PDA

View Full Version : Drove a mk1 nova Sr last night

ben doodar
27-04-10, 01:06 PM
A mate of mine has just recently bought a mk1 nova Sr 1.4 in 100% unmodified condition. A proper grandad special don't think the ashtrays ever been used or the cig lighter.
Having not seen it before I went up to meet him last night at redesmere On the a34 (some may no where this is) he let me have a go up n around the lanes, having not driven a nova for nearly two years it was ace! Definatly made my mind up to build my project into a mk1. getting out of my tdi mk4 golf and into the nova was bizzare, I forgot how basic they were. Made me feel about 13 again when my older brothers and there mates all used to have mk1 nova sr's. Made me think if putting my LET into my nova is going to kind of ruin the heart of the little nova. I Couldn't stop chuckling as I was driving it. Awesome!! :thumb:

Jack
27-04-10, 06:03 PM
I drove Martin's 1.2 last year.

I spent the entire time laughing at how bad it was lol

craig green
27-04-10, 06:06 PM

oi :(

They are a world apart from modern cars but they really do have some charm, esp the SR's that handled OK from the factory & the little 1300's & 1400's pulled so well for their size.

I annhialate bigger cars on a daily basis in my mk1, in the corners. :d

muzzy
27-04-10, 06:08 PM
I'm still enjoying having my MK2 SR as an every day car, the MK4 Astra just wasn't my kind of car. The Mrs hates the Nova though, she's had two previously but has joined the power steering fan club so she is sticking with her 206!

Mike
27-04-10, 06:08 PM
I drove a Yaris VVTi an much preffered it over a Nova lol

puss puss
27-04-10, 06:35 PM

iirc arent they them vvti things 1.0? I think the one i went in was

well it was slow, didnt handle well, felt cheap (even cheaper then the nova imo)

but the dash with the speed and rev counter i kinda like lol :thumb:

Mike
27-04-10, 06:37 PM
iirc arent they them vvti things 1.0? I think the one i went in was

well it was slow, didnt handle well, felt cheap (even cheaper then the nova imo)

but the dash with the speed and rev counter i kinda like lol :thumb:

1.0, 1.3 & 1.5

Went over a speed hump at 70ish & didnt feel a thing :) nothing fell off so its infinetly better then a Nova lol

puss puss
27-04-10, 06:47 PM
1.0, 1.3 & 1.5

Went over a speed hump at 70ish & didnt feel a thing :) nothing fell off so its infinetly better then a Nova lol

ahh i see i didnt kno they did others the 1.0 was poo lol

ahh i remember the 1st time i got my dare i say it corsa b sri 8v. We went to go view it me and my old man went to go test drive it, while he was driving i said to him go on then old boy give it some. He said ok plantted his foot down. He said well it goes well and well my face must of been like >>:eek: :cool:

Couldnt belive that it was going to be my car and when we payed up for it got it home and i got insured in it i was the happyest man in the world.

coming from a 1.0l pushrod nova into a sri 8v corsa was amazing. I remember doing 100mph on my private runway and the windscreen wipers used to flap up and down lol so had to change them :)

o how i do miss that car :( o well got a nova now lol

Mike
27-04-10, 07:01 PM
Corsa SRi's are pretty nippy TBH. Every Corsa B has the same problem with the wipers tho :(

vaughanmc
27-04-10, 07:03 PM
1.0, 1.3 & 1.5

1.3 VVTi Yaris' - They go allright for what they are

The Digidash in them is cool as well

MattBrown
27-04-10, 07:04 PM

So did lee leg:thumb:

Bubba
27-04-10, 07:06 PM

They are a world apart from modern cars but they really do have some charm, esp the SR's that handled OK from the factory & the little 1300's & 1400's pulled so well for their size.

I annhialate bigger cars on a daily basis in my mk1, in the corners. :d

i had my mates 106 with a vtr lump :P uphill...lol and his is 100 odd bhp lol lol and its french lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

SRimon
27-04-10, 07:09 PM
Yep, a good fun car to drive a standard SR.

craig green
27-04-10, 07:11 PM
People are too quick to judge them on the shonky, 12 owner, 120k mile P.O.S, beaters their mates had.

A nicely looked after & maintained SR is a nice drive.

Mike
27-04-10, 07:12 PM
Yep, a good fun car to drive a standard SR.

True, its one car ive owned that I do miss actually. The near factory standard K reg SR i used to have :(

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/mikenova/1668big2.jpg

bmw156
27-04-10, 07:20 PM
I drove Martin's 1.2 last year.

roflcopter, that was well funny. noise pedal.

I annhialate bigger cars on a daily basis in my mk1, in the corners.

craig what do you prefer, mk1 or mk2?

craig green
27-04-10, 07:21 PM
craig what do you prefer, mk1 or mk2?

Tbh it makes no difference, other than a mk2 dash is quieter. Oh & carb engines are better than SPi.

vaughanmc
27-04-10, 07:24 PM
Early Mk1 FTW

bmw156
27-04-10, 07:25 PM
Tbh it makes no difference, other than a mk2 dash is quieter. Oh & carb engines are better than SPi.

yeh i suppose. i was so happy when i swapped the dash. so much better then a mk1 dash lol

ben doodar
27-04-10, 07:52 PM
I've drove quiet alot of novas over the years n not one has driven as good as this. It has 60k on it but seems to have had an easy life! Still has the factory tool kit in the boot and the under bonnet light! Has a few parking dents here n there but they just add charactor IMO! will have to get some pics this week. That's what I mean bout putting the let in. Kinda ruins the heart of the nova. There's a real old boy with a white mk1 Sr round my way, I need to sneak up to him in tescos and.............. BOO!!!!!

Jack
27-04-10, 09:24 PM
roflcopter, that was well funny. noise pedal.
lol

I seriously thought it was running out of revs, looked down and the digidash is reading around the 3k mark! Good times :d

mowgli
27-04-10, 09:30 PM
i remember the first time i drove a nova, june1986, 20 mins after passing my test, belting down a big hill trying to get 100 on the clock.....1.2 merit, 145r13 firestone dry weather tyres, no ARB's no radio, 1600miles on the clock, borrowed from my grandma...........then the first time i drove a corsa b, this girl i worked with had one as a courtesy car when her astra conv went in for warranty work, and she hated it, it was way too slow she said... & let me have a go in it. at one point she asked me what the funny noise was, it was the back tyres chirping as i was 4 wheel drifting