PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding engines

brizie69
25-04-03, 06:21 PM
rite im trying 2 build a fast(ish) 1.2, iv already stripped down must of the engine,i need 2 no wot parts i need 2 replace when rebuilding the engine.

i no i should replace gaskets etc but wot else? another question, would using a single 40 instead of twin 40s b better as 2 not over fuel it?

oh and any help on tuning the engine would b most appreciated!

plz dnt say put in a 1.3 or bigger cuz im trying 2 b different & see wot can b done with the 1.2 :wink:

cheers
bri

Stuart
25-04-03, 07:06 PM
grrr ffs when will people stop stealing my idea. its taken me 4 years to get vaugely inspired to do it lol

get the head stripped, cleaned up and do some mild porting (no polishing)

ive got a 1.4 cam (cheers cp) which may do a suitable job.
and a webber 26/28 (not massive i know but that may change once i get it on the flow bench)

as for the bottom end do a meticulous rebuild. new GM gaskets for everything. tyr to "blue print" it ie get everything to the max of the tollerences.

have fun

nova dosed
25-04-03, 07:16 PM
blue print? Whats the best gaskets for the money u can have on a nova i normally buy a gasket kit for ?15 at trade(ish) price thats bolts and everything.

Stuart
25-04-03, 07:19 PM
gaskets get GM ones

blue print is a term used which mean that you measure everything that you put back on the engine, if it isnt big/small enough then get a different bit. its meant so that you get the absolute best out of the tolerences. ie you get a cam thats at its max on the tollerences so you get a fraction more lift and duration.

sounds petty but every little counts. and it will be more reliable. you can even measure the bolts and make sure thay are all the same etc

nova dosed
25-04-03, 07:32 PM
i cnt see bolt makin difference on length but i see what u mean about exact say u got ya car camed right and u have 2 mm wear on followers and tappets ur loosing lift. So get new ones and in theory the extra 2mm u gain wud increase ur performance abit.

burgo
25-04-03, 07:37 PM
u can use twin 40's but u have to fit smaller chokes accordin to this bloke ive chatted to and if u have got the engine stripped u cant go rong with gettin it all balanced and wen u have got it all back together a desent exhaust manifold will do wonders

brizie69
25-04-03, 07:39 PM
cheers 4 the advice cambridge, oh yeh soz 4 stealing ur idea :wink: lol

how hard is 2 do the porting iv got a rough idea how2 do it,il have2 try on an old head, no in my luck il fcuk up!

were would i get a inlet manifold 2 put the 40 on?

so wots better getting the 1.4 sr cam or gettin a kent cam or simalier

cheers
bri

Stuart
25-04-03, 08:06 PM
er the lifters you'd change anyway lol

as for the porting tic an be tricky. ive read vizzards book on it and ive got an idea as to where to take mterial form and also where to put it back.

theres lots of little things that can be done. its jsut trial and eorror if you havent got the testing equiptment

mikeoxford
25-04-03, 11:16 PM
er the lifters you'd change anyway

YOU HAVE TO change them or use theones that came with the cam

nova dosed
26-04-03, 03:19 AM
sum 1 said sumet about if ur changing cam then all u have to do is drain old lifters if u dnt wanna by new ones

burgo
26-04-03, 11:14 AM
u can just drai the lifters wot u do is get ya self a vice and just squeeze em in the until no more oil comes out u kno wen there empt cos ull be able to compress em with ya fingures if u dont get the oil out it makes it a bitch to start after rebuilding trust me me dads a mechanic and has bin for 20 years and thats how he showed me

brizie69
26-04-03, 05:19 PM
finally got the box and bottom end out, was interestin with no engine crane :o

so any1 got any more tuning advice and any more things i should b changing in the rebuild, man its going 2 b fun putting it back 2gether!

oh yeh does any1 no were 2 get a 4in2 1 manifold 4 the 1.2?

cheers
bri

kieran
26-04-03, 06:18 PM
get a 4 into 1 cut it and get three 2 into 1 adoptors from demontweek

nova dosed
26-04-03, 10:09 PM
u can just drai the lifters wot u do is get ya self a vice and just squeeze em in the until no more oil comes out u kno wen there empt cos ull be able to compress em with ya fingures if u dont get the oil out it makes it a bitch to start after rebuilding trust me me dads a mechanic and has bin for 20 years and thats how he showed me

thats what i was told to do as well but dnt forget to put a rag around the nlifter or u'll get oil everywhere :lol:

mikeoxford
27-04-03, 01:31 AM
er the lifters you'd change anyway

YOU HAVE TO change them or use theones that came with the cam

i keep loosing my marbles.

i meant u need to use the ROCKER ARMS not lifters

you need new rocker arms for deinfite OR the ones that came with the cam your installing

nova dosed
27-04-03, 04:34 AM
uea thats right as ya cnt drain them lol. Plus its best to get them in the right order 23 nah fcuk it buy new ones best be safe.

burgo
29-04-03, 05:52 PM
i think u can use the 1.3 sr manifold altho u have to shorten ya system for it to fit

mikeoxford
29-04-03, 08:01 PM
i have 2x 1.4SR exhaust systems for sale...........

dathers
04-05-03, 01:49 AM
Rather than just emptying the lifters you can totally strip them down in to component parts,give everything a really good clean with petrol or some kind of solvent.
Coat the parts with clean engine oil before you reassemble them.
Id strip em down while you have the head off,even though they may work ok they are probably alot stiffer than they should be,which can cause that annoying ticking noise.
I striped and cleaned mine and it doesnt tick at all now,just ticks for a second or two on startup in the morning.
Dave

Stuart
04-05-03, 10:54 AM
i stripped the lifters the ohter day, i got 3 appart by hand the est needed a vice and pry bar lmao

be careful not to dent the "smooth" inner face, other wise it will stick :s yes i did it lol, but wet and dried the dents out so its round again.

they move by hand now which is nice, jsut got to get the head work done