PDA

View Full Version : what to look for when viewing a nova!

fastcar1cars
21-04-10, 07:25 AM
hi all goin to view a high spec xe nova the weekend! What should i look for?
How can you tell if it has had a plate kit welded in? Anythig else i should look for?
Cheers

Ben
21-04-10, 07:42 AM
Rust, Rot and corrosion!

As for the XE fitment just look to see if the wiring has been done neatly or if the ECU is in a carrier bag under the bonnet lol

If its had a plating kit fitted you will see it, look on the front panel etc where the tie bars join etc.

MattBrown
21-04-10, 08:03 AM
What spec, is a "Hi spec" XE?

Is that a full 220bhp steel engine, on standalone?

Or is it a standard xe with a cone filter?

As for the plating, look at the condition of the welds, are they tidy, are all the bolts the same, sounds stupid, but some people will throw any bolt down any thread.

Rust, Arches, Boot floor, Back pannel seam in boot, inner front tubs and arches, wing bottoms, check bottom of doors is metal not fibreglass like some:)

Also, check for "Ticking" or tapping, and get him to start the engine from cold, not warm it up before you get here.

Aside from that, basic mechanical checks, and get him to take you out in it.

Should go through the gears really easy etc:thumb:

Ben
21-04-10, 08:06 AM
Also, check for "Ticking" or tapping, and get him to start the engine from cold, not warm it up before you get here.

rofl its an xe it WILL tap when first started!

Ernie
21-04-10, 08:49 AM
some dont have the plating kit fitted.My track car never did and it was fine.It was seam welded tho.

GRUNT 16V
21-04-10, 10:40 AM
RUST RUST RUST AND MORE RUST

dj_wudgey
21-04-10, 12:59 PM
rofl its an xe it WILL tap when first started!
I agree mate ive known a few lads with cavys corsa xe's and a nova they have all done it at cold lol

L33 LEG
21-04-10, 01:13 PM
Mine doesnt tap, only thing good about it tbh lol

All of above really, just check everywhere for rust and if the job has been done neatly.

Edd
21-04-10, 01:14 PM
Adding to the above I would be looking to see if it has a decent brake and suspension set up to cope with the XE.

Personally I would stay clear of big block engines in a Nova, handle crap and are more trouble than their worth.

blue_peg_16v
21-04-10, 02:38 PM
obviously never had a proper fettled one then edd

they handle fine with proper suspension (correct rated springs etc) and if looked after a standard xe will be alot more reliable than a tuned small block imo

Edd
21-04-10, 04:28 PM
obviously never had a proper fettled one then edd

they handle fine with proper suspension (correct rated springs etc) and if looked after a standard xe will be alot more reliable than a tuned small block imo
I have actually, big Billies, Courtenay xe springs, 16v brakes plating kit etc.

IMO big block engines take away the feel of a nova, I hated the way it handled round corners, it was fast in a straight line that was the only good thing about it, but it ruined a nice gte.

I have more pleasure driving a 70bhp 1.3 than a big heavy XE.

blue_peg_16v
21-04-10, 04:35 PM
different people have different oppinions personaly i feel they handle well when big blocked and i love the let is so quick and still chuckable in the twistys had a gte and wasnt that impressed tbf but as i say everyone has there own opinion

Ernie
21-04-10, 05:09 PM
mine handled fine and agree with what Blue peg said.Spud will vouch for mine going well as does Dars.

Edd
21-04-10, 05:16 PM
I'm not disputing that they go well or that they're not good to drive, IMO it changes a Nova too much and feels ruined.

Each to there own and all that, but for me that's not what a nova is all about.

Ernie
21-04-10, 05:19 PM
mine felt fine and still felt like a nova (rattled squeaked) apart from it was alot quicker and more reliable than the old 8v rubbish.
As you said each to there own.

Andy
21-04-10, 06:00 PM
I have actually, big Billies, Courtenay xe springs, 16v brakes plating kit etc.

IMO big block engines take away the feel of a nova, I hated the way it handled round corners, it was fast in a straight line that was the only good thing about it, but it ruined a nice gte.

I have more pleasure driving a 70bhp 1.3 than a big heavy XE.
That says it all lol:roll:

Andy
21-04-10, 06:01 PM
mine handled fine and agree with what Blue peg said.Spud will vouch for mine going well as does Dars.
I will also and i never went in it,i just remember Spud shaking after he got out that night lol

fastcar1cars
21-04-10, 08:22 PM
Nice one people! Yeah know all about rust! Its meant to have had a propper job done on it spax, poly bushes, strengthing kit, 2.0 brakes and servo ect!
Any more info?

blue_peg_16v
21-04-10, 08:37 PM
spuds been in my loon too and laughed like a girl, its still feels totaly like a now funny positiond steering wheel built to cack tolerances ratels and vibrates to bits, owned 18 of the buggers and 16 were boaring 2 were fun and they were big block, shame im on the look out for number 19 lol

Ben
21-04-10, 09:21 PM
Nice one people! Yeah know all about rust! Its meant to have had a propper job done on it spax, poly bushes, strengthing kit, 2.0 brakes and servo ect!
Any more info?

As people have said really just look for how things are finished, if it looks like someone has just slung it in then they probably have.

See if the chassis leg has been cut and boxed or welted with a mallet.

Ernie
22-04-10, 09:07 AM
I will also and i never went in it,i just remember Spud shaking after he got out that night lol

It was a laugh till the rad split lol

vaughanmc
22-04-10, 09:13 AM
I'm not disputing that they go well or that they're not good to drive, IMO it changes a Nova too much and feels ruined.

Each to there own and all that, but for me that's not what a nova is all about.

I always say/think - That if Vauxhall wanted to put a 2.0 16v/Turbo into a Nova...They would have

L33 LEG
22-04-10, 10:15 AM
I always say/think - That if Vauxhall wanted to put a 2.0 16v/Turbo into a Nova...They would have

If they did that then there would of been no need for the astra gsi. It's about money sadly, not how quick they can make a car. Saying that though, imagine if they did a nova let, imagine all the other companies competing, would be ace lol

vaughanmc
22-04-10, 10:16 AM
I just think there must be other reasons as to why they didn't make a 2.0 16v/Turbo Nova...Not just money

Not wanting to start a debate but...8v all the way :thumb:

blue_peg_16v
22-04-10, 11:59 AM
the hot hatch market was also dead at the time ofthe nova due to insurance and thefts so a uber hot one wouldnt have sold, dont forget the mk3 astra only came as an xe but in south africa there was a let version at the time in the uk there wasnt a market for a big power hatch

Jack
22-04-10, 01:18 PM
The Nova was a small car, so a factory 2.0 wouldn't have been an option (in the same way a mk2 Astra didn't have a 3.0 V6).
The Nova was a shopping trolley with a few "warm" variants, so a full on quick version wasn't needed.
It would have taken sales away from larger cars like the astra and calibra
There was no other competition in that range, most other small cars were 1.8 and under, and around the 100-120bhp mark which the GTE/GSi catered for.
It would have required more cost and uprated parts, leading to an increased cost on the forecourt
And don't forget, it doesn't really fit. Chassis leg needs bodging, and for a LET... well there's no real room for a cooler without cutting things around.

That good enough? lol

brainsnova
22-04-10, 01:40 PM
im sure gm knew with some light mods a 1.3sr would keep up with a 205 1.6gti and also accelerate faster than the cav gsi or it was just my driving lol

Stuart
22-04-10, 02:21 PM
lol @ spax.. never mind. club discount on GAZ (inc gold) :d

As Ben(der) said, if it looks good then it probably is, if it looks gash like Lee has done it then walk off.

This thread isnt really a big/small debate, feck off elsewhere for that.

imho the plating kit isnt vital unless going into the air a lot, but if thats what you want then so be it.

Andy
22-04-10, 03:07 PM
im sure gm knew with some light mods a 1.3sr would keep up with a 205 1.6gti and also accelerate faster than the cav gsi or it was just my dreaming lol
edited for truth lol