PDA

View Full Version : removing the ignition barrel (permanently)

Ben (lurk75)
24-04-03, 03:57 PM
I know how to get it off and am going to take it off and fit a starter button, anybody had any problems with these?

i will be completely moving all the ignition wires from around the column to a secret location.

Anybody done this got any tips or advice really?

mikeoxford
24-04-03, 04:10 PM
Anybody done this got any tips or advice really?

if using a push button switch, ideally to reduce load on the switch and chances burning it out you would want to use a relay IMO

apart from that

go for it!

im fitting a unique kill switch idea to my motor, leaving the ignition barrel there, purely cos i cannae be arsed with the fuss!

id also fit a keyswitch type thing somewhere, so its not just physical on off switches you push or set to start your car, you want a way of locking it off completely without a key IMO

Ben (lurk75)
24-04-03, 05:47 PM
Yes i got a few ideas.

At the end of the day everyone says "what about the steering lock?" with the amount of security i have if they get past all that the steering lock is the least of there worries!

am trying to delock a rear grab strip as well so wont have any locks at all on the car!

mikeoxford
24-04-03, 06:07 PM
am trying to delock a rear grab strip as well so wont have any locks at all on the car!

makes the back look a lot cleaner.

have a look at my car in the features..........

what you may want to do is what i id and hot glue gun some meshe in the hole, THEN use filler in it.

this avoids you slamming the boot shut, and having an ice cube tray effect of a block of filler in your hand :lol:

Ben (lurk75)
24-04-03, 06:15 PM
brother is a plastic fabricator will get him to weld a plate of poly prop in there and then smooth it over. Wanted it for 2 years but been waiting for someone to sell one! lol im such a lazy barsteward!

locky
24-04-03, 08:23 PM
Is there a way u can flick a switch 2 turn the ignition on, then push another button 2 start?????
Instead of buying a push start kit!!!!!
seems possible!

Stuart
24-04-03, 10:15 PM
i did mine for the princely sum of ?1.00 lol

i snapped the key in the ign barrel and rather than pay ?40 odd quid for anotehr key to the car i decided to put two switches in place

ones a ign switch (stays in place once switched)
the other is the starter (momentary contact)

theya re both mini toggle switches

had them on 9 months and theyve not burnt out, with everything on seveal times. the only thing that really draws a proper current is the fan motor and thats not a lot lol

locky
25-04-03, 05:22 PM
Cheers Cambridge, i was thinkin of that ! thanx 4 confimatin!