PDA

View Full Version : What CV joint

Mieran
21-04-10, 09:11 PM
I don't know much about this sort of stuff so thought I'd ask.

The CV joint next to the gearbox (inner?) has major play in it so I'm going to replace it. Problem is I don't know which one to get because the drive shafts are not standard.

They are Regal driveshafts used for a big block conversion (XE with F16).

Am I correct in thinking a CV joint from a cav/astra/cali would fit?

novasrikev
21-04-10, 09:15 PM
count how maney splines there are most prob 25 i think

Adam
21-04-10, 09:19 PM
Major play in what way???

Nobby
21-04-10, 10:23 PM
major play in a inner joint??? not usual mate to be honest whats happening with it?

brainsnova
21-04-10, 10:24 PM
a guess it might be the bearing in the gearbox.

Mieran
21-04-10, 10:58 PM
when the car is in the air if you turn the wheel left and right there is lots of play in it

its not the suspension or top mounts, i can see the cv part moving

Mieran
23-04-10, 11:51 AM
Going to get my mate to have a look at it next week.

If it is the gearbox bearing, can they be replaced easily and is it only Vauxhall that supply them?

And if it is the CV joint, do I need a Cav/cali one?

AlexW
23-04-10, 11:58 AM
The CV should move in and out, grab a hold of the shaft and try to move it around, it will move in and out, but you shouldnt be able to move it around in a circlur motion too much.

I presume you had a clicking/clunking noise that lead you to the CV? Other wise, if it aint broke dont fix it!

As for what CV is needed, Might just be a big block one, dont know what regal use.

Mieran
23-04-10, 12:07 PM
As for what CV is needed, Might just be a big block one, dont know what regal use.

Thats what I need to know.

If I walked into the motor factors and asked for a Nova big block CV joint they wouldn't have a clue so need to know exactly which car they are from.

Thanks for the reply :thumb:

GRUNT 16V
23-04-10, 01:52 PM
cav calibra astra one big block cv is what you require

bungle117
23-04-10, 02:01 PM
Thats what I need to know.

If I walked into the motor factors and asked for a Nova big block CV joint they wouldn't have a clue so need to know exactly which car they are from.

Thanks for the reply :thumb:

I would have a clue :) most motor factors wouldn't :)

lomas
24-04-10, 09:33 PM
if the car is the same as when i put it together the inners are 2.0 ones and the outer ones are nova ones, the shafts are tappered ones