PDA

View Full Version : Arbs and tie bars?

yayoboy
23-04-10, 11:10 PM
If like me you have the thinner tie bars, and were going to get and fit a gte arb, would I need the thicker tie bars also or would it fit ok to the ones on there now? And if I did need the thicker tie bars, would I also have to get the tie bar brackets or are they the same? Cheers

Graeme
23-04-10, 11:15 PM
The brackets that mount to the cross member are the same and its the bushes that you need in the arb mounts that you need to change for it to fit the skinnier tie bars

yayoboy
23-04-10, 11:24 PM
cheers gray, So basically i need a pair of the big arb bushes and a pair of the smaller ones, correct

Lee H
23-04-10, 11:28 PM
You need 4 of the same size bushes. The bushes go round the tie bars and the ARB bolts below this.

If you have an XE you will either need to lower the tie bars or ARB to clear the manifold.

yayoboy
23-04-10, 11:38 PM
So if that's the case, not being able to mix and match the bushes, then I have to get the thicker tie bars

Lee H
23-04-10, 11:43 PM
I don't see why you'd need to mix and match, the tie bars are the same thickness all along? 4 bushes on the tie bars and then the ARB bolts on the bottom?

Not sure if there are different sized bushes though, thought only the cars with thicker tie bars had ARB's.

yayoboy
23-04-10, 11:55 PM
There are 16 mm bushes and 20 mm bushes and there are 16 and 20mm arbs,

yayoboy
24-04-10, 12:00 AM
Do the bushes only go round the tie bars, so the bracket clamps directly to the arb (never seen one so help me out here) if that's the case I would just have to get the 16mm bushes, providing they would still fit in the arb bracket the same as the 20mm ones, or is it just easy to get the thicker tie bars! Lol

Lee H
24-04-10, 12:16 AM
Best picture I could find on Google.

http://www.reidracing.co.uk/images/carbuild/suspension15.jpg

I've always binned the ARB's on my Nova's when i've converted them so not certain on sizes etc myself.

yayoboy
24-04-10, 10:04 AM
Ok lee thanks mate, ive never drove one with arbs so just want to see what it's like as it's gonna be a track tool, hoping it will improve the handling

mk1nova_rich
24-04-10, 10:14 AM
yes the bushes go round the tie bars, but they are thicker than 16mm :confused: i have got the GTE tie bars and they in the region of 22mm i believe, so i dont understand where the 16 and 20mm come from

AlexW
24-04-10, 02:54 PM
Standard **** spec cars have 16mm tiebars iirc, then there is 20mm tiebars on SR's and then 22mm tiebars on GTE/GSI's and diesels, iirc of course.

If your looking for handling, your prob want to remove the arb, Personally i would say keep it off until you have everything else set as you want it and then fit it and see if you like it.

Ive ditched mine and it handles better.