PDA

View Full Version : Who Moved My Cheese

bmw156
26-04-10, 08:19 PM
has anybody read this book.

its excellent.

Dave.
27-04-10, 01:30 AM
I remember this being on an episode of Two Pints Of Lager & A Packet Of Crisps yeeeaaarrrssss ago

Looks like a good read lol

rubachuk
27-04-10, 09:11 AM
No, but I remember my old MD waffling on about somebody moving his cheese in a presentation a few years back. I only vaguely knew what he was talking about because he'd lent the book to a guy who I worked on a project with and he told me a bit about it. Very funny to see 90% of the people wondering WTF he was on about.

phazer
27-04-10, 04:36 PM
Yep. It sounds like any old management bull, however it's a great read and makes you look at things from a different perspective.

bmw156
27-04-10, 07:31 PM
Yep. It sounds like any old management bull, however it's a great read and makes you look at things from a different perspective.

yeh deffo. i think its great.
surprisingly my GM gave it to me as well lol

Mike
27-04-10, 07:40 PM
Never heard of it before but just having a looksy at it via Google, sounds like an interesting read though actually :)

bmw156
27-04-10, 07:43 PM
Never heard of it before but just having a looksy at it via Google, sounds like an interesting read though actually :)

yeh there is a pdf version, about 40 pages long. pm me for a link :)

djbrowney
27-04-10, 07:56 PM
i really wish i had the time to read :(

also i could be able to sit still for more than 5 seconds :(

steviegsi
28-04-10, 12:36 AM
I remember this being on an episode of Two Pints Of Lager & A Packet Of Crisps yeeeaaarrrssss ago

Looks like a good read lol

That was ''PIGGY GOES OINK'' i believe mate (although i could be wrong). lol :thumb:

Dave.
28-04-10, 12:43 AM
That was ''PIGGY GOES OINK'' i believe mate (although i could be wrong). lol :thumb:

Thats in the same episode lol, Donna's reading Who moved my cheeze, then goes onto Piggy goes oink lol

NovaLad
28-04-10, 01:22 AM
Am i the only person who has read this thread - searched about the book and what it's about and thought WTF!

phazer
28-04-10, 07:13 PM
Am i the only person who has read this thread - searched about the book and what it's about and thought WTF!

lol buy it and read it. It's all about how we feel at work and our personal lives when someone does something to change the status quo, i.e takes away or moves us out of our comfort zone. If you learn to recognise this you can use it your advantage and progress at work or have a happier personal life etc Essentially being more in control of your own destiny.

Well that's the short version. Still read it though, if you still don't get it, give up and be happy with a life of (ignorant) bliss :thumb:

bmw156
28-04-10, 07:15 PM
lol buy it and read it. It's all about how we feel at work and our personal lives when someone does something to change the status quo, i.e takes away or moves us out of our comfort zone. If you learn to recognise this you can use it your advantage and progress at work or have a happier personal life etc Essentially being more in control of your own destiny.

Well that's the short version. Still read it though, if you still don't get it, give up and be happy with a life of (ignorant) bliss :thumb:

yeh it sums it up well enough i would say :)

mowgli
28-04-10, 11:25 PM
well, thanks for sending it to me martin, but it was just an enormous readers digest type thing.......it was certainly written by one of those happy clappy lay preachers as a sermon..... & it could only have come from america..

I know all about changing & adapting to challenges without reading abook on it.
it may well give some other people food for thought, but it just made me empty the cheese drawer in the fridge

NovaLad
28-04-10, 11:26 PM
I love cheese!!!
Mmmmm Wensleydale & Cranberry :)

Mexican cheese :)

mowgli
28-04-10, 11:28 PM
wensleydale is a bit too crumbly & bland for me....

my current fave cheese is sparkenhoe red leicester, found in waitrose, fine food shops, & the farm shop where they make it, not far from home.....(i also actually helped build the factory....

it is the best stuff ever for cheese on toast.

bmw156
28-04-10, 11:52 PM
fair play mowgli.

im kinda in training for a production manager roll. while being one, so my GM gave me this as reading.

i think it applies well.

mowgli
29-04-10, 08:04 AM
martin, the best advice you will ever get about management is this:

don't believe claptrap make you a better person books......

management is simple, get your job done, legally & by upsetting the least number of people, nothing more, nothing less.

i worked for years in a parts dept selling tractor bits.... i also worked at a large multinational parts company head office...

i had more management skills that were relevant than all the managers i ever met at the multinational..... not one of them understood basic stock control, but they could all do a fantastic presentation on powerpoint with pretty colours and projections, whereas i was in a crappy office ringing up suppliers & sorting out why stuff wasn't there for me to sell, and it wasn't even my job to do, but the inventory dept were clueless.
the big boss man did an induction course for all newbies, and he talked sense, but everyone else was useless. i stuck it for 18months & the stress nearly finished me off.

bmw156
29-04-10, 09:38 AM
martin, the best advice you will ever get about management is this:

don't believe claptrap make you a better person books......

management is simple, get your job done, legally & by upsetting the least number of people, nothing more, nothing less.

i worked for years in a parts dept selling tractor bits.... i also worked at a large multinational parts company head office...

i had more management skills that were relevant than all the managers i ever met at the multinational..... not one of them understood basic stock control, but they could all do a fantastic presentation on powerpoint with pretty colours and projections, whereas i was in a crappy office ringing up suppliers & sorting out why stuff wasn't there for me to sell, and it wasn't even my job to do, but the inventory dept were clueless.
the big boss man did an induction course for all newbies, and he talked sense, but everyone else was useless. i stuck it for 18months & the stress nearly finished me off.

im working in a smallish company, 5 office staff, and about 20 factory guys.
so the production isnt a massivly complicated but there are alot of small components to manufacture.
and the majority of it is still made from steel upwards.

hopefully ill learn more and more, and it will only go upwards. :)