PDA

View Full Version : 1.8 ecotec problems

SGA33
25-04-10, 04:56 PM
Went out for a sunday drive today with the family in my other halfs zafira.
I noticed it was very sluggish but i thought that might just be me as i never drive it.Then we stopped at traffic lights and when setting off the engine misfired badly under load until i got over 2500rpm in any gear.Any ideas what this my be as i have had just about had enough of the thing.:(

Cheers,
Andrew

joff-turbo-nova
25-04-10, 05:12 PM
Depends which 1.8 engine it is - I have a Z18XE in the Meriva .

Common problems are airflow meters, throttle bodies, accelerator pedals, coil packs and ECU failures. I've had a throttle body failure and thats after a couple of months of ownership.

I now have a range of spares (airflow meter, throttle body, accelerator and coil pack) just in case.

Best bet is get it on a diagnostic and see what codes are being thrown up !

Joff

SGA33
25-04-10, 05:17 PM
cheers Joff,
i had read somewhere about coil packs going wrong so i think i will take it to the local vauxhall garage for a check

Cheers.

NovaLad
25-04-10, 05:20 PM
Out of curiosity Joff does anything commonly go wrong with the very new 1.6 Zafiras?
My dad has 1 that i drive regulary.

joff-turbo-nova
25-04-10, 06:28 PM
Out of curiosity Joff does anything commonly go wrong with the very new 1.6 Zafiras?
My dad has 1 that i drive regulary.

I think its similar probs on the 1.6 - the 16v valve versions have the ECU bolted to the side of the inlet manifold like the Z18XE/X18XE engines.

Heat cycles and vibration are not the best place to put electronics!

Have a look on Vauxhall Owners network at Zafiras, Merivas Astras and Vectras as they all share the same engines.

Joff

Saloony
25-04-10, 06:37 PM
Vibration yes, but heat, ever touched an ecu after length of running, they could heat a house. ECU is generally a common failure across vauxhalls. Regardless of were they are situated.

Pistol Pete
25-04-10, 08:19 PM
X18XE1 engine??

joff-turbo-nova
25-04-10, 09:21 PM
Vibration yes, but heat, ever touched an ecu after length of running, they could heat a house. ECU is generally a common failure across vauxhalls. Regardless of were they are situated.

I know what you're saying but given the choice I'd rather have an ECU bolted to a cool bulkhead inside the passenger cabin than next to the biggest source of heat on a vehicle.

I know the ECU's are resin bonded to seal them from the elements but they still fail.

Ever wondered why there are some many 1.8 16v Vectras in the scrappers??? Mostly down to very poor running and ecu replacements costing more than the car is worth !

Joff

Saloony
25-04-10, 09:57 PM
I know what you're saying but given the choice I'd rather have an ECU bolted to a cool bulkhead inside the passenger cabin than next to the biggest source of heat on a vehicle.

I know the ECU's are resin bonded to seal them from the elements but they still fail.

Ever wondered why there are some many 1.8 16v Vectras in the scrappers??? Mostly down to very poor running and ecu replacements costing more than the car is worth !

Joff

lol it aint just the 1.8's dude. Trust the mechanic on this :thumb:

Pistol Pete
26-04-10, 05:47 PM
I bought a new ECU for mine (well, a recon item) for around £200 off eBay. Fixed mine and has run sweet as a nut ever since. Previous owner was clueless, had spent nearly £500 on a new TB lol New ECU was next at a price of £800!!!!!!

SGA33
26-04-10, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the advice lads.
Took the car into the garage today and they think its a new ecu needed so going to park it up till i can afford to repair it,or trade it in for a cdti model.

Cheers
Andrew.