PDA

View Full Version : mental health advice

burgo
27-04-10, 04:45 PM
is there any mental health professionals on here or do any of you know who i can call as i seem to be getting no where at the moment :(

basically i have this friend who has invented 15 people that i know, she has used these people to convince other people that she has been going through all sorts and upto now had two kids. none of which has happened!! she desperately needs help and asap as im pretty sure shes arranged with someone to allow her to disappear on thursday which cant happen!!

although this may be in muppet corner its a very serious topic which i genuinely need help with so any cu nts wanna take the piss ill exercise my ban stick!!

djbrowney
27-04-10, 04:49 PM
this is no piss take burgo if you ring the samartians they will give you a phone number of some one who will be able to help.

hope you get it sorted !!!

mowgli
27-04-10, 04:54 PM
unfortunately, the first port of call is the womans GP, or social worker, if she has one. it sounds like she needs to be 'sectioned'. the big problem is knowing what is the quickest way to get her a psychiatric consultation.... maybe try to get her into an A&E dept, but if she is not in a distressed state, they can't do much.

muzzy
27-04-10, 04:58 PM
If you cannot get her to a GP or the hospital then try ringing the Samaritans as has been said, they will be able to help you with what to do and who to contact, also how you might be able to go about persuading her to see a professional. The other option is to call NHS 24 although I don't know how much help they would/could be in this situation.

Stuart
27-04-10, 04:59 PM
unfortunately if said person dosent admit anything is wrong then there is sweet FA you can get done about it. You can make recomendations to her GP to call her in for something but its a long/slow shot.

My dad has gone through some sort of breakdown/illness and claims hes fine but we know differently and all we can do is slap (verbally) him when he does wrong or inform his GP who will call him in but as you can imagine thats a good week between start and end

mowgli
27-04-10, 05:04 PM
try this link

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinformation/thementalhealthteam.aspx

burgo
27-04-10, 05:05 PM
tried the samaritans and they were no help :(. currently she doesnt have a GP or a social worker or anything.

its looking more likely the route im going to have to go down is getting the police involved, as obviously with inventing these people she has stolen there photos aswell so theres an identity theft case. far from the nicest route but at least she might get the help she needs

Stuart
27-04-10, 05:05 PM
Got to be cruel to be kind im afraid.

burgo
27-04-10, 05:07 PM
Got to be cruel to be kind im afraid.i know :(. im currently compiling a file/case study/report whatever you wanna call it of everything ive found which i can present to whoever needs to see it

mowgli
27-04-10, 05:08 PM
oh man, have you ever tried getting someone arrested????? it will take months & months and they will haul her in & after a couple of hours, she will be out again.. you will have to quadruple check all of your facts, and when she denies it, she will be out on police bail for months and you'll be frustrated.

Stuart
27-04-10, 05:09 PM
I know Bedford hospital have wahts called a crisis team for mental illness, might be worth seeing if your local hospital has something similar too. They will take it seriously and investigate.

burgo
27-04-10, 05:10 PM
oh man, have you ever tried getting someone arrested????? it will take months & months and they will haul her in & after a couple of hours, she will be out again.. you will have to quadruple check all of your facts, and when she denies it, she will be out on police bail for months and you'll be frustrated.mowgli i wouldnt even be at this stage if i wasnt 110% sure. i have been working on this for a couple of weeks now and have found the original owners of some of the photo's and they are pretty keen to get the police involved aswell!

I know Bedford hospital have wahts called a crisis team for mental illness, might be worth seeing if your local hospital has something similar too. They will take it seriously and investigate.

cheers stu ill see what i can find :)

NovaLad
27-04-10, 05:16 PM
Couldn't you set up some sort of CCTV hidden cameras to catch her in these states for evidence to go along with your report?

Having he photo's original owners is a great start so they can testify (sp).

mowgli
27-04-10, 05:17 PM
burgo, the front desk at all police stations is designed specifically to stop people reporting crimes......go down there & demand that you make a complaint against this person, the other people will need to do so too, but you will be hitting a brick wall unless she has actually done anything illegal to you...stress that she is a flight risk & in a fragile mental state & see what they do, but you will have one hell of a fight on your hands

Jack
27-04-10, 05:55 PM
You're best bet is a harassment charge, but penalties are minimal. A restraining order could work, but it wouldn't exactly get the person the care the obviously need, and they could still beaver away at other people.

Identity theft could lead to them being hauled up in court and result in a psychological evaluation which would go on from there. It'd be a hard one to pin though, unless said person is using other people's identities for financial gain. Just nicking someone else's pics and pretending that person is someone else wouldn't really get you anywhere.

Pete
27-04-10, 06:45 PM
Get her sectioned, i know its not nice. but if you ring up here local GP and get the on call doctor to come to her house or where ever it is she's staying. then he can do an assesment on here and find out if she has mental health issues. and if she has then he can get her sectioned by passing the info on.

or speak to someone from a place called MIND which is a mental health charity and see what they say :)

(my ex step dad was a care home manager who use to work at a mental health care home. he did the exact thing like i said. and then the police get involved once the matter has been passed on)

burgo
27-04-10, 06:55 PM
ive called MIND and they were no help either :(

muzzy
27-04-10, 06:56 PM
I'm amazed at the lack of help you are receiving, there has to be some way for family or friends of people with serious mental health issues to report them and be taken seriously, they are the people who notice these problems happening!

Pete
27-04-10, 07:00 PM
ive called MIND and they were no help either :(
i dont know then buddy, if i still spoke to my ex step dad im sure he could help more. but i honestly dont know.
i know those 2 things that he did but thats it...

i know this may sound stupid. why not try ringing a care home that deal in the issue and see what they say and who they ring and what procedures they follow?
im sure someone will be able to tell you?

mrT
27-04-10, 07:31 PM
one of my good mates was acting weird doin stupid things, and havin weird thoughts etc,to be honest he was a funking nightmare but stood by him as we've both been in the army in seen/done **** most hard cunts would cry about,he has a lot going for him with a good job offshore etc but his dad paid him off until he got help....he says hes ok in no one would entertain us when we tried to get help...so we arranged a medical for him at local doctors in said it was for goin back offshore,but we,d spoken to the doc before in told him what was goin on....the doctor then ordered him into a mental health rehab straight away and hes been there for three months,hes due out in not to long and i have seen a great improvment,i know it sounds a bit drastic but it worked in thats what matters......a neighbour tried to get her soon into the same mental care home about the same time and was told refused so tried other ways in got nowhere,then a week later he was charged with murdering a friend

if i was you i,d keep tryin every way,it might be cruel/crude ways in behind their back but hey...at the end of the day if it fails least you tried....good luck as its a long road tbh:thumb:

ben doodar
27-04-10, 08:15 PM
Sorry if I missed something Burgo. But apart from having these conditions/symptoms what has the girl done wrong? I understand if you don't want to go I to full details. My step dads brother has had serious mental health issues as long as I can remeber. But this talk of going to the police isn't going to get anywhere, unless she has done something illegal, again sorry if this has allready been mentioned, or a serious risk to herself Or others.

saloonwoody
27-04-10, 08:49 PM
holy ****es dude ! have you got any advice from your gp ? how old is she ? any other symptoms ?

mowgli
27-04-10, 09:09 PM
burgo, i checked with the missus (a senior nurse) and unless your friend is actually going to admit that she needs help and is not showing any outward signs of distress, the system can do nothing...if you could get her really close family, ie: parents, or siblings to get involved, you are going to be out of luck, it stinks but it is the system we have.....

this is why people have stabbed random strangers in the street to get themselves institutionalised

Jack
27-04-10, 09:17 PM
Hayley says...

The police CAN section her under section 136 of the mental health act, but only if she's in a public place and if she acts mental when they see her.

Harassment orders are done through the courts and solicitors, not the police, so they won't help there.

But if she threatens you, the police will get involved as its harassment. She could get arrested and her bail conditions would be to not go anywhere near or contact you (effectively a restraining order, as I said above).

Make sure you keep ALL messages from her - facebook messages of any sort, emails, texts, date/time of phone calls, etc. This will all add up to evidence which the police will need.

...that is what Hayley says :)

burgo
28-04-10, 09:37 AM
Sorry if I missed something Burgo. But apart from having these conditions/symptoms what has the girl done wrong? I understand if you don't want to go I to full details. My step dads brother has had serious mental health issues as long as I can remeber. But this talk of going to the police isn't going to get anywhere, unless she has done something illegal, again sorry if this has allready been mentioned, or a serious risk to herself Or others.she has hurt an awful lot of people in doing what she has. her family all believed she gave birth to a little girl last monday so have been out and bought stuff for her and stuff!! thats just the start, its really not good.

anywho ive been up all night finding and collecting even more evidence and ive managed to get her to agree to meet me today :d so with all this extra evidence i can hopefully get her to agree to go to the hospital with me. i had a word with a friend of mine who works at the hospital going off stu's advice and it seems there is a special mental health unit so thats what im aiming for.

Stuart
28-04-10, 09:48 AM
How the hell has she convinced her family she had a baby!!! thats some impressive scenario creation.

She needs uber help. And you need to have someone keep an eye on you too as this kind of stress etc can really take its toll on the person helping.

burgo
28-04-10, 09:52 AM
How the hell has she convinced her family she had a baby!!! thats some impressive scenario creation.

She needs uber help. And you need to have someone keep an eye on you too as this kind of stress etc can really take its toll on the person helping.

she convinced her family by getting these fake people involved. her family thought she had been staying with them for two months and all sorts lol, its proper complex **** and although i have proved it 100% now i still doubt myself simply because of how nuts it is.

lol my family seem to think im some kind of super human to have worked all this out and carry on as if nothing has happened and just care about helping her. i am honestly fine, little sleep deprived but thats my choice and until its sorted my brain wont shut up and let me sleep properly anyway.

mowgli
28-04-10, 10:02 AM
that is some serious sh!t, hope it goes ok today

Pete
28-04-10, 11:08 AM
hope it goes well today burgo, for both of your sakes :) your a good lad for helping here tho :)

burgo
07-05-10, 08:34 PM
thought i would update this. managed to get tanya to go to the docs yesterday :) just as i thought the gp couldnt really do much, he got her to fill out an anxiety questionnaire and then just referred her to counselling. go back to the front desk to book her in and they are booked up completely as far as july which is as far as they go with booking, however the woman on the desk knows them down there and is gonna try and pull some strings apparently, gonna call Tan on monday with what she has managed to sort out. they offered her to choice of medication or counselling aswell :s quite what medication can do is beyond me lol

NovaLad
07-05-10, 08:37 PM
Top stuff Burgo!!!
It;s a start i guess.
Hope everything pans out just nicely!

Stuart
07-05-10, 08:41 PM
Cool.

Antidepressants basically give your brain the 'high' it needs to operate correctly so you can sort your life out to get the 'high' required without the meds

thats a very simplified version of it lol

burgo
07-05-10, 08:55 PM
well being as it was an 'or' choice i think the counselling is definitely the one to go for, even though i can see she might get some benefit from the meds

Andy
07-05-10, 09:55 PM
keep an eye on friend still,those anti depressants can make you feel worse before they make you better.(Yes ive done courses of them) Im currently in the process of going for an assessment for counselling,im fine now but theres underlying stuff from years ago that happened to me/around me,that needs sorting out.Hope all goes well