PDA

View Full Version : 1400 turbo

total_vauxhall
26-04-10, 06:42 PM
im planning on building a 1400 turbo motor for my project ( scrap heap challange) building the best nova i can for 100 quid in other words . so anyway i have just got my hands on an r5 gtt engine my question is what inlet manifold do i need for the r5 carb or is it just a case of making an adapter plate i know a few lads on here have been playing about with 1200 turbos so any help would be great:thumb:

Mike
26-04-10, 06:44 PM
Interested in selling the complete R5 engine by any chance?

Edd
26-04-10, 06:45 PM
not another turbo conversion thread lol

tbh if you need to be asking dont bother

total_vauxhall
26-04-10, 06:51 PM
not another turbo conversion thread lol

tbh if you need to be asking dont bother
honestly mate i aint just some young chav with a dream . i have built alsorts of cars . including wrc and stock hatch . i think im quite capable of building a 1400 turbo motor all i want to know is did the lads make an adapter plate or alter manifold so the long bolts will fit or is there a vaux manifold that will take the r5 carb:thumb: ill keep pics posted of my project on my other thread

total_vauxhall
26-04-10, 06:56 PM
Interested in selling the complete R5 engine by any chance? not sure yet mate what would you be offering it also comes with the gear box . i heard it running before it was taken out the car and the only reason the lad removed it was because for some un known reason it kept chewing clutches up . im mean like within driving it 10 miles didnt ask him why as all i wanted off it was the turbo and carb . has a couple of stainless bits on aswell. cam cover ect

MattBrown
26-04-10, 07:09 PM
honestly mate i aint just some young chav with a dream . i have built alsorts of cars . including wrc and stock hatch . i think im quite capable of building a 1400 turbo motor all i want to know is did the lads make an adapter plate or alter manifold so the long bolts will fit or is there a vaux manifold that will take the r5 carb:thumb: ill keep pics posted of my project on my other thread

So your a factory works mechanic?

Who for, maybe a well known face around the rallying scene:thumb:

total_vauxhall
26-04-10, 07:22 PM
So your a factory works mechanic?

Who for, maybe a well known face around the rallying scene:thumb:
not a factory works mechanic mate no . but i first of all started working for the lad that build the cages and painted chris birkbecks rally cars if your into rallying you will know of him (built guy wilks his super1600 puma) then i was taken on by chris . who quite frequently has works cars in and around the workshop . also went out to work in europe with them preping the puma's for norbert guzik to compete in rally poland 06 against the likes of sebastien loeb . also worked for adrian horsley who was in first place in british rally cross for quite a fue years. i left the rally team work in 08 as to be quite honest the pay was sh1te . i now work for a welding company. now i have explained my life story of whos rallycars i have worked on can i have a simple answer of what i will need for my manifold .

Jon_nova1
26-04-10, 07:57 PM
I'd go for the adapter route, since you can weld, it would be the simplest solution to mate the carb to the engine using parts from the nova inlet

your not going to get much info, i personally know of one 1.4 turbo, and the kit its running, well £100 won't cover it lol

total_vauxhall
01-05-10, 10:33 PM
bolted it all together today without gaskets ect it all seems to fit nice and lucky enough the standard nova down pipe connection will bolt straight onto the turbo.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b385/dan_novadose/Image0049.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b385/dan_novadose/Image0048.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b385/dan_novadose/Image0047.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b385/dan_novadose/Image0051.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b385/dan_novadose/Image0052.jpg

Mike
01-05-10, 10:37 PM
^ easist way to do :thumb:

Only problem I can forsee is the turbo elbow youve currently got, it'll be pointing straight into the block. You need an RST elbow. Ive got one sitting here actually lol

total_vauxhall
01-05-10, 10:44 PM
^ easist way to do :thumb:
sure was mate lol .well im on a realy small budget so couldnt aford to go out and buy a 4 branch and start cutting it up . im planning on going down the 1.4 sri inlet manifold route mpi running 0.5 boost i dont think i will have to play with the ign or the fueling all that much . one slight hickup i have made though not a problem if i have to change it as the adapter only took minutes to make is i have made it on a non lamba sensor manifold and oviusly the sri setup will need a lamba . would i be able to fit the lamba after the turbo into the downpipe / same as were xe lamba goes or will the turbo mess all the readings up ?:thumb:

Stuart
01-05-10, 10:45 PM
awww what a cute little toy turbo that is lol

Mike
01-05-10, 10:46 PM
sure was mate lol .well im on a realy small budget so couldnt aford to go out and buy a 4 branch and start cutting it up . im planning on going down the 1.4 sri inlet manifold route mpi running 0.5 boost i dont think i will have to play with the ign or the fueling all that much . one slight hickup i have made though not a problem if i have to change it as the adapter only took minutes to make is i have made it on a non lamba sensor manifold and oviusly the sri setup will need a lamba . would i be able to fit the lamba after the turbo into the downpipe / same as were xe lamba goes or will the turbo mess all the readings up ?:thumb:

Shove the lamba into the downpipe like an XE, should be ok there TBH.

Using the cast manifold is a hell of lot easier then hacking up a 4 branch though aint it :)

total_vauxhall
01-05-10, 10:47 PM
awww what a cute little toy turbo that is lol
better than no turbo lol what other choice do i have im only going to run around 0.5 why bother putting a masive turbo on?

Mike
01-05-10, 10:49 PM
better than no turbo lol what other choice do i have im only going to run around 0.5 why bother putting a masive turbo on?

T25, 12psi ish with scope for loads more?

Me & Burgo worked out that (all estimates) on the 1600 I built up, with all things taken in account it would have made *around* the 180 to 190hp mark at 13.5psi. Potentially anyway.

total_vauxhall
01-05-10, 10:49 PM
Shove the lamba into the downpipe like an XE, should be ok there TBH.

Using the cast manifold is a hell of lot easier then hacking up a 4 branch though aint it :)

yea mate cheers for lamba info . as for the elbow i have mocked it up on an old 1200 motor mate and it misses the block by about 2 inch . just my pic makes the angle look funny :thumb:

total_vauxhall
01-05-10, 10:53 PM
the thing i have is an ihi rhb5 was free so cant complain . not taking it all that seriosly this build as im only doing it due to the amount of spares i have kicking about just to see what happens more than out else . it will do one of 2 things , run or die what have i got to lose.

Mike
01-05-10, 10:55 PM
yea mate cheers for lamba info . as for the elbow i have mocked it up on an old 1200 motor mate and it misses the block by about 2 inch . just my pic makes the angle look funny :thumb:

A funny angle? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50Zbz_weDgQ)

total_vauxhall
01-05-10, 10:55 PM
T25, 12psi ish with scope for loads more?

Me & Burgo worked out that (all estimates) on the 1600 I built up, with all things taken in account it would have made *around* the 180 to 190hp mark at 13.5psi. Potentially anyway.

any pics of your build mate

Mike
01-05-10, 10:58 PM
any pics of your build mate

About 400pics somewhere lol lol lol

Stuart
01-05-10, 11:00 PM

if its running that little boost, why the hell even bother lol

total_vauxhall
01-05-10, 11:03 PM
ahh another important one while im on is the oil presure switch an m14 thread and will i need a step down connection such as rst one ct for the oil feed . i was going to mees about with a t piece but what the heck the switch is only for the oil light. which if it comes on means the engine is probs fu*ked anyway so im just going to bin it and run an oil feed straight from the hole.

Mike
01-05-10, 11:05 PM
ahh another important one while im on is the oil presure switch an m14 thread and will i need a step down connection such as rst one ct for the oil feed . i was going to mees about with a t piece but what the heck the switch is only for the oil light. which if it comes on means the engine is probs fu*ked anyway so im just going to bin it and run an oil feed straight from the hole.

Use the RST peice & use a lower pressure RST switch aswell :thumb: youll end up making more work for less gain if you bin it IMO.

Ive got a couple of the RST peices your after & the lower pressure switchs are about £8 ;)

total_vauxhall
01-05-10, 11:06 PM
if its running that little boost, why the hell even bother lol

exact reason i have just explained further up the page it isnt going to cost anything and it has to make some power so why not? i have 3 sheds stacked to the roof near enough with nova bits that have been sat there for the last 10 years near enough so why not put some of it to use .

Toydx1
01-05-10, 11:06 PM
this nova you have it isnt that red one of col even's old one ??

Mike
01-05-10, 11:07 PM
exact reason i have just explained further up the page it isnt going to cost anything and it has to make some power so why not? i have 3 sheds stacked to the roof near enough with nova bits that have been sat there for the last 10 years near enough so why not put some of it to use .

If i had 3 sheds full of GM parts I know full well what Id be doing with them ;)

total_vauxhall
01-05-10, 11:07 PM
Use the RST peice & use a lower pressure RST switch aswell :thumb: youll end up making more work for less gain if you bin it IMO.

Ive got a couple of the RST peices your after & the lower pressure switchs are about £8 ;) you wona sell one of the pieces ? send us a pm if so and ill sort something out;)

Mike
01-05-10, 11:08 PM
you wona sell one of the pieces ? send us a pm if so and ill sort something out;)

Yeah sure thing, I dont have a Nova anymore lol or an RS Turbo lol lol so they aint no use to me! Ive got 2 that Ive found & Sloth wants the other one.

Ill sort it out tomorrow as im to bed in a short while as im up early tomorrow :(

total_vauxhall
01-05-10, 11:11 PM

no lol that has gone to a lad in skelton its the white one that was parked up nuds unit from the scrap yard i have just finished off lats bits today for the mot so it should be on the road very soon . i also have whats left off gurkins old nova that i reshelled has an xe in now .

total_vauxhall
01-05-10, 11:13 PM
do you have a nova like mate . or are you the lad with bintys old blue mk1

Toydx1
01-05-10, 11:18 PM
yer am the lad with that old one of bintys :D

total_vauxhall
01-05-10, 11:19 PM
whats it got in now a let?

Toydx1
01-05-10, 11:28 PM
yer thats the nova iv got but the bottom end went on that 2 dog engine so iv put a turbo in it now but it hasnt really got far but it should be done soon and i dont really know what one you have but am sure ill see it about soon

total_vauxhall
01-05-10, 11:38 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143549&page=2

Toydx1
01-05-10, 11:40 PM
sweet man a think you should give me a shout when you have it finished id like to see it :D