybe lol

No, electrical control unit.... Hence why i said its still an ecu...

Saloony
04-05-10, 07:23 PM
lol the nova is totally ECU-less, butch on the other hand does have a couple, but they are so basic its untrue. Done a bit of looking into them and they do whats required and thats it, no bells and whistles. Suits me lol

Mike
04-05-10, 07:31 PM
lol the nova is totally ECU-less, butch on the other hand does have a couple, but they are so basic its untrue. Done a bit of looking into them and they do whats required and thats it, no bells and whistles. Suits me lol

Corsa got loads :(

Airbags, Ignition, Fuelling, Interior electronics, exterior electronics.

And I only found out the other day Corsa;s have side parking lights aswell :eek: and the airbag light turns itself off once you reconnect it :confused: AND with the airbag out it idles at 1800rpm, plug it in an it idels at 850rpm lol

Dar
04-05-10, 09:22 PM
Craig Green, if your about next time I take my slow XE powered Nova out on track you can jump in for a passenger ride and see first hand what they are like when driven hard.

L14MNP
04-05-10, 09:23 PM
meh, RB26DET it, it'll fit, somewhere lol
It's still in the Mustang. lol