PDA

View Full Version : Stretched Bonnet Cable

Mattman
24-04-10, 11:52 AM
Had a search but it brings back hundreds of threads. Can anyone help.

I know this will be a simple thing to most of you but as title, the bonnet cable has obviously stretched to the point of not releasing the bonnet. How the heck do I get into the bonnet now so I cxan replace/tighten the cable?

Cheers

Edit- there is no one around to thump the bonnet for me while I pull the lever

let_nova
24-04-10, 11:58 AM
remove the pull assembly, take off the lever and pull it that way. or reach underneath and pop the catch over with a screw driver

bmw156
24-04-10, 02:55 PM
the way i did it, was pull the lever out of the holder by the dash, and then give that a reall good tug, then put it back in the holder, and adjust the bit under the bonnet :)

craig green
24-04-10, 08:06 PM
Undo the rusty clip in the bay (on the slam panel) & slide the outer sheath toward the passenger inner wing, retighten & test.

Lubing the hole inner cable will make it last a bit longer. WHen they ge stiff, you yank the handle harder which risks pulling it off the A pillar & it never staying on again.

GDN16v
24-04-10, 08:16 PM
Undo the rusty clip in the bay (on the slam panel) & slide the outer sheath toward the passenger inner wing, retighten & test.

Lubing the hole inner cable will make it last a bit longer. WHen they ge stiff, you yank the handle harder which risks pulling it off the A pillar & it never staying on again.

Best way:thumb:;):d

Jon_nova1
24-04-10, 08:38 PM
what the two above say, don't listen to the other bodgers lol

and lube up the latch too lol

craig green
24-04-10, 08:50 PM
Best way:thumb:;):d

Thats how it is fitted & you have to 'adjust' it to make it work anyway. Merely re adjust ityto compensate for stretch. WIN.

Mattman
24-04-10, 09:13 PM
Cheers for the help folks, stil no further forward (getting the bonnet open) but I didn't spend long at it as had other things to do today. Will get it sorted at some point this week while I am off work. The car hasn't been on the road for months now due to the starter so not that fussed when I actually get it sorted as I can;t drive it till I have bought and fitted the new one (apart from the weather getting better now and I want to drive it)

Benn
24-04-10, 09:17 PM
Lay on the floor, arm up the back of the rad till your fingers touch the slam panel, feel where the cable goes thru the panel, you'll feel the metal wire on the inside, pull it hard down* and the bonnet will pop.

*might hurt your fingers if your a girl.

bmw156
24-04-10, 09:44 PM
Lay on the floor, arm up the back of the rad till your fingers touch the slam panel, feel where the cable goes thru the panel, you'll feel the metal wire on the inside, pull it hard down* and the bonnet will pop.
*might hurt your fingers if your a girl.

how long is your arm lol i tried that but no chance

Benn
24-04-10, 09:46 PM
I can put my palm on the under side of the bonnet. My mate can pull the cable too.

No locks and a dead battery means you get used to it...