PDA

View Full Version : machining pistons?

burch1990
23-04-10, 11:21 PM
does it weaken them? is it safe to machine cast pistons? i've got a friend that can do them for me, i could get some pics of one he's done. hes taken them down completely flat and put radius rings in? :confused: he's told me they will b completely safe, any opinions? thanks

nova_saloon
24-04-10, 12:22 AM
should be alright, just as long as its not to much

MK999
24-04-10, 12:33 AM
obviously it will weaken them, you're taking material out! It depends how much it weakens them against how much stress they're going to endure, which without some major resources is a guess, I wouldn't do it on an expensive engine, on a nova 8v, fcuk it, if it goes bang get another one for under 100 quid lol

burch1990
24-04-10, 01:27 AM
lol good point, i mean he took it down to the bottom of the bowl. like the side lip so they were competely flat but taking nothing out of the middle. said it would lower the compression by about 15% and would be fine?

craig green
24-04-10, 06:59 PM
said it would lower the compression by about 15% and would be fine?

lol lol

Fit them & tell us how you get on. Can I ask why they need machining & what engine they are for?

Connor
24-04-10, 07:24 PM
lol lol

Fit them & tell us how you get on. Can I ask why they need machining & what engine they are for?

Its for a 1.6 8v T
As it mentions in his other thread in mechanical
"double headgaskets" lol

Jon_nova1
24-04-10, 07:51 PM
I remember a few years ago dremelling a 1-2MM hole in my pistons because the valves from the race head hit the pistons, i wouldn't do it on a turbo though, could you not get material taken out of the cylinder head instead?

craig green
24-04-10, 07:52 PM
Its for a 1.6 8v T
As it mentions in his other thread in mechanical
"double headgaskets" lol

I know. All the same discussion splattered about the forum, numerous times.

Connor
24-04-10, 08:04 PM
I know. All the same discussion splattered about the forum, numerous times.
:roll: