PDA

View Full Version : rust proofer

damo mc
22-04-10, 10:15 PM
Hi lads im looking to know wats the best rust proofer to use on the underbody i was going to paint on waxoll but a lad told me not to use it cause it water get between it and the steel and rots it i thought it was the best thing to use what do yous think is best thing to use thanks

craig green
22-04-10, 10:41 PM
waxoyl or rather schultz underseal is prolly best stuff, but its filthy & orrible stuff.

Some chaps on here are using 3M Graviguard or gravitex products. Try looking around the net for proper body supplies, not pretend stuff from Halfords.

Steve
22-04-10, 10:43 PM
body schultz, just don't breathe it in as iirc it gets you rather high lol

vaughanmc
22-04-10, 10:59 PM
I've never heard of Schutlz mate but I've been told Schutz is what you want :) Similar to Stonechip but I've read that Stonechip can shrink...

craig green
22-04-10, 11:08 PM
Nah, Schultz is a really wet black tar like substance that never really sets, so anything you 'do' under your arches or car will have you & your tools covered in the sh*t. It is good at sealing out moisture & crap but personally I hate it, I guess cos I'm a bit bufty & showy. However I'm not sure its that good on bare metal as it is fairly thin when on & as it is usually still in a soft state, could be scratched or pitted through by stone chips, so rust could start. You want something with a density or thiuckness to it so it can cushion any impact & do a bit of sound deadening IMO.
Edd did some research when doing his underbody & found some Graviguard stuff which is a trade product though he got hold of it easily in our lame town. Its a bit like the underseal on the std shell floor pans but it will take a lot & many layers to get the thikness, so can be thinner. Its overpaintable too.

Novasport
22-04-10, 11:20 PM
Clean underbody, good primer, seam sealer, Gravitex then paint.
If you are not fussed about looks then black Wayoyl is fine but make sure the surface is prepped first(ie dry & clean), it has saved my Sport from rotting away over the last 25 years.

Novasport
22-04-10, 11:23 PM
Black underbody Waxoyl is not pretty but it works...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/NovaSport/DSCF1662.jpg

Or Gravitex & paint for the concours look as I had done on my shell...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/NovaSport/CIMG0415-1.jpg

Danny s-p
22-04-10, 11:35 PM
body schultz, just don't breathe it in as iirc it gets you rather high lolyes it can get you high i was stuck under my nova all last week end with it felt prity strange when i came out from under it lol

damo mc
23-04-10, 05:50 PM
thanks for the help lads ill look into getting gravitex here and how much it is if not ill use waxoyl