PDA

View Full Version : fitting a 2.0 prices

abbomaniac
28-04-10, 06:06 PM
Just wondered how much it would cost to fit a 2.0 16v red.top into a 1.2 nova know prices would vary but just a rough idea.please include buying all parts and engine etc and getting people to fit it.know this Can be hugely various just want a idea cheers

Stuart
28-04-10, 06:08 PM
what kind of "people" would you want/get to fit it?

abbomaniac
28-04-10, 06:11 PM
Either someone locally who could do it if I brought car engine etc or a garage After prices for both situations cheers

Riggy
28-04-10, 06:14 PM
as a rough guide id say

engine and box £350
shafts £100
engine mounts £50
brakes £50
fuel pump £20
oil/coolent etc £20

fitting can be done yourself but if you needed someone to do it then id say about £150 , we have done them for people for £100 - £200 including removal of old engine

you would also need your exhaust mating up to the xe manifold £50
and if you dont have good enough suspension then id add another £250 for some 2nd hand stuff

Lee
28-04-10, 06:17 PM
Bit of a tricky one to price up tbh as most of the bits will be SH and vary hugely in price.

You'll need an XE, an F20 or F16, 22 spline shafts and cav1.6 inners, an injection tank, pump and fuel lines, a fitting kit of some description (O/S engine mount and rear g/box spacers), some 2.0 front callipers, discs and pads, an XE exhaust manifold, and someone who can weld up your exhaust (or some spare cash for a stainless system).

Dont take it to a garage, find someone trusted to do it and help with the conversion yourself, even if you just watch this is the best way to learn your way around your car for when things go wrong.

EDIT took too long to write that lol

General Baxter
28-04-10, 06:45 PM
bring it around here, iv just opened a new bag of cable ties :)

Lee
28-04-10, 06:49 PM
^ dont take it round there lol

General Baxter
28-04-10, 06:57 PM
mine has not fell out lol

Spudly
28-04-10, 07:10 PM
mine has not fell out lol

Yet :p

16v Nova Kev
28-04-10, 07:14 PM

General Baxter
28-04-10, 07:24 PM
Yet :p

it wont ether, its held in by bolts, honest lol

Jon_nova1
28-04-10, 07:49 PM
Ask napalm for a quote

Jack
28-04-10, 09:14 PM
Don't forget to add in insurance & tax cost etc too.

And the cost of buying and fitting a V6 when you realise the XE is too slow :p

General Baxter
28-04-10, 09:26 PM
And the cost of buying and fitting a V6 when you realise the XE is too slow :p

im allready looking into this lol

ste porter
29-04-10, 02:21 AM
1k drive in drive out all parts suplied including seem welding and the the lads in here will vouch for the quality of the work i do or have a look for your self as my work is in mays tv and im having a meet and photo shoot of the work i do this sat let me know if your interested

napalm_27
29-04-10, 03:07 AM
£250 welded and fitted
then parts on top :thumb: best i can do

abbomaniac
29-04-10, 09:43 AM
Thank you for all your help , seems like I'm looking roughly 1k , think it might be worth my while to buy parts as I go then get in touch with someone on here to fit it haha. As to the quote about a v6 think the 2.0 will keep a smile on my face for a bit first ,does it take long to fit the 2.0 cheers for all your replies

blue_peg_16v
29-04-10, 09:53 AM
a day or 2 for ste

Ben
29-04-10, 09:56 AM
Can be done in a day quite easily.

abbomaniac
29-04-10, 10:03 AM
Really I had the idea of it taking longer than that ,bonus

blue_peg_16v
29-04-10, 10:05 AM
ste you have a pm

ste porter
29-04-10, 10:42 AM
replyed mate

as for conversion its not a massive job in terms of time just depends how quick you work and what model you start with as in a gsi shell will be a good few hours quicker as things like the tank and lines ect dont need to be changed for a proper job and everything done to a decent standard and with the required amount of care (and all the bits layed out in front of you)

day one should consist of drop the lump prep and weld the bay get primer on the bay if possable paint aswell
strip the car of brakes tank ect aswell and remove unecesery old wiring (spi model especialy) and do minor engine prep like flipping the linkage over cutting the lug of the box that fouls the tie bar ect

day 2 should be up away and in the shell plumbing shafts brakes linkage wiring ect and a test drive

morning of day 3 should be re torque wheels engine mount bolts check where its been stood for leaks ect

obviously ontop of that if your doing it right there will be a day of degreasing the engine and block striping it even if just the minimum of doing the sump and rocker gaskets and a fresh lick of paint aswell as what should be mandatory if you dont know the engines history of cambelt water pump plugs leads filters ect

Ben
29-04-10, 10:51 AM
Yeah my just to say my 1 day estimate was for a car in a garage all tools and everything needed around you incl a ready prepped engine and a suitable exhaust ready to go.

Lee
29-04-10, 10:56 AM
Just a word of warning though Ste, I suggest you dont source the engine and box, because if that sucker blows up within hours of collection you'll be in a world of poo. I NEVER source engine and box when doing a conversion for someone.

Stuart
29-04-10, 11:02 AM
Just a word of warning though Ste, I suggest you dont source the engine and box, because if that sucker blows up within hours of collection you'll be in a world of poo. I NEVER source engine and box when doing a conversion for someone.

mmmm Lee's saucy box

Ben
29-04-10, 11:03 AM

nor me!

I had a guy who used to use this forum want his xe changed, his mate had one that had been sat in his garage for 2 years (and as i found out afterwards from a stolen car) I charged him £150 for an in and out job, he didnt want it serviced or the cambelt etc done and when we fitted it it ran like a bag of spanners, the bottom end was knocking like fook.

He started moaning at me but sorry was not my issue i fitted it and it ran, i tried to do as much as possible but replacing the engine or sorting the knocking was not my responsibility.

blue_peg_16v
29-04-10, 11:06 AM

bloke that did my first xe found this he built it then found it had 8 bent valves so put his spare coscast head on it, i know theres no real benefit over the standard head but there worth alot more, but tbf i didnt even know till i picked it up he was realy good about it but would of peed me off tho having to use my own spares lol

GTE TURBZ
29-04-10, 11:13 AM
Is there someone on here that can do the 1.6 turbo conversion just like a drive in drive out service, would be really interested!!!

Whether it is the double head gasket conversion or prefably lowering the CR via modifying the block.

As Regal/coutenay charge loads, if someone on here with the know took it on as a service, there would be loads of people lining up to get it done.

Ive reads loads about it and before someone says do it yourself, i would be on that as i'm not that techy.

Had a 1.6t before and it was awesome hence.

Stuart
29-04-10, 11:24 AM
lmfao and what kind of warranty would you want?

MattBrown
29-04-10, 11:29 AM
as a rough guide id say

engine and box £350
shafts £100
engine mounts £50
brakes £50
fuel pump £20
oil/coolent etc £20

fitting can be done yourself but if you needed someone to do it then id say about £150 , we have done them for people for £100 - £200 including removal of old engine

you would also need your exhaust mating up to the xe manifold £50
and if you dont have good enough suspension then id add another £250 for some 2nd hand stuff

£150, you can fit mine.

CBA TO DO IT FOR THAT FELLA, £300 is what my mate charged, then I ended up doing it:wtf:

MattBrown
29-04-10, 11:31 AM
lmfao and what kind of warranty would you want?

This is the problem my mate has.

MW performance, very well know round here.

Sick of putting 15 year old engines in, chavs running them on £2 oil etc, limiter everywere, and then when they go boom, they bring them back and expect a refund! Tosserslol

MattBrown
29-04-10, 11:38 AM
£250 welded and fitted
then parts on top :thumb: best i can do

What insurance do you need to fit engines fella?

I know you have been looking into it:thumb:

blue_peg_16v
29-04-10, 11:41 AM
you will need public liabilities at the least to do it proper

abbomaniac
29-04-10, 11:42 AM
I used to work in a garage but only done servicing and threshing and exhausts so know only the basics but would defo service and get cambelt changed. What sort of cars like speed and performance wise would a converted nova be like ?

blue_peg_16v
29-04-10, 11:44 AM
old hot hatches dont expect to keep with new stuff like vxrs or focus st's etc

but it will be a reliable quick motor if looked after and done right will out run saxos etc

and there probably on a par with a saxo for build noise and squeeky but make you smile for some strange reason

Ben
29-04-10, 11:48 AM
But you would get better mpg than the newer stuff lol

abbomaniac
29-04-10, 11:54 AM
As in standard saxo vtr/vts.what about the 1.9 diesels you get trying to make them look petrol haha . If regularly serviced etc would they run ok or are they prone to problems ?

blue_peg_16v
29-04-10, 11:59 AM
there a very reliable engine as long as you look after them so regular serviceing etc,

thats why there still so popular with kit car builder are a strong reliable enginr with great tuning potential so can be easily upgraded at a later date

Stuart
29-04-10, 12:10 PM
a 'std'ish XE'd nova will be as fast in a straight line as a vx220 N/A... and I've been utterly humped in a straight line by TDCI focus's lol

ste porter
30-04-10, 01:04 AM
lee i know what your saying and thats why i cant do it no cheaper than 1k and for that it would have belts pump sump gasket and rocker cover gasketect as basics that way while i have the sump of i can check for any visual signs of damage to anything such as masses of play on the big ends signs of damage on the main gears in the oil pump ect

also my work i will gaurente parts ect i wont simple as and in regards to engine ect that sort of thing i would run past the customer before i brought it aswell as a compression test ect

i know what your saying though about the risk but that said even if they buy the lump you fit it and it goes bang one way or another it will be your fault as far as there concerned thats why i make it clear as possable from day 1 before i start that parts ect i am in no way responsable for and the engine will only be as good as what your prepared to spend on it
if you want to spend an extra 300-400 on rebuild parts im more than happy to rebuild it and if something goes wrong then i would take responsability but if you agree to to me buying a certain engine and want to throw it straight in as it is because the previous owner said that it was brand new and making 4 million horse power.
Then when it goes in runs like a dog and has nearer 40 bhp then thats not my resposnsability

novapaul1988
22-02-11, 09:29 PM
ste how much for you to do a 4x4 conversion on my lil nova prices with and with out supplying all the necesary parts and how long would it take roughly. cheers