PDA

View Full Version : Brake lights staying on?

novalovingned
22-04-10, 09:06 PM
As the title says guys, i turn the ignition on and on come the brake lights :wtf:

Jackroadkill
22-04-10, 09:08 PM
Sounds like your brake light switch has gone duff. Shouldn't be a big job to replace.

novalovingned
22-04-10, 09:20 PM
Sounds like your brake light switch has gone duff. Shouldn't be a big job to replace.
Is it a common fault? Thats the first thing i tried, took it off and turned it around incase it was connected the wrong way and it didnt make the slightest bit of difference lol

Its like its taking a positive from somewhere?

brucer
22-04-10, 09:25 PM
did you make sure the plunger is free? if its stuck in then thats why the lights are on.

novalovingned
22-04-10, 09:27 PM
did you make sure the plunger is free? if its stuck in then thats why the lights are on.

Good shout. Will give that a check :thumb:

muzzy
22-04-10, 09:36 PM
Could be an earth problem if its not the switch

yayoboy
22-04-10, 09:37 PM
doesnt matter which way round it is matey its just a switch, check the plunger, or if you have a meter, check for continuity between the spadesw when you press the plunger

Jackroadkill
22-04-10, 09:50 PM
Is it a common fault? Thats the first thing i tried, took it off and turned it around incase it was connected the wrong way and it didnt make the slightest bit of difference lol

Its like its taking a positive from somewhere?
Some work "backwards", as in the switch is actually off when pressed in by the pedal arm . If the switch dies the circuit can interpret this as the pedal being in use. Don't know if this is the case on the Nova but is definitely a common way of doing things.

Jon_nova1
22-04-10, 10:03 PM
is your fog light on? lol

novalovingned
22-04-10, 11:07 PM
is your fog light on? lol

lol that was the first thing i checked. Pulled the bulb holders out of the lenses to check that it was the brake lights and not the tail lights, also put the fog light on to check.

Im 99% sure its not an earth, everything else on the car is workig perfectly.

My guess after reading what you guys have been saying is the switch. It cant really be anything else?

Rich
25-04-10, 11:44 PM
they stay on when the switch is unplugged?

novalovingned
26-04-10, 11:18 PM
they stay on when the switch is unplugged?

No they never mate.

Found the reason............. dodgy brake light switch :) I now have another one which cheeze gave me, cheers buddy :thumb:

mowgli
27-04-10, 09:21 PM
you took 4 days to be convinced, when the first answer said switch. next time trust the people more

novalovingned
27-04-10, 09:29 PM
you took 4 days to be convinced, when the first answer said switch. next time trust the people more

Note post 10, last line!