PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know anything about dismissal procedures?

stevenf
23-04-10, 05:46 PM
as the title says really. got dismissed from work yesterday and want to make sure they done it by the book

steven

bazil
23-04-10, 05:50 PM
depend if you done something bad? if you got the bullet out of the blue there is a path to follow but you only get 4 months or something to lodge a case.

muzzy
23-04-10, 05:53 PM
My Mrs says it depends on what you did firstly because it must have been classed as gross misconduct or similar to be dismissed with no prior warnings. If your previous employers have an HR department then you will want to check they're procedures with regards to dismissals and what would be serious enough to have you out the door straight away.

Andy
23-04-10, 06:18 PM
as said depends what youve done really,thieving and suchlike is enough to warrant instant dismissal.As probably is bumming the bosses wife..........

Pete
23-04-10, 06:19 PM
if your unhappy with what has happened and you've had no prior warning, get in contact with Acas.org

someone i use to work with got sacked for no reason, he got in contact with acas and they got him his job back and got the managers sacked from the whole company.

well worth giving them a ring.

novaguy08
23-04-10, 08:34 PM
If you commited gross missconduct, then your out of luck, this is usually detailed in your employee handbook, includes such things as:

- At work under influence of Alcohol
- Theft from the company (but then they have to have evidence before dismissal)
- working in an extreemly unsafe manor, something that may cause risk to yours or others lives.

there are others, for example, in my Netto book it actually says that Insolence to another member of staff will get you kicked out instantly!

IF you haven't done anything detailed as Gross misconduct then you have the warnings process:

- Verbal warning
- Written warning
- Final Written warning
- Dismissal

There is no real way to get around this, and if your given a written warning you need to have been given a copy to sign, so that they can't come back later with stuff you not seen before.

Any more information you need should be here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/index.htm

You should also contact your ex employer to find out why you were given the boot. if you don't think that the reason is acceptable I would contact a solicitor. Begin legal action against them for unfair dismissal.

stevenf
23-04-10, 09:49 PM
it was for a few things that i had not done and they said that i never followed company procedure. i have had no training in the procedures that they have given me the boot for.was also wondering when they give you the dismissal letter does it have to be on headed paper from the company as in my letter it has not got the company name on it anywhere.

muzzy
23-04-10, 10:00 PM
Doesn't sound the most professional approach. I would be tempted to speak to someone that can give you proper advice and you can go through the whole thing with them to see whether or not you would have a case for unfair dismissal or whether your previous employer got it correct.

mowgli
23-04-10, 10:13 PM
citizens advice bureau

Nebbz
23-04-10, 10:13 PM
Citizens advise buro they will fight your case for you if its unfair dismissal what nova guy 08 said is pretty much how they have to do it, verbal, written, final, dismiss.

edit: unless u are in your probation, if so you have no leg to stand on

stevenf
23-04-10, 10:14 PM
going to go to citizens advice on monday to see what info they can give me but was just wondering if anyone on here was up to scratch with employment law lol just trying to get as much info as possible the now before i go

mowgli
23-04-10, 10:15 PM
what sort of work???? how long were you there??? had you received any prior warnings???

stevenf
23-04-10, 10:16 PM
Citizens advise buro they will fight your case for you if its unfair dismissal what nova guy 08 said is pretty much how they have to do it, verbal, written, final, dismiss.

edit: unless u are in your probation, if so you have no leg to stand on

no i aint on probation lol it was full time employment wich i had been in for the past 2 and half years

stevenf
23-04-10, 10:17 PM
what sort of work???? how long were you there??? had you received any prior warnings???

forklift driver/warehouseman
was there since october 2007
had final written warning wich was then removed after an appeal

mowgli
23-04-10, 10:19 PM
how did you not follow procedures... fork in, lift, place, fork out...repeat... what were you accused of???

stevenf
23-04-10, 10:22 PM
was unloading a vehicle and never had it weighed off as i have never been told to weigh them off in the past

stevenf
23-04-10, 10:24 PM
and also i never managed to do a packaging stock take as there was not enough time left on my shift to do it and i was not staying late as they refuse to pay overtime. i personally think they have done it as they are needing to make 12 redundancies in the next 3 weeks.

mowgli
23-04-10, 10:24 PM
get some legal help asap...

stevenf
23-04-10, 10:25 PM
going first thing on monday to CAB

dj_wudgey
24-04-10, 09:30 AM
as said go to citizens advice ive been dismissed a few times like but there was f*ck all i could do lol

bmw156
24-04-10, 09:36 AM
i dont wanna sound a coont.
but if you have been sacked etc and then they are found to be in the wrong and have to give you your job back. your gonna be hated by all the managers and they are going to be looking for a way to get you out.

surly it wont be a good work enviroment for your self....

phazer
24-04-10, 09:49 AM
i dont wanna sound a coont.
but if you have been sacked etc and then they are found to be in the wrong and have to give you your job back. your gonna be hated by all the managers and they are going to be looking for a way to get you out.

surly it wont be a good work enviroment for your self....

True enough. However, having a sacking on your record and trying to explain at the next job interview you go to is not great.

If you get your job back you keep your head down and the first thing you do is find another job and leave of your own accord.