PDA

View Full Version : 20xe gas flowed cyl head query.

John
25-04-10, 10:54 AM
The head on this xe has clearly had some work done. (previous owner has receipt somewhere to the tune of £650 from iirc cylinder head developments)

The engine is completely standard apart from a chipped ecu (have yet to pull it apart and check). What sort of gains are to be had with this head;
a, on the standard xe.
b, on the xe with say cams and verniers.

How far can i go with cams on the standard pistons and standard albeit "chipped" management?

Can xe ecu "chips" still be gotten hold of? if so where from? How good are they and what sort of price? (this is something i know little about, "chip sounds soooo 1980's lol )

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l240/tooleater16v/cylinderhead003.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l240/tooleater16v/cylinderhead004.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l240/tooleater16v/cylinderhead006.jpg

Adam
25-04-10, 10:58 AM
Yep thats definently had some work done.

Cams you are pretty stuck on std pistons/management tbh!! Probably something like Kent 1912's (IIRC). Even those might not run well with the standard management. And chipped management wont really help much either apart from raising the limiter, because it wont have been written to run a xe with cams fitted......

djbrowney
25-04-10, 11:00 AM
are you sure its on standard valves ???

John
25-04-10, 11:18 AM
are you sure its on standard valves ???

I don't think so, if i can get hold of the receipt i can find out.

John
25-04-10, 11:22 AM
Yep thats definently had some work done.

Cams you are pretty stuck on std pistons/management tbh!! Probably something like Kent 1912's (IIRC). Even those might not run well with the standard management. And chipped management wont really help much either apart from raising the limiter, because it wont have been written to run a xe with cams fitted......

What deg are they ad?

I'm sure i've seen somehwere about a plug that can so soldered in the place of the standard chip to allow alterations? I'm guessing it's dear tho so outweighing the cost of aftermarket management. The lad wants to get near 175 horses from it on the standard loom and ecu, i told him it might be a tall order! lol

philip
25-04-10, 04:17 PM
Ive managed 180bhp on a rebuilt xe with superchip, powercap, decat and arps and one of my heads. Made 184bhp on 1 rollers and 180 on a different set of rollers 160mile apart.

Adam ur thinking of kent AST1612 cams + tbh I wouldnt waste money. If gna build a motor get pistons pocketed or aftermarket jobies or go carb route.

Oh and being chd head check its got the valve spring base plates in it. Yayoboy + another chd head never!

Lee
25-04-10, 04:36 PM
Ive managed 180bhp on a rebuilt xe with superchip, powercap, decat and arps and one of my heads. Made 184bhp on 1 rollers and 180 on a different set of rollers 160mile apart.

On standard cams??????????????????????????????

MattBrown
25-04-10, 04:51 PM
On standard cams??????????????????????????????

He builds alot of engines up here, and wont lielol

Sells good lathes aswell:thumb:

John
25-04-10, 05:25 PM
Oh and being chd head check its got the valve spring base plates in it. Yayoboy + another chd head never!

can you explain further please?

philip
25-04-10, 11:09 PM
yeah stock cams. ive built a fair few XE's LETs over the past few years and been doing heads for maybe 8/9 years lol. the limit for stock cams is about 180bhp. but on 2 different rollers that far apart, its not bad going, the motor used to be in a corsa and would drill n/a vx220s and used to pipss a lads gt4 off as the lad come up to me one night asking me wtf id done to the head. its just having right parts/combo. lad is now running a 420bhp LET i helped spec/build for/with him.

john - i had to respec a head for yayoboy on here that chd had specced completly wrong...wanted it capable of 230bhp...yet they specced 1612 cams, single springs, etc, so told him what to use/have. he lives by them so had them do the head. when he had the head CC'd the company noticed the spring bases were fitted(bare spring sat on the alloy) so he went back to get spring bases.

heres link to his thread so you can read through:

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122493&page=4

yayoboy
26-04-10, 10:08 PM
As above john double check everything, his machining was good but he made a real school boy error leaving the spring seats out purely because he couldn't be arsed to machine them out to cover the 13mm valve guides, it's so lucky I had pride engines check it over when they set up my compression ratio, I just feel sorry for the others, he said when I gave him a round of f@#ks about it that he's done it before! Btw phil knows his stuff, he'll be doin my solid lifter head when the time comes

craig green
26-04-10, 10:20 PM
I think those numbers are achievable, but not every 'mod' compliments the other. It would take some luck & good judgement tbh.

Best chip is the Courtenay Grp-N. A superchip branded item will overfuel & make you wish you had the std Motronic chip.