PDA

View Full Version : cam problems

wij 264
24-04-03, 08:08 AM
HELLO THERE.

Ive got a nova gte with full piper exhaust and k+n and ive just bought a piper full road cam. Im going to be rebuilding the engine using a ported and polished head. The help im after is, will it be worth putting this cam in my car or not? What sort of power gains should i be looking to get if i do fit the cam and head?

cheers

Nova-Boy
24-04-03, 08:39 AM
Depending on the shape, lift and duration of the cam will reflect in the engines performance. It may be rough at the bottom end of the rev range but rev like crazy up top. It depends what you want the car for. You may find it difficult to drive slowly round town with a race cam but a fast road cam should not be as bad.

mikeoxford
24-04-03, 04:18 PM
a cam shaft is usually the last thing u buy, u tune and modify our engine, and then buy the cam to suit...........

wij 264
24-04-03, 04:55 PM
u

wij 264
24-04-03, 04:57 PM
Ive got a full exhaust system including manifold and k+n on my car and ive got a ported polished head and cam to go on.

mikeoxford
24-04-03, 06:10 PM
Ive got a full exhaust system including manifold and k+n on my car and ive got a ported polished head and cam to go on.

.......but does the cam suit your mods?

techie
24-04-03, 09:55 PM
Im rebuilding my speare E16SE engine at the moment spec to inculde...

E16SE 4 cyl 1.6 injection Nova GSi engine.

Gas flowed and ported cylinder head head.
Waisted valves with five angle seats and trimmed bronze valve guides.
Piper fast road spec camshaft
Lightened and balanced crank, rods, flywheel and uprated clutch.
Baffled sump
High pressure oil pump
Uprated big end and main bearing bolts.
FSE Valve
C20XE injectors (Not sure if required yet, when run in will rolling road to find out).
K+N induction kit
Four branch manifold and performance exhaust system.

The cam should work well with the mods, its all a bit trial and error to be honest based on various books i've read.

Be good run finding out though.

Stuart
24-04-03, 10:06 PM
hmm 5 angle valve seats, bit overkill isnt it??!!! lol

most proper head modifiers are happy with 3 angled ones

techie
24-04-03, 10:16 PM
It might be a bit of overkill but our machine shop said they would do it for no extra charge so it cant hurt eh? All in the quest for improved airflow, hence trimming down the guides so they dont get in the airstream.

mikeoxford
24-04-03, 11:29 PM
sounds well rapid techie

wij 264
25-04-03, 10:28 AM
The engine is being rebuilt begining of june then its going down the strip at santa pod at the motorworld kroozin show as long as its run in so ill see how it goes then.