PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust question...

techie
26-04-03, 09:28 AM
In the search for a matching four branch manifold and system I have found things a little difficult for the 1.6 GSi. I want to keep costs down so im going for mild steel.

I have been told by a supplier that Ashley dont do one for the GSi but the 1300/1400 SR exhaust they do will fit as its the same bore etc. The main difference and why you cant fit a SR system to a GSi manifold is that they join in a difference place. But if im buying a complete mainifold and system they will mate up ok and do the job.

This make sense to you lot? Get the idea myself just fancied some other gen.

locky
26-04-03, 10:28 AM
I think i see what ur aon about Techie, the backboxes are universal, apart from mk1 + 2 coz of a cut in the bimper, or something, neway, if ur getting the system, and the manifold, all should be good, but itll be a 4-1 i think instead of a 4-2-1! does the system come with a downpipe? u will need the 1.3/1.4 downpipe aswell,
so, 1.3/1.4-manifold,
1.3/1.4 downpipe,
1.3/1.4 centresection,
And a backbox which are universal!

If the exhaust ports on the 1.6 head, and the 1.4 head are the same,, the manifolds should match up!

I think thats sounds right!

CP
26-04-03, 01:48 PM
Yep if you are buying a complete system it will be OK

techie
26-04-03, 03:16 PM
The four branch manifold and down pipe are one bit.

The manifold comes from the head to join the system just under the sump.

locky
26-04-03, 03:19 PM
Ah rite, all ull need is the centre section n backbox! :D

techie
26-04-03, 03:26 PM
Indeed.

The manifold and system (centre and backbox) from Ashely comes to ?250 inv VAt and delivery which seems good value for a complete system.

Thinking about getting it and sticking it on before I change the engine so there is less hassles with broken manifold bolts etc when we come to swap it over as it will all be new, if that makes sense.

Plus im fed up with the standard exhaust, its falling apart and looks gay.

locky
26-04-03, 03:52 PM
Lol, but then youd have 2 spend more money on gaskets! although they aint expensive!
But i spose itll give the backbox a chance 2 coke up a bit for a nice sound with the rebuilt engine!
Who are u gettin the exhaust from? i didnt realise systems had the backboxes, i thought they was just the downpipes and centre sections!

techie
26-04-03, 04:07 PM
Yeah mate the complete lot.

Manifold = Usually Four branch (one per cyl) which joins into two then one and then into system. Replaces manifold and downpipe as one unit for improved flow and max bhp increase.

System = Centre Section + Backbox

Centre Section = Centre section only

Back box = Back box only

Small picciy of a four branch manifold...

http://www.regal-shop.co.uk/asps/uploads/thumb/403.jpg

locky
26-04-03, 04:12 PM
Im lookin 2 get the ashley system! from rally design! ther quite good prices!

Jules
26-04-03, 07:22 PM
When I bought my 1.6SRT40 it was originally a 1.3SRT40, when I changed the 1.3 lump for the 1.6 (GTE) one I kept the Janspeed manifold and Mongoose system that I had on the 1.3, fitted fine with no problems.

HTH?

techie
26-04-03, 08:05 PM
Yes it does Jules ta.

Ashley exhaust it is then.

Cheers once again Novaload crew.

mikeoxford
27-04-03, 01:38 AM
When I bought my 1.6SRT40 it was originally a 1.3SRT40, when I changed the 1.3 lump for the 1.6 (GTE) one I kept the Janspeed manifold and Mongoose system that I had on the 1.3, fitted fine with no problems.

HTH?

:o

FREAKY exactly the same exhaust / manifold combo as me! and SIMILAR engine transplants

went from 1400 to 1600

exhaust swapped fine again also

NuTtY nOvA fLaIr
27-04-03, 01:45 AM
Techie have you thought about a full Sportex system as they might do 1 for the GSi its just a thought. craig

techie
27-04-03, 01:18 PM
I had thought about a Sportex system and the prices are about the same as a Ashley system. They also list one for the GSi. Just having probelms finding a dealer.