PDA

View Full Version : Manifolds off xe?

auzzy-b
18-04-10, 06:49 PM
Are they tricky to remove whilst in the car? i have fitted my xe and noticed a small leak in the corner of the sump:roll: so i nipped it up and it cracked!! so i need to wip the sump off to replace it..
Also how the frik do you fit the little spring in the front panel (for the bonnet catch) i was fiddling with it for ages but coudlnt get it in, probably because i didnt want to scratch the paint worklol

Adam
18-04-10, 08:44 PM
Get the front end up high on axle stands and then manifold is then easy to remove from under the car.

Remove the rad fan if youve got the standard one fitted before trying get the manifold off

Riggy
18-04-10, 08:53 PM
Lol or just do what I have done for over 2 years and just keep putting oil in haha , my sump has been cracked and all the oil covers the floor of my car :) rust proofing haha

General Baxter
18-04-10, 09:06 PM
sounds like mine lol

auzzy-b
18-04-10, 10:55 PM
Lol or just do what I have done for over 2 years and just keep putting oil in haha , my sump has been cracked and all the oil covers the floor of my car :) rust proofing haha
lol lol

blue_peg_16v
18-04-10, 11:00 PM

lol ive done that before with the old xe

auzzy-b
18-04-10, 11:00 PM
so its not to hard then! good:) i thought i mite struggle since the gap between the manifold & rad isnt very big

General Baxter
18-04-10, 11:01 PM
aslong as theres enough clearance the depth of the studs, just measure the stud length, then measure the gap between the rad and the manifold,

mines 6mm clearance, so i can just get it off lol

Adam
18-04-10, 11:02 PM
Thats a point actually. When i built my engine i swapped all the studs to normal M8 bolts to make the job easier.

General Baxter
18-04-10, 11:03 PM
so NO clearance issues at all for adam then :p

auzzy-b
18-04-10, 11:06 PM
Arrr sh** why didnt i think of that!! lol Good thinking

Adam
18-04-10, 11:09 PM
so NO clearance issues at all for adam then :p
Just a fcuker trying get it back on as you need about 6hands lol

auzzy-b
18-04-10, 11:14 PM
Is there no way off removing it without taking the manifold off? maybye it would slide out once i undo all the bolts

Lee H
19-04-10, 07:15 AM
No chance of it sliding out as the deep part of the sump is right next to the gearbox housing so would have to tilt loads to get past. Also the pickup pipe is deep in the sump so would stop it sliding anyway.

In my experience some xe's sit different to others. My manifold came out fine with the rad fan off but on a mates we had to lift the rad out of the rubbers and move it forwards a bit to get enough room.

craig green
19-04-10, 10:17 AM
Manifold needs to come off IMO. I removed the sump from my Astra GTE & theres now way you can do it with the manifld in situ. Its not hard FFS. Peeling the sump off the block is where the fun begins........