PDA

View Full Version : Howling noise

GTE TURBZ
20-04-10, 09:03 PM
Hi people, quick question, I have a gte with the standard engine and box. Im getting this annoying howling sound like when the wheel bearings are gone. I have since them changed them all. Noise remains, the local garage said it's the gear box thus will need overhauling.

Ideally I would like to show someone the car to diagnoise it properly prefably someone in the london area. If not then if someone could put me in the right direction.:thumb:

P.s I dont want to fork out sh*t loads for a new/recon'd box.

Any help would be appreciated in advance.

Thank you

Danny s-p
20-04-10, 09:23 PM
buy a second-hand box foe cheep and put it in and try it will be cheaper than a over hall

chrisnieldgte
21-04-10, 08:24 PM
does the noise calm when you dip the clutch? if it does... its the box. bang a 2nd hand one in it

GTE TURBZ
22-04-10, 12:29 PM
No the noise is constant,whether its in gear/ neutral and rolling with the clutch in. I'm suspecting it may be one of the rear wheel bearing again, but only changed them around 8k miles ago over 4 years. Car gets used 6 mnths at a time, didnt think it could be that.

vaughanmc
22-04-10, 12:39 PM
I had some back wheel bearings fitted to my car around May/June 2009 and they were completely shot by September/October 2009 lol

So could well be wheel-bearings mate, be worth a look...Have a double check to make sure there tight and spin both wheels to see if any of them are noisey :)

blue_peg_16v
22-04-10, 12:43 PM
probably the bearings if its been stood for long periods

craig green
22-04-10, 12:48 PM
I had some back wheel bearings fitted to my car around May/June 2009 and they were completely shot by September/October 2009 lol

So could well be wheel-bearings mate, be worth a look...Have a double check to make sure there tight and spin both wheels to see if any of them are noisey :)

Over-torqued mate unless they were ebay/chinese pretend bearings.

vaughanmc
22-04-10, 12:50 PM
I've no idea mate...Replaced now and all seems to be well :)

GTE TURBZ
22-04-10, 02:54 PM
Had it up on a ramp yesterday, guy spun all four wheels, could not hear anything, when on the road it begins to get quite noisy in the cabin at 30 mph.