PDA

View Full Version : Cat C - Can I find out what was damaged?

Stuart
29-04-10, 10:32 PM
I've found a car that fits the bill, but its a Cat C. I dont have a real problem with this aslong as the work was done properly/everything is traceable.

Is there an easy way of finding out what damage happened to it to see if the repair is right? I have the number plate if that helps

stupot89
29-04-10, 10:47 PM
as far as im aware there is no way to find out what damage was/has been done my advice is take a magnet to check for major filler work on all the panels pull back door rubbers check for joins that may hasve been made lift carpets in boot

General Baxter
29-04-10, 10:54 PM
over spray lol

mr5050
29-04-10, 11:43 PM
ask seller? failing that just give it a thorough once over and if you dont notice anything untoward, they obviously done a good job. i would advise you to get it on a jig a make sure its not slightly twisted and check wheels are not cambered

Mike
29-04-10, 11:46 PM
As far as I kno unfortunatly there isnt, unless you can trace the Insurer that condemed it, or the salvage company that resold it (if applicable)

Short of that its nosey around every nook & cranny looking for any out of place new bolts/nuts/wiring loom/panel seal/overspray etc etc

CoolTiger
30-04-10, 12:03 AM
on the log book sometimes says where the damage is ie my corsa says rear end damage, just check the factory spot weld areas joins on the pillars ecrt also remember it could be a write off due to engine becuase with any engine damage they have to replace it

Ben
30-04-10, 01:48 AM
on the log book sometimes says where the damage is ie my corsa says rear end damage, just check the factory spot weld areas joins on the pillars ecrt also remember it could be a write off due to engine becuase with any engine damage they have to replace it

Please scan that in so we can see as i have dealt in Salavge for years and NEVER heard or seen of that.

As Mike said really unless you can trace it back to the insurance company or garage that done the estimate. TBH i dont think it makes any difference it being on the register most cars on the road have been shunted at some point and have seen far harder cars repaired than most write offs.

As also said go and have a good look round it and if you cant see what it was then the reapirs have been done well enough. Just a side not just because its had a VIC that means NOTHING about the quality of the repairs carried out it literally means the plates and chassis numbers matched up, I have Vic checked cars which havent been repaired (which completely defeats the object of the whole vosa check but suited me).

One of the best ways of checking is a test drive to see if all the door shuts shut properly eg no howling wind etc. Also check for flood damage as i know your looking for a derv so could depend how deep it went swimming.

be staright up with the seller and ask what, they are BOUND to say it was a little knock but worth a shot.

Stuart
30-04-10, 09:40 AM
I have no problems with a recorded car, its just not knowing what was borked lol. I'll call up and have a good ole chat with the dealer.

Jon_nova1
30-04-10, 09:46 AM
what aboves say, if you can find out who it was insured by, you can get pictures of the damage when they took it to thier depot if you ask nicely

Stuart
30-04-10, 09:49 AM
what aboves say, if you can find out who it was insured by, you can get pictures of the damage when they took it to thier depot if you ask nicely

cool :)

I found a cat D signum on a salvage site and my god it was utterly fooked lol so the cat C is a bit of a ponder

joff-turbo-nova
30-04-10, 01:29 PM
cool :)

I found a cat D signum on a salvage site and my god it was utterly fooked lol so the cat C is a bit of a ponder

The wifes Meriva was meant to be a cat C for missing keys and a missing driver side front door.

I think it just depends on the age and mileage of the car when the damage occurs - a 09 plate car will have substantially more damage on it than an 03 plate car on the same rating (C/D etc)

Joff

Mike
30-04-10, 02:11 PM

Dont talk wet sunshine lol on Cat C motors the logbook says "Substantially damaged and/or accident damaged; identity checked on insert/date/here"

BTW IIRC Cat D does not show on logbook as you dont need a VIC for a D. My Corsa got Cat D for nothing more then a drivers side wing, headlight, windscreen, door & bonnet*

*Note to self - watch out for motorbikes...

Rexy
30-04-10, 05:49 PM
you already have the answer stu, your eyes are your only guide in this one fella.

and in honesty mate, i know a good few car which should be cat B or C whch are still on the road and HP clear lol ;) very naughty indeed but it happens.

Stuart
30-04-10, 06:29 PM
The car itself looks ok enough, but the 'dealer' looks shifty as funk so we are leaving this one

Andy
01-05-10, 07:59 AM
Im sorry but your talking out of your rectum.My Nova was Cat C and says fukk all what damage.Ive seen loads of Cat c logbooks and they have never said what damage lol.You never know what damage happened till you view it.Ive picked up a few Cat C's for people from Copart when i was recovering and they only give a brief description of damage.If you have viewed or seen a few you usually know how and what has happened to them.Twoc'er abuse examples are usually easy to spot amongst them.

Ben
03-05-10, 09:31 PM
Stu as you know i have given countless examples of high end price spec etc that are cat x or d and are fubarred and cat c's with a light scratch!

Stuart
03-05-10, 09:43 PM
Stu as you know i have given countless examples of high end price spec etc that are cat x or d and are fubarred and cat c's with a light scratch!

I know, and the car itself looks great, but the dealer looks like a shifty mofo lol

its been forsale for atleast 9 months and from what I can work out, so have most of the rest of their stock.... walking right past that lot, even though its 'perfect' for what we want :(

16v Nova Kev
03-05-10, 09:51 PM
in my experience most cat c's are just down to unecomnomical repair. we bought 3 audi 80 convertables all cat c's one was humped up the ass and not really fixable the other 2 just had broken headlights/grill and bumper damage.