PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 which one though? (8v)

puss puss
26-04-10, 12:59 PM
hello all i have decided to sway away from the redtop, i currently have one and me being jobless at the minute means the engine cant really be rebuilt like i want it to and the cost of it to fit into the nova (shafts hubs etc etc)

i just cant afford it at the moment

Now saying that a 1.6 turbo 8v is really intresting me, i like the idea of light weight so i can still go round corners pretty quick and the engine should be easy to fit.

My idea is this at the moment my 1.2 nova has no engine in it and am just going to fit a N/A 1.6 (e16se or c16se more on this later) hopefully get it to png's drive and enjoy it while getting all the required bits together for a turbo conversion.

So here are my questions

Which engine do i need the e16se out of a gsi nova? or a c16se out of a gte nova? (i think thats right correct me if am wrong)

What is the difference between the two? Haynes manual says compression ratio is different but i will change this when i turbo it i think?

c16se engine also came in the astra and cav if i remember would this engine also go in the nova? or would work be needed?

Also what is needed to fit the 1.6 engine into my 1.2 spi (i still have loom and ecu from the 1.2)

Probly already covered but i cant seem to find it :(

what gearbox should i be using with the 1.6 a f13? i have no idea

thanks in advance :thumb:

Stuart
26-04-10, 01:16 PM
Articles section probalby has something... note there are MANY pages of articles ;)

GRUNT 16V
26-04-10, 01:19 PM
You Say You Have No Money But Yet Building A 1.6 Turbo Will Cost More Than Rebuilding A Std Xe Engine ??????? And As For Cornering In An Xe If Its Built Correctly There Shouldnt Be Any Probs

puss puss
26-04-10, 01:20 PM
heya i did come across the 1.6 and 40's i belive but it didnt really answer my questions above :( ill have a reread of it though in a minute incase i did miss something though :)

craig green
26-04-10, 01:22 PM
I think theres a knob on the side of the cyl head to change the compression ratio.

puss puss
26-04-10, 01:23 PM
You Say You Have No Money But Yet Building A 1.6 Turbo Will Cost More Than Rebuilding A Std Xe Engine ??????? And As For Cornering In An Xe If Its Built Correctly There Shouldnt Be Any Probs

what i am saying is i will get a 1.6 engine put it in the nova enjoy it over the summer while saving some money for turbo bits then if/when i got all the bits ill do it. So when i do get a little bit of money i can save for turbo bits while enjoying the nova. Not saving for xe bits and watching the nova grow old :thumb: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (one question mark would of been enough :tard: )

rebuilding a xe is pretty expensive and i did want to go to pv's and enjoy it over summer :)

xe's are quite heavy though.

:)

craig green
26-04-10, 01:27 PM
rebuilding a xe is pretty expensive and i did want to go to pv's and enjoy it over summer :)

xe's are quite heavy though.

:)

Building a 1.6 turbo would be more expensive than building an XE. Tbh the rebuild costs are pretty much the same, assuming you dont think you can whack a turbo on a miley 1600?

Factor in an intercooler, boost pipes, oil feed line, intake piping, air filter, cost of an exhaust manifold, boost gauge, FPR, buying a working turbo etc etc.

All of that is getting near the weight of an XE tbh.

If you still want to do this, you need to fit an E16SE GTE/GSi engine.

GRUNT 16V
26-04-10, 01:28 PM
Cheers Craig !!!!!!
WHEN I CONVERTED MINE BACK IN 2002 I WAS ALSO DEBATING ON A 1.6 TURBO BUT THEN WIEGHED THE COSTS AND I CHOSE THE XE AS ITS CHEAPER TO BUILD CHEAPER TO RUN and MORE RELIABLE

puss puss
26-04-10, 01:45 PM
Building a 1.6 turbo would be more expensive than building an XE. Tbh the rebuild costs are pretty much the same, assuming you dont think you can whack a turbo on a miley 1600?

Factor in an intercooler, boost pipes, oil feed line, intake piping, air filter, cost of an exhaust manifold, boost gauge, FPR, buying a working turbo etc etc.

All of that is getting near the weight of an XE tbh.

If you still want to do this, you need to fit an E16SE GTE/GSi engine.

ahh a e16se engine i didnt know they were the same in the gte and the gsi?

lets try and clear this up.

I know a 1.6 turbo is going to be more expensive then a xe i know that!

The summer is coming closer and closer and as i currently do not have a job am thinking the xe isnt going to be done but a 1.6 N/A (e16se) would be and isnt as expensive to make it fit into my shell :)

the 1.6 is still a seriously quick lump and is quite light compared to a xe.

So when i do get some more money i could take the 1.6 out and turbo it for even more power :thumb: its just at the moment with my xe lump in my shed and my shell without a engine and limited money it isnt going to be done by pv's or the summer which is what i want :)

Do we understand now? :thumb: Theres reason behind my madness lol

craig green
26-04-10, 01:47 PM
No that maks sense. For the record. All GTE's have the E16SE with either a Bosch or Siemens ECU. This was also used in the GSi but on some J & K reg cars they switched to the C16SE which was catted & used a different management system, which although having 1 or 2 bhp more isnt as tuneable as the E16.

So get an engine with a coil & AFM basically.

puss puss
26-04-10, 01:54 PM
No that maks sense. For the record. All GTE's have the E16SE with either a Bosch or Siemens ECU. This was also used in the GSi but on some J & K reg cars they switched to the C16SE which was catted & used a different management system, which although having 1 or 2 bhp more isnt as tuneable as the E16.

So get an engine with a coil & AFM basically.

ahh cheers for that information i didnt know that

do you know what i would need to make it fit into my 1.2 spi shell

i guess engine, box, shafts, and ecu? then i should be good :thumb:

craig green
26-04-10, 02:49 PM
yes. it all bolts to the existing mounts. same size basically.

puss puss
26-04-10, 08:59 PM
awsome cheers buddy :)