PDA

View Full Version : 1600 turbo guinea pig

craig green
24-04-10, 07:42 PM
Will someone actually commit to making one please! Every week theres another site user that really wants to do it.

I'm sure between us more experienced Nova enthusiasts we can coach someone into making all the right decisions & actually have a bit of an adventure with it, discussing the best options & problem solving openly in a technical thread.

So come on, someone buy a spare engine/block, an engine stand & a Garrett off ebay. Mock up the manifold, get Grunt16v to TIG the manifold, as he keeps telling us about about his TIG inverter.

Adam
24-04-10, 07:45 PM
Id make one but just dont see the need lol

muzzy
24-04-10, 07:47 PM
If I still had my C16SE I would have been quite interested in doing this but seeing as 1600 engines are going for about £250 up here I think I will have to pass.

Edd
24-04-10, 07:54 PM
Tbh I don't think it's that difficult you could do it on a budget as well IMO.

T25 turbo £50 tops
R5 gtt downpipe £15
spi manifold £0
1mm spacer plate £50?
Boost switch £15
intercooler +pipe work £80
oil feed/return £20

crack it all together job done lol

but SOMEONE needs to do it, way too many threads about it even after Mike did a article about it all.

I would do it but putting anything but a 1300 in a Sport is probably illegal lol

Adam
24-04-10, 07:55 PM
But thats the pikey method /\ lol

Proper pistons and proper management is the key

craig green
24-04-10, 07:57 PM
Theres nothing wrong with pikey methods. I'd still want to do it properly as Adam says, but its amazing what cowboys can create in sheds. But its all down to skill & knowhow. Something you cant get accross very well on broadband.

General Baxter
24-04-10, 08:08 PM
But thats the pikey method /\ lol

how pikey was my charged 1.6 16v, still ran better then your TB'd 2L :p

Adam
24-04-10, 08:15 PM
How did it? You fitted a SC on and started it up.....
And then removed it and sold the car?

General Baxter
24-04-10, 08:16 PM
How did it? You fitted a SC on and started it up.....
And then removed it and sold the car?

it did 15miles and a RR :p

Adam
24-04-10, 08:19 PM
Ok

GDN16v
24-04-10, 08:19 PM
My mate done it, that was the nova i was breaking in the for sale section, 1650 with standard pistons with a gasket spacer gasket set up and it ran fine. Went to Billing twice and ran with no problems!:thumb:

General Baxter
24-04-10, 08:29 PM
Id make one but just dont see the need lol

its not the need, its the **** it, lets make it lol :thumb:

sport
24-04-10, 08:49 PM
Theres nothing wrong with pikey methods. I'd still want to do it properly as Adam says, but its amazing what cowboys can create in sheds. But its all down to skill & knowhow. Something you cant get accross very well on broadband.

Craig seeing as your GSI was converted by Courtenay, what did they use/do on the conversion? Heard a few stories about them over the years, good and bad.
This was something i had always wanted done to my own GSI but ended up going on with the sport.

craig green
24-04-10, 08:53 PM
Craig seeing as your GSI was converted by Courtenay, what did they use/do on the conversion?

I havent got the time right now, but tbh I have typed it out so many times over the years on here. No secret.

If someone actually makes a manifold/turbo that fits, it'll be the furthest anyonme on PNG/novaload has gone. lol There is no conversion to speak of without that.

sport
24-04-10, 08:58 PM
I havent got the time right now, but tbh I have typed it out so many times over the years on here. No secret.

You got a link to a previous post Craig?

mowgli
24-04-10, 09:01 PM
i'm beginning to wonder if i shoud put my engine up as a possible guinea pig.....

Ben
24-04-10, 09:01 PM
Pikey way can have some amazing results! isaachunt anyone? 2.0 8v with some let pistons and a turbo slapped on it.

mowgli
24-04-10, 09:02 PM
the let pistons would need pocketting for the valves....

General Baxter
24-04-10, 09:41 PM
i'm beginning to wonder if i shoud put my engine up as a possible guinea pig.....

ill help, im some what of a expert with sealer and cable ties :thumb:

Adam
24-04-10, 09:59 PM
the let pistons would need pocketting for the valves....On what engine? :confused:

Southie
24-04-10, 10:17 PM
Must admit it's the same old same seeing similar threads all the time but that's the problem being on here so much and newbies buying Novas. If your new to nova's and someones just mentioned "turboing one" then alarm bells ring and "wow that's a fecking idea".

My advice, use the search people, well at least try ;)

Edd
24-04-10, 10:46 PM
Or at the very least if you need some info on turbocharging a e16 look in the articles section.

djbrowney
24-04-10, 10:56 PM
im still building mine, fitted the oil squirter is the block last night, should be building it in the next few weeks and in the car next few months. will be going on emerald ecu so not the pikey way im affraid lol

scott.parker
24-04-10, 11:24 PM
Pikey way can have some amazing results! isaachunt anyone? 2.0 8v with some let pistons and a turbo slapped on it.

Neil Robson (nova Neil) off here used a Courtenay converted engine as a base to build a hybrid out of, and it gave huge power, with very good gain etc, but he used DTA management, http://www.pngclub.com/forum/viewfeaturecar.php?ref=769 the engine lives on in my mate Mike's car, mikec123 on here, he got it mapped again and ran 191.9 bhp

Also if anyone is interested Neil also bought that 2.0 8v isaachunt engine, did some more modifications to it and fitted it into a Corsa B, i believe it's been on the road, but is back in the "work shop" cow shed lol for more work, i don't keep in touch as much as i would like with him, Oli Dhdev is good mates with him also.

I will add that IMO stand alone management is a must to get these conversion working well..
Scott

Edd
24-04-10, 11:30 PM
I agree management is a must to get the most out of the engine.

Craig had 175bhp on his e16 using the standard set up tho.

Rich
24-04-10, 11:40 PM
i was building a 1400 turbo, was halfway through making the manifold but my mate bailed and was using his garage to do it. c20xe exhaust manifolds are a good way to go :)

Count Vaux Alot
24-04-10, 11:41 PM
im still building mine, fitted the oil squirter is the block last night, should be building it in the next few weeks and in the car next few months. will be going on emerald ecu so not the pikey way im affraid lol

I'm still building mine too once the house/mortgage and the td run about is out of the way im back on that :thumb:

bazil
25-04-10, 12:47 AM
Hmmmmmm I was thinking about a e16se with high comp forged pistons but a 1.2 crank to lower the compresion running a t25 with megasquirt and f13 with quaife atb or miss out the squirt and run let or xe injectors with a rising rate fpr or if I could afford it steel rods and Low comp pistons and standard crank.

Stuart
25-04-10, 07:59 AM
1.2 crank = NOT 1.6

I have a head and megasquirt... Someone get me a 1600 bottom end and I'll knock something up but would need a car to go in lol

peester
25-04-10, 08:05 AM
CG miss his old 1.6 8v T..?

mowgli
25-04-10, 09:47 AM
On what engine? :confused:

a 2.0 8v

Mazz
25-04-10, 10:18 AM

On what engine? :confused:

ummmm ?

Ben
25-04-10, 10:31 AM
a 2.0 8v

As above

Adam
25-04-10, 10:32 AM
Me thinks i should of read further up the page before replying lol

Ben
25-04-10, 10:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pQ79jDqBtY

mowgli
25-04-10, 10:59 AM
most likely a 20get, the american turbo variant

turbo-boy
25-04-10, 11:07 AM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127963&page=2

this is one that i did i while back with throttle bodies on it as well,hav a look migt give use some ideas.

Benn
25-04-10, 11:37 AM
I'm confused.

comptoncj
25-04-10, 12:39 PM
I'l be your guinea pig builder if you want lol, ive got a courtenay manifold, spacer, fpr, e16se loom and ecu t25 and and oil feed.... game on lol

Edd
25-04-10, 12:45 PM
You have the last Courtenay manifold they had so you HAVE to get it built lol

comptoncj
25-04-10, 12:48 PM
lol ok i need an engine! lol

letvalva
25-04-10, 02:36 PM
mate of mine turbo,d a 1.4, he fitted a 1.6 to lower the the comp, used a weber twin choke carb off a lancia delta turbo and turbo off a montego turbo diesel, intercooler off a frontera, it was a little rocket, fitted in a 4 door loon, it never blew up in the 18 month /2 year he ran it and was over boosting 22 psi and holding about 19psi

cornish
25-04-10, 02:42 PM
I have a 1300 turbo on Irmscher injection project! Still very much a WIP though :roll:

John
25-04-10, 02:53 PM
*off topic* good god! Issac Hunt! Old school blast from the past lol whatever happened to it?

Ben
25-04-10, 02:59 PM
As said he sold the engine to NovaNeil off here and was apprently develping a 16v turbo engine but never heard of it since.

craig green
25-04-10, 03:59 PM
Isaachunt rolling shell was FS on some motorsport website a few weeks ago.

S1 RST
25-04-10, 04:50 PM
I've still got an original Courtney T25 turbo in the shed with cracked exhaust housing from a E16se conversion

MattBrown
25-04-10, 04:52 PM
I've still got an original Courtney T25 turbo in the shed with cracked exhaust housing from a E16se conversion

Cracked schmached, welder FTW:d

Sloth
25-04-10, 07:56 PM
oh jesus...

1st. let pistons in a 2.0 8v has been done lots of times, and they dont need pockets cut. this is what the issac hunt motor was. an seh with let slugs.
2nd. i have a 1.6 smallblock exhaust flange for sale atm, reason being i went big block. also rover 25 exhaust manifolds, with the flange cut off and the pipes upside down mate up nicely. et voila a simple mani done.
3rd. management. the simplest way is probably megasquirt, which isnt pikey. its been used many times and has excellent results. im also investigating volvo management, as this is either motronic or L3.1 jetronic, the same as used on 2.0 8v's. it all uses the same sensors etc. i should know in 2 weeks.
4th. after very cheap turbo bits? upullit sell any turbo for £5, intercoolers for the same and lots of other bits for peanuts.
5th. the c20get engine is a completely different animal to any uk 2.0 8v. the specs and story are on the site below.
6th. gets quoted all the time but if you spend some time reading this sites how to's and projects, it answers all your questions. www.vaux-extreme.com
any other stuff, ask and i'll find out/ tell you.

GRUNT 16V
25-04-10, 11:20 PM
Will someone actually commit to making one please! Every week theres another site user that really wants to do it.

I'm sure between us more experienced Nova enthusiasts we can coach someone into making all the right decisions & actually have a bit of an adventure with it, discussing the best options & problem solving openly in a technical thread.

So come on, someone buy a spare engine/block, an engine stand & a Garrett off ebay. Mock up the manifold, get Grunt16v to TIG the manifold, as he keeps telling us about about his TIG inverter.

THANKS DUDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol

bazil
25-04-10, 11:21 PM
THANKS DUDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol

e16se to T25 please :)

Adaz_blud
25-04-10, 11:49 PM
ill do it if i new how :D

Sloth
25-04-10, 11:54 PM
see my old post adaz...

Stuart
26-04-10, 12:00 PM
oh jesus...

6th. gets quoted all the time but if you spend some time reading this sites how to's and projects, it answers all your questions
any other stuff, ask and i'll find out/ tell you.

you mean you will copy and paste the answers here from other people who have done the work... :p

Sloth
26-04-10, 12:23 PM
not at all, i merely posted that because i dont know all the answers, and tbh the stuff on there is way beyond the stuff in the how to's on here. whats your issue? all i was doing was trying to help the o.p out.:thumb:

craig green
26-04-10, 01:49 PM
Sloth bashing already..... :(

No takers yet to start a build, for real?

Stuart
26-04-10, 01:53 PM
I think collectively there are the parts to do it lol.

Sloth
26-04-10, 02:18 PM
IF i have the time after pv i may get one built up. depends on lots of things tho.

djshaggeh
26-04-10, 02:28 PM
I'm going to be attempting this in the next few months.

I was going to turbo the GTE until it got written off so that was a bit of a set back. Now I have black stigs saloon so I can get back to it.

I have an engine, turbo, manifold, boost pipes and intercooler. Just saving some pennys for a wide band lambda an AFPR. I will be doing it the scatty/pikey/bodge way as you might have guessed.

craig green
26-04-10, 02:48 PM
pics of manifold & turbo.

djshaggeh
26-04-10, 02:53 PM
Pic quality is a bit ****, sorry. This is a mock up with a c16se I have at work.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/djshaggeh/DSC00166.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/djshaggeh/DSC00162.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/djshaggeh/DSC00165.jpg

djshaggeh
26-04-10, 02:55 PM
I'm going to have to move the radiator forward to clear the turbo. Also the turbo has a little bit of play in the shaft. But at the end of the day I'm only doing it for myself, to see if I can. Instead of wasting my money on beer and drugs.

Craig, if you want better, more detailed pics of the manifold. Let me know as its off the turbo and off the head atm.

muzzy
26-04-10, 03:13 PM
I know its a mock up and not a huge issue but is there clearance for an oil filter in behind the turbo or will you need to run a remote filter?

puss puss
26-04-10, 03:17 PM
looks nice could you take better pictures and go into more detail about the manifold and what turbo is that or whats it off?

cheers fella :)

djshaggeh
26-04-10, 03:19 PM
Its doesn't look it in the pictures but there is a fair bit of room, so need for a re-location kit. The turbo sticks out a fair way from the head and block. Apparantley it was on a corsa before, so I'm guessing there is more clearence at the front?

No worries Mr Puss Puss. I'm at work atm so I haven't got the cable for my phone. I'll take some pictures and upload them tonight. Oh and its a T2 turbo

muzzy
26-04-10, 03:31 PM
Its doesn't look it in the pictures but there is a fair bit of room, so need for a re-location kit. The turbo sticks out a fair way from the head and block. Apparantley it was on a corsa before, so I'm guessing there is more clearence at the front?

No worries Mr Puss Puss. I'm at work atm so I haven't got the cable for my phone. I'll take some pictures and upload them tonight. Oh and its a T2 turbo

I wasn't sure what the clearance was, looks quite close in the picture. I'm fairly sure there's more room at the front of a Corsa but less at the side's or something along those lines.

djshaggeh
26-04-10, 04:04 PM
I've got some more photos for those that asked. I didn't make the manifold so I can't get much info on it unfortunatley. A friend showed me a 1.2 manifold that I'm sure could be persuaded to fit without too much hassle. I'm sure thats what Mike was getting at in his turbo article, although he said an MPi manifold but thats 4-2-1.

I was going to get a photo of the clearence between the turbo and the oil filter but that involves bolting it back up and I'm supposed to be at work so I better not. You'll just have to take my word for it.

Someone get me a 1600 bottom end and I'll knock something up but would need a car to go in lol

I've got a spare c16se block here Stuart, free if you wanna collect it?

Rich
26-04-10, 06:21 PM
im currently building a garage with my mate to keep my nova project and build that back up once its out the bodyshop. when its sorted we want somthing to do (same mate i was doing this with http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129511&highlight=1400+turbo) so i will make another thread if we do it. Will be using a 1600 this time though, still a small block but might as well start with 100brake rather than 80! lol

Wont be for a good couple of months at least, i want my let on the road first lol

MK999
26-04-10, 06:40 PM
1.2 crank = NOT 1.6

I have a head and megasquirt... Someone get me a 1600 bottom end and I'll knock something up but would need a car to go in lol

If you're doing it for free you can have my engine lol SR shell in the garage is waiting for a small block turbo :p

shrtwrec20
26-04-10, 06:55 PM
I'm in the middle of collecting parts from ebay and hunting through my garage. Currently bidding on a few turbo's saab 900, R5 GTT and a 200sx one. Hopefully I don't win em all lol

Definately want to do this. I have the engine on the stand waiting. Gonna use a exhaust gasket to mark out a flange and get it cut out on the profile/plasma cutter in work. Weld in some 90's and 45's. Bit of milling here and there. Really looking forward to getting this on the go lol.

Will maybe start a thread when I get to it (Currently working 10hrs a day 7 days a week so wont be straight away)

Gonna use megasquirt and maybe some bigger injectors? Not sure whether I'll go down the piston or spacer plate road though. I can probably make a plate in work so would cost nothing but time. I'll see how the funds are once the bodywork is done :thumbs:

djshaggeh
26-04-10, 07:26 PM
More pictures as requested.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/djshaggeh/DSC00330.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/djshaggeh/DSC00331.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/djshaggeh/DSC00332.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/djshaggeh/DSC00333-1.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/djshaggeh/DSC00328-1.jpg

Do you likey my new spoiler? You'd be dizzy not to, ya get me blud?!

muzzy
26-04-10, 07:31 PM
lol @ spoiler

Good pictures, I can now see why there's no issues with the oil filter lol

puss puss
26-04-10, 07:44 PM
awsome thanks for the pictures dude :) lol at the spoiler :)

matt_vaughan
27-12-11, 04:35 PM
Just going to bump this thread as I'm not making yet another E16SET thread, there's plenty enough already with loads of info in.

What we need to do is find a way of avoiding the major expenses, such as the oil filter relocation kit and the fueling. For something that "may" not work, people are put off when they find out they need to pile hundreds into it before they know whether it'll even run for 2 minutes.

From what I've read, there are a few manifold options to someone building a turbo.

- Use an SPI/MPI manifold, stick and adaptor plate on it and bolt the turbo to that. Oil filter may be really close though so might not work in that respect.
- I've seen a couple with "upside down" manifolds, where the turbo is above the exhaust ports. This eradicats the oil filter clearance problem, but it's more weight up top, and complicates the exhaust system.
- Fabricate a tubular manifold from a fubared/XE manifold runners, and position the turbo accordingly this way.
- Run a TD turbo such as a 1.7 Vauxhall TD engine turbo which doesnt have actuator etc (twist body) and therefore avoids oil filter.

IIRC, a rising rate FPR is the best bodge on a E16SE management (doesnt work on C16 management iirc).

ben doodar
22-01-13, 12:52 PM
Interesting thread this I'm determined to build 1 of these

essexboi
30-06-13, 12:29 AM
I'm looking into turboing my x16xe, corsa vxrs manifold and turbo bolt straight on, need to relocate the oil filter but that isn't alot on money £40ish. And the z16lel pistons are the same size as the x16xe give or take 0.010mm, but im going to use a gasket spacer gasket first and standard management.

Has anyone had any progress with this yet??