PDA

View Full Version : C12nz & High Octane Fuel

HASS
30-04-10, 11:26 AM
I want to start running higher octane fuel or octane booster in my C12NZ engined corsa, I have been told this can be done but i will need to change a small part which plugs into the loom, I have found this small plug which looks a bit like a blade fuse and i believe this is the part i need to change, i have been told this basically tells the ECU that the engine is using higher octane fuel and adjusts accordingly.

Any help or advise on this will be very much appreciated.

Paul

Stuart
30-04-10, 12:01 PM
high otctane as in?

and WHY?!?!?!??!

it wont give you much/anymore power than std.

craig green
30-04-10, 12:12 PM
Utter waste of money on such a low output engine. Save your cash FFS!, it's not like fuel isnt expensive enough anyway!!

For the record I tried a few octane boosters & additives last year in my turbo, only V-power made a noticeable difference & stopped the popping & banging from the exhaust. Just an observation but there must be something worth mentioning about that.

HASS
30-04-10, 12:31 PM
The engine is in a Junior Autograss Special and we are trying everything we can to squeeze a bit more power out of it within the rules, and this was something that was mentioned recently.

Stuart
30-04-10, 12:46 PM
there 'might' be a RON plug, but its not going to advance that much in reality.

You'd get more from decking the head and using the high octane fuel to control the detonation

mowgli
30-04-10, 01:06 PM
you simply take the ron plug out & turn it round then refit it.. it might get you a bit of hp, but only 1 maybe 2 if it is a restricted class

HASS
30-04-10, 01:35 PM
OK thank you very much for the advise. I will forget that idea then as it doesnt sound like i am going to gain anything at all !

MattBrown
30-04-10, 01:48 PM
The engine is in a Junior Autograss Special and we are trying everything we can to squeeze a bit more power out of it within the rules, and this was something that was mentioned recently.

My boy here says they have to run on pump fuel.

Wire in 2 resistors to the fuel reg thingy, makes it fuel harder, stick a 1.4 cam in it.

Or just play by the rules.

Racing fuel is about £35 a gallon:thumb:

Sloth
30-04-10, 01:52 PM
buy a 2.0 8v, and grind the numbers off it, then stamp c12nz into it. job jobbed. :d

Jon_nova1
30-04-10, 02:06 PM
pffft, stick a 1.4 crank in there, that'll do the thing lol

Guderian
30-04-10, 05:21 PM
HASS you might find a thread originated by me somewhere on this.

The standard RON plug that comes with the car is typically black and marked for 95/91 (premium or crappy continental petrol) There is a brown RON plug available which allows you to choose 98/95 ranges (ie super/premium.)

I will freely admit that it does not make a great deal of difference; there is a slight improvement in MPG and a bit more buzz from 3000rpm upwards.

As i did this mod for a quid after plundering the component from a mk3 cav, i felt quite pleased in budget terms, But yes, you will be paying more for jungle juice.

The socket in the car has 3 pins and the plug has 2, so turning it round you are selecting a different basic timing for the ignition. There is a tiny arrow on the socket which points to your selection, be it 98,95, whatever. You could even engineer this to a switch on the dash if you wanted, just makes it more convenient to change the setting when v-power or similar is not available.

I think i gained average 0.7 second from 40-60mph. Not huge!

Jack
07-05-10, 08:25 PM
I thought it was just a case of rotating the plug tells the ECU which map to use, as a sort of simple throw switch? As a 1.2 was only designed with a 91 and 95 map, fitting a 95/98 plug won't magically add in a new ignition map...

puss puss
07-05-10, 11:20 PM
I thought it was just a case of rotating the plug tells the ECU which map to use, as a sort of simple throw switch? As a 1.2 was only designed with a 91 and 95 map, fitting a 95/98 plug won't magically add in a new ignition map...

+1

Guderian
10-05-10, 08:53 AM
Hmm. Think i'm right in saying that the 98 plug DOES re-map the ignition on the standard ECU. Harsher noise at medium revs and open throttle,which i associate with extra advance..also there was the acceleration difference.. The only random element i did not exclude was wishful thinking- maybe should have had a second party changing the settings and letting me drive without telling me whether 91/95/98!