PDA

View Full Version : 2nd opinion on welding please.

bazil
25-04-10, 02:00 PM
There isn't a welding section so I stuck this in here,

I am hoping to start welding my shell in the coming weeks and what I was planning on doing was to weld in a couple of steel box section lenghts accross the shell at the b post and rear turretts then link them to the rear panel and bulkhead,

The reason for this is because I will be cutting out the full rear boot and rear seat section along with the rear chassis legs and I'm a little concerned about the shell losing it's shape as large sections are being cut out.
This link shows the rot I'm dealing with
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140769&page=5

Is this overkill or a good idea, all suguestions and comments welcome.

Nobby
25-04-10, 02:21 PM
whats it being used for mate? in my opinion new rear panel ( repair boot floor when old panel is removed new sill and i get some sand paper oin the wheel well and see what happens keep it simple

Benn
25-04-10, 02:35 PM
As said,
New rear panel, repair floor while its off,
New rear arches,
Clean up under side floor and chassis and sill to check for damage,
Clean up engine bay and check for damage.

Cut of and weld in new metal where needed.

It isn't a clean one. But i've seen worse.

bazil
25-04-10, 04:12 PM
Well full rear floor will be removed with legs, both sills removed full rear panel removed both quarters removed but as per the first post, Im concered about the shell flexing when the panels are removed.

Benn
25-04-10, 06:55 PM
Remove one part at a time, weld in braces to hold the shell tight.

Why remove the whole floor tho? Its only the back part that needs replacing.

bazil
25-04-10, 06:58 PM
if i can get away with cutting where the rear seatbelts bolt in or around thet area then i'll do that but i really want all the rust cut out.