PDA

View Full Version : URGENT URGENT TROUBLE, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

James B
24-04-03, 09:04 PM
I have a 1.2 merit mk2 nova, which had a mk1 1.2 engine. i have just swapped the engine for a 1.4SR mk2 engine. The engine is not starting however, it turns over fine with the starter motor but seems like no sparks are gettin thru. I have been through everything i can think of, and narrowed it down to either the wiring on the dizzy or the wiring on the coil.

I have bought new HT leads, new dizzy cap, new dizzy, new rotor arm AND new ignition coil. Still dont bloody work. so my guess is the wiring. OK, let me explain the wiring.

When i had the 1.2 engine in, there were two wires running from coil to dizzy. these were black and red. Now, this new dizzy has three wires, green yellow and black. From mates all over the place i think that the yellow is for the autochoke and the other two go to the coil. First off, is this correct.

Secondly, there are three terminals on the dizzy, which wire goes to which terminal?

and lastly, in which order do the wires enter the block on the ignition coil. At current i have the following:

Top left, black
Bottom Left, Red
Top right, brown
Bottom right, empty ( i used this for tacho on 1.2 as i have gsi dash)

I really need to get this car on the road this evening so i need urgent help.

Please!

Cheers, James

ade
24-04-03, 11:59 PM
when I had my 1.4 engine fitted (from a 1.2) - the mechanic hasd to rig up an extra loom bit running from the cil to the dizzy.

I'll be honest and say I dont know what the wiring is - however, I will consult haynes and let you know in a bit

I'm also getting my car back tomorrow (about bloody time!) so I;ll try and let you know by then if you dont get a reply in the meantime

Ade

Aragorn
25-04-03, 12:28 AM
you got the ignition module connected??

the 3 wires are becuase it uses a different sensor and has a lil ignition module that sits under the coil to run everything

using haynes u should be able to wire it up i reckon

mikeoxford
25-04-03, 12:31 AM
you got the ignition module connected??

the 3 wires are becuase it uses a different sensor and has a lil ignition module that sits under the coil to run everything

using haynes u should be able to wire it up i reckon

by his other msg thread i dont think he has the ign module....i could be wrong

Aragorn
25-04-03, 12:37 AM
well thats the problem then

the 1.2 uses a simple contact breaker style ignition to turn the coil on and off (which creates the sparks)

1.4 uses a hall effect sensor and some electronic shiz to do it

iirc the dizzy's 3 wires go to ignition module

the coil also connects to module

and module connects to engine loom

check the haynes wiring diagram for the 14nv engine - its all there

James B
25-04-03, 01:00 AM
aragorn mate cheers, ok looks like we might be gettin somewhere...

so this module, wot it look like? I can tell u if i have it or not then!

Also the haynes i have only goes up to a 1.3 engine and i cannot for the life of me find another one??

Its really pissing me off now!!!! LOL :roll:

Stuart
25-04-03, 01:04 AM
like i said in the otehr post CHECK everything before trying to fit another dizzy

James B
25-04-03, 01:14 AM
cambridge mate checked all the obvious things 1st and was (still am) in a fit of desperation! have to have car working AT VERY LATEST by 2 o clock 2mora afternoon or i am stuck in Aylesbury when i am supposed to be at work bout 70 miles away!!

OK what does this ign module look like, by sounds of it might not have one. If this is case then 2mora ill go to the nearest scrappy and get one, but I'll need some help wiring. I cannot find anywhere the haynes for 1.4, got 1.0 1.2 and 1.3 in one edition but thats the lot

Thanks

James

Stuart
25-04-03, 01:28 AM
are the HT leads and sparks plugs in decent condition??

IF you say taht you are getting a spark from the coil (that would be down the king lead to the center of the distributor cap) then how the hell are you not getting spark to the plugs?? becvause if there is a spark from the coiol then your original distributor is FINE.

you havent got the distributor cap on the opposite way round?? i know there locating points but still. or if the rotor arm on the wrong way round? (again has locating lugs)

as ive said, if you claim you have a spark entering the center pin of the distriutor it can only really be the few things ive mentioned here

James B
25-04-03, 01:52 AM
HT leads brand new, spark plugs are from me old engine but are in good nick

now there isnt a spark from coil after just testing it again now, there was like 2 days ago

Im gettin cheesed off

for now im going with this ignition module thing, if someone could tell me where its located and what it looks like ill go see if i can get me paws on one

James

Stuart
25-04-03, 09:40 AM
jsut go to a motor factors and get the module for the original dizzy that you have.

much simpler to sort out. two bolts and 2 connectors. easier than trying to get a system thats not used on the 1.2 to work (esp in such short time)

James B
25-04-03, 09:44 AM
jsut go to a motor factors and get the module for the original dizzy that you have.

much simpler to sort out. two bolts and 2 connectors. easier than trying to get a system thats not used on the 1.2 to work (esp in such short time)

dont understand what you mean?? ok heres another plan - coz i NEED my car to work and clock is ticking down..

I know the 1.2 dizzy worked fine but has differnet mounting pins when attaching to the head, would it be possible to take the cam out of my 1.2 and put it in the 1.4, then simply put the 1.2 dizzy back on again.

:arrow: a) would it be ok to put the 1.2 cam in 1.4
:arrow: b) would this solve the ignition problem or would i STILL need an ignition module?

Cheers

James

Stuart
25-04-03, 09:47 AM
you still need the module!! jut go to a motor factors and ask for an ignitition module for the distrubutor that you had originally (im assuming the 1.2 one)

this is mounted inside the dizzy, very easy to change.

this will be the easiest fix

Ste_Nova
25-04-03, 10:53 AM
you need a

1.4sr dizzy
1.4sr module
1.4sr coil
1.4sr dizzy/coil/module loom

the 1.4sr dizzy will not work with the 1.2 parts

Ste_Nova
25-04-03, 10:56 AM
coil
http://mig.lathwood.co.uk/upload/1/14nvcoil.jpg

wiring (not exact match)
http://mig.lathwood.co.uk/upload/1/14vnvloom.jpg

Aragorn
25-04-03, 11:33 AM
like i said

go to the scrappy and rip the entire ignition system outta a SR

u want the coil (and module that sits underneath) the wiring from dizzy, module and coil and the distributor

James B
25-04-03, 11:56 AM
ok i have just been down to partco and bought the ignition module. it was ?45, its a little black box with 4 terminals. OK now i have the fun task of working out where the hell it wires up to

firstly, the coil i have looks absolutely nothing like the pic of the coil that ste_sa posted. It isnt so much of a long cylindrical thing, its more of a flat shape with a cylinder in the middle. This is what i bought from Halfords as it said this was for the 1.4SR. So is this a loada bull? DO i need the coil that looks like the one in the pic, anyone have the part number for it or summit?

Secondly, wiring. I haveno idea where anything goes to anything.

Time remaining to get it fixed - 3 hours

Help!!

James

Aragorn
25-04-03, 11:58 AM
either work

im not at home so i cant post u any wiring diagrams :(

James B
25-04-03, 12:00 PM
secondly, the pic that was posted had a module wit six pins, mine has 4??

Im pissed off as fuck with part companies giving rong bits out

halfrauds are the worst

b@stards

Aragorn
25-04-03, 12:07 PM
i think mine has 4

but its an SPi

im trying to get u a scan of the wiring diagram form haynes if u can hang on for 10mins

Ste_Nova
25-04-03, 12:54 PM
you need the 6? pin 1.4sr module it is the only one that will work with the hall sensor 1.4sr dizzy

any coil will work

the loom that links the hall sensor, dizzy and module together

rgv_stu
25-04-03, 01:47 PM
listen to steve , he has said exactly what it should be like

you can find the bits in any 1400 carb nova or astra. i think the 1600 carb cav should be the same, i cant really remember

if you have all the right bits its only 3 wires and the plug in the dissy itself.

btw aragorn the 1.2 and 1.3 are both electronic its just all the assosciated ingintion amp etc are all inside the dissy, thats why it looks soo huge and simple from the outside.

Stuart
25-04-03, 06:08 PM
hmm joy, due to you going on about 1.2 stuff i assumed you had 1.2 stuff.

what i said is correct, jsut not for yours lmao