PDA

View Full Version : Insurance? What to do?

Nobby
23-04-10, 08:26 AM
As my other thread my LET got wrote off off last night im now looking at insurance options. I was fully insured and taxed mot etc etc. But i have quite bad neck and back pain as does the Mrs. My car was valued at £1200 but my engine is worth £1k all being well and i would like to keep my car and stripit. However im now without a car and a courtesy car would be ideal. So how do i go about getting a CC and possible injury claims but no claiming for my car?

Thanks

bazil
23-04-10, 08:30 AM
The cc should be claimed against the other driver if she admired liability or was found to be at fault, if you have the legal cover with your insurance they should sort out the claims for you.

Riggy
23-04-10, 08:39 AM
have you got an agreed value of 1200 or is that just what you told them its worth ? , as normally they will just pay out book figure for a nova, which isnt alot prob about 300-500

also not every insurance will let you keep the car , some let you buy it back , other want it themselves

i made sure when i insured mine that i had a decent agreed value £3k and that i got salvage retention , so if the worst ever did happen to me then i get a nice sum and i do keep the car aswell lol

bazil
23-04-10, 08:41 AM
Never knew about the salvage side of things, cheers riggy thats something new learned today.

Nobby
23-04-10, 09:10 AM
have you got an agreed value of 1200 or is that just what you told them its worth ? , as normally they will just pay out book figure for a nova, which isnt alot prob about 300-500

also not every insurance will let you keep the car , some let you buy it back , other want it themselves

i made sure when i insured mine that i had a decent agreed value £3k and that i got salvage retention , so if the worst ever did happen to me then i get a nice sum and i do keep the car aswell lol

ye thats just what was agreed over the phone mate

AlexW
23-04-10, 09:17 AM
Who are you with? People might have previous experience and know if your be able to keep the car etc.

Ben
23-04-10, 09:22 AM
Could still try arguing over the value if all the mods are declared etc,

Do you have the courtesy car option and legal cover?

If you and mrs are sore you MUST go to the doctors straight away especially if your claiming as the insurance company will ask for medical records and if you havent even been to the dr's it will get thrown straight out.

L33 LEG
23-04-10, 10:17 AM
I wouldnt bother going through insurance tbh, surely it'l be better to keep the car and just reshell it. If you claim i cant see any other company touching you with a LET again.

Ben
23-04-10, 10:19 AM
Fair point but the compensation payments could add up, might sound strange but can you claim on your iunsuranc efor personal injury and say i dont want to claim for the car?

I know when i have had shunts before i have opted out of having mine repaired but never made a personal claim in as well.

Adam*D
23-04-10, 10:33 AM
Nobby, pm me what exactly happened and I'll get my dad to have a look at it. He has his own accident assistance company and does injury claims and hire cars.
http://www.aisolution.co.uk/

Adam*D
23-04-10, 10:36 AM
Fair point but the compensation payments could add up, might sound strange but can you claim on your iunsuranc efor personal injury and say i dont want to claim for the car?

I know when i have had shunts before i have opted out of having mine repaired but never made a personal claim in as well.

Unfortunatly you defo can't claim off your own insurance for personal injury, if ya could people would buy an old banger and drive it into a wall and claim ££££ compo :(

Ben
23-04-10, 10:49 AM
I meant off her insurance, can you put in a compensation claim but not the car claim?

dj_wudgey
23-04-10, 11:52 AM
I wouldnt bother going through insurance tbh, surely it'l be better to keep the car and just reshell it. If you claim i cant see any other company touching you with a LET again.

i cant either mate i wouldnt bother if it was your fault any way!!

Nobby
23-04-10, 12:27 PM
ive spoke 2 my insurance and iv got a personal injry claim and a courtesy car going through? how will it affect my insurance if im claiming off hers?

Jack
23-04-10, 12:36 PM
You'll be claiming off her insurance (well, technically she'll be claiming off her insurance to cover your costs, so you won't lose your NCB).

As said, they WILL write it off; by looking at the pics, I'd guess they might give it a B as the front end is pretty mashed. The third party insurance company will probably only offer you book price too, so you may want to get your insurance company involved as they might help you fight for a better value (look for cars of similar spec/condition that have sold recently).

As for the claim, like Ben said you can't put in a claim for injury but not car damage. As said above though, don't worry about claiming on her insurance as you won't lose your NCB and your policy shouldn't increase, as long as all costs are covered by her insurance (make sure her company are paying for a courtesy car too!)

[edit] Is YOUR insurance paying for the courtesy car and repairs, then claiming it back off HER insurance?

blue_peg_16v
23-04-10, 12:53 PM

legaly the insurance company cant stop you keeping the car you may have to argue hard, but remember its your property not theres unless they have paid you out.

hope you got it recovered to home tho as that helps the argument as its still in your posession

Jack
23-04-10, 12:55 PM
Mmm, that would still be a claim on the car though? Just that you refused the payout and kept the car instead. Mind you, if they offered you (for example) £1000 and let you buy it back for £300 you'd be "up".

blue_peg_16v
23-04-10, 12:55 PM

this will be a none fault claim so wont affect future insurance the other party caused it

Ben
23-04-10, 12:56 PM
lol strip it bare and then say some pikey nicked it for scrap.

Jack
23-04-10, 12:57 PM
this will be a none fault claim so wont affect future insurance the other party caused it
None fault claims can if the insurance company couldn't recoup all the costs. Thats why I said about the courtesy car, as sometimes they can be a pain to get payment for.

blue_peg_16v
23-04-10, 12:59 PM
when the woman ram into the back of the loon and wrote it off i got £500 and kept the car thats a good 6 year since tho cost me £100 to get it straightened and then used the rest to mk2 it lol

blue_peg_16v
23-04-10, 01:00 PM
None fault claims can if the insurance company couldn't recoup all the costs. Thats why I said about the courtesy car, as sometimes they can be a pain to get payment for.

wouldnt be classed as none fault with the insurer then would be down nock for nock or partial blame if its none fault everything is recoverable form the 3rd party even physio for injuries etc