PDA

View Full Version : This could be you

L14MNP
21-04-10, 12:41 PM
Or more than likely me. (http://www.birminghamwired.co.uk/articles.php/53240-Warning-over-eBay-bidding-trick)

claire6069
21-04-10, 12:49 PM
5 grand fine for upping the price on your items yet the woman who killed my dad got a 200 quid fine - i think the british law has some serious issues!!

Pete
21-04-10, 01:01 PM
Was it Napalm_27 by any chance? lol

L14MNP
21-04-10, 01:15 PM
lol. I guess my suss_bidder and genuine_account I.D's have had it then.

I'll just have my mate bid up my stuff (if required). lol

Pete
21-04-10, 01:16 PM
lol. I guess my suss_bidder and genuine_account I.D's have had it then.

I'll just have my mate bid up my stuff (if required). lol

lol ive never done it myself, but i can see why people do

puss puss
21-04-10, 01:18 PM
dont really understand how they could track your mate bidding up your account anyway..

meh people will still do it, just like downloading music from 3rd party programs etc lol.

L14MNP
21-04-10, 01:20 PM
They won't track a mate, but this genius registered two accounts with the same details. bar email address I guess. Money making fail! lol

Pete
21-04-10, 01:22 PM
You have got to be stupid to be caught tho.
but yeah if you have a mate doing it for you then theres no way they can do anything about it. i presume if its like the same i.p and details etc doing it then its just plain obvious

Jack
21-04-10, 02:04 PM
Dead easy to track a mate doing it tbh, it would be simple to proove in a court of law.

and lol @ £200 fine for killing someone? I think there's more to that story. Anywoo, that would no doubt be UK law; this is a Euro ruling.

claire6069
21-04-10, 03:19 PM
Dead easy to track a mate doing it tbh, it would be simple to proove in a court of law.

and lol @ £200 fine for killing someone? I think there's more to that story. Anywoo, that would no doubt be UK law; this is a Euro ruling.

she was driving on the wrong side of road with her head below the dashboard looking for a hanky - hayfever apparently but in november?? anyway because there were no witnesses, they couldnt prove her head was below the dashboard, they could only take her statement which was her saying she took her eyes off the road to look in the footwell - hence no dangerous driving conviction but a driving without due care and attention - 6month ban and a 200 pound fine.

Connor
21-04-10, 05:21 PM
driving without due care and attention - 6month ban and a 200 pound fine.

Harsh seeing as it caused death
Should be prison at least ( IMO )

Jack
21-04-10, 07:59 PM
Mmm, not sure how they couldn't have pinned a death by- conviction there. Ah well.

brainsnova
21-04-10, 08:14 PM
easy way to spot mates bidding is a 7 day auction etc and theres already 1 bid at 99p and its obvious its the sellers mate lol

Pete
21-04-10, 08:40 PM
i bid on items at 99p soon as i see them, and then bid along when other people bid. and im a genuine buyer....

brainsnova
21-04-10, 08:46 PM
i ment to add ones that get relisted after you seen it sell and there was plenty bids.

Richie_B
21-04-10, 09:05 PM
Most people get friends to bd on their items rather than their own accounts though? How can you prove that they didn't want it, unless it's on a forum saying "please push this up for me please" lol

mowgli
21-04-10, 09:14 PM
so they 'invest' £6m on trying to stop shill bidders...... that is loose change compared to what they make from shill bidders running stuff up

Ste L
21-04-10, 09:14 PM
Most people get friends to bd on their items rather than their own accounts though? How can you prove that they didn't want it, unless it's on a forum saying "please push this up for me please" lol

if the same account, keep's bidding on another user's account, but never acctualy win's anything i think they will suss it out, that way

wwmnw
21-04-10, 11:01 PM
We invest over £6m each year in state-of-the-art technology to detect shill bidding and other illegal activities.

How? I don't see how they can stop people getting their friends and/or family from doing it on a different computer, I can see how it would stop people with two accounts on ebay or using a second computer as the I.P will be the same on the second account if they do it from home.

mowgli
21-04-10, 11:04 PM
most people get someone different to run each item up anyway

Bubba
21-04-10, 11:08 PM
its good too see our taxes being put too good use =/

L14MNP
21-04-10, 11:12 PM
i bid on items at 99p soon as i see them, and then bid along when other people bid. and im a genuine buyer....

eBay fail. lol

Wait 'til the death and then drop your max bid! Don't push the price up for no reason. [over used[Simples.[/over used]

I always win lol. Email the seller and say 'Hi mate, WHEN I win this can I arrange a courier etc' :thumb:

Jack
21-04-10, 11:18 PM
lol I do too, I think in all my years of bidding I've only lost about 4 or 5 items.

It would be pretty easy to gather evidence that two people were in cohorts. Simply looking at MSN connections would point out if the seller was conversing with the bidder.

Their "£6m state of the art technology" is probably some guy just looking at the bids for people with 0 feedback and reg'd less than 30 days bidding items up lol

puss puss
22-04-10, 10:25 AM
i wait till the last 30 sec's usally and put my max bid in

you just know someone out there is watching there screen with 30 sec's to go he refreshes the page and his face drops as he has been outbidded

thats how i bid anyway :)

and how would you proof you mate is a shill bidder or what ever?

If i only sell nova items and he bids on them at the last 10 mins or whatever to push the price up. Bids on all my nova items...

he could be genuie (sp) intrested in nova parts he just dont have a nova lol.

And yeh getting your mate to bid as soon as the item is listed is just pure stuipd imo. Like i said i wait til the last day, hour, 10 minutes usally.

Happy shilling lol

L14MNP
22-04-10, 10:43 AM
Shyl bydaz fo lyf. lol

Jack
22-04-10, 11:05 AM
30 seconds?! Pfft, hardcore bidders wait til that clock is in single digit seconds lol

mowgli
22-04-10, 11:07 AM
i learnt not to get the wifes friend to bid for me when i was on holiday, she didn't understand how to refresh the page.

L14MNP
22-04-10, 11:07 AM
^ 7 or 4 seconds depending. [hii5]

[EDIT] Gotta agree Mowgli. Asking a noob to bid only ends in tears. They forget the decimal point etc. lol

Pete
22-04-10, 11:25 AM
eBay fail. lol

Wait 'til the death and then drop your max bid! Don't push the price up for no reason. [over used[Simples.[/over used]

I always win lol. Email the seller and say 'Hi mate, WHEN I win this can I arrange a courier etc' :thumb:

i dont check my ebay enough to leave it until the last minute etc, i was bidding on some cally leathers, ended at 7.00am, like fook would i be awake at that time

mowgli
22-04-10, 11:41 AM
[EDIT] Gotta agree Mowgli. Asking a noob to bid only ends in tears. They forget the decimal point etc. lol

no, at 5 mins she went for a cup of tea, came back, saw it was on 5 mins & went to the toilet, came back and it was still on 5mins.....

brainsnova
22-04-10, 11:50 AM
i wait on the confirm bid page until 2 secs :cool: that way theres no time to over bid and have 2 windows open so i can see whats happening :d

mowgli
22-04-10, 12:07 PM
i wait on the confirm bid page until 2 secs :cool: that way theres no time to over bid and have 2 windows open so i can see whats happening :d

you are presuming that we all have rocket speed broadband........ i do & i've had it hiccup at 5 seconds & miss the bid before now.

as for shill linking, they just look for similar bidding patterns,