PDA

View Full Version : Nova with A/C Air conditioning

DW-Nova
18-04-10, 12:12 AM
Hello all, i'm jut curious to as if any Novas were ever fitted with A/C ? I'm pretty sure that they wernt but anyone know any better ? Not exactly needed here in the UK i know but definetley needed in the middle of summer is Spain ! If not has anybody ever installed or tried to install A/C into a Nova ?

Bubba
18-04-10, 12:15 AM
open the middle vent up :P

blue_peg_16v
18-04-10, 12:22 AM
novas wernt but you could fit a corsa ac system or a retro fit aftermarket one

DW-Nova
18-04-10, 12:22 AM
Yeh dont think it it'd work too well on a hot day whilst stuck in traffic, like i say i know it's not a issue over here really but for example virtually all JDM cars from 1985ish onwards are fitted with A/C so was just wandering if A/C was ever fitted to the Nova (or Corsa A as they call them) for any foreign markets ?

blue_peg_16v
18-04-10, 12:25 AM
never fitted the spanish no the score

mans air con = window down at at least 90mph lol

burgo
18-04-10, 01:19 AM
im sure A/C was an option in spain, hence why you can get pollen filters aswell.

craig green
18-04-10, 02:17 AM
Nah dont think it was, seriously there isnt room for it unless you have rads & fans hanging outside the bumpers.

I started a thread on thsi very topic years ago (2004 maybe). details are in there.

djbrowney
18-04-10, 09:39 AM
dont you have a linky to the thread craig becuase i cant find it ???

i was seriously considering this !

brucer
18-04-10, 09:48 AM
nova teks considering doing this, maybe have a word with him as he may already figured some of it out. i did find a agila/wagon r condenser to be the smallest about that may fit with a nova.

DW-Nova
18-04-10, 12:51 PM
Would love to have A/C in the nova ! It would certainly be do able, has anyone sucsesfully fitted it ?

MattBrown
18-04-10, 12:56 PM
im sure A/C was an option in spain, hence why you can get pollen filters aswell.

Correct, A/C was an option on the corsa "a"

Would be hard to find probably, but not impossible, speak to mayhem and duik:thumb:

DW-Nova
18-04-10, 10:33 PM
So A/C was definetley a option on the Corsa A ? Would be sweet to have this hey ! Bit of a long shot i know but anyone got a picture of one with A/C ????

nova_saloon
18-04-10, 11:31 PM
would be kind of funny to have air con in a nova i must admit, like to see it.

craig green
18-04-10, 11:34 PM
Correct, A/C was an option on the corsa "a"

Would be hard to find probably, but not impossible, speak to mayhem and duik:thumb:

I'd love to be proved wrong, but loose extra wiring or switches etc have never been mentioned before to my knowledge. Maybe it is on Duicks site? I've never really spent any time on it tbh.

MattBrown
18-04-10, 11:43 PM
I'd love to be proved wrong, but loose extra wiring or switches etc have never been mentioned before to my knowledge. Maybe it is on Duicks site? I've never really spent any time on it tbh.

Im sure its been covered on here, same as the heated seats thingslol

craig green
18-04-10, 11:52 PM
Im sure its been covered on here, same as the heated seats thingslol

Thats what I was getting at, I do know all about heated seats etc. :confused: Been looking on corsa-A.com. Nothing so far.

burgo
19-04-10, 12:36 AM
unless its a rumour that started because of the fact you could get pollen filters which are usually associated with A/C

Jon_nova1
19-04-10, 08:36 AM
Surely if you could get it as an option in the corsa A the wiring would be put there from factory so it would be found in the nova??

bazil
19-04-10, 08:47 AM
I would be interested aswell but somethings don't work out the way you want them too, I've got the heated seat elements but they don't fit gsi seats :( and an aircon system from a more modern car would be better in a nova as it would be a far more refined system than one from the early nintiez IMO.

sport
19-04-10, 09:22 AM
Im sure there was an option in some hot countrys and im sure ive read about it on here, the mk1 astra had it as an option in Greece iirc.

burgo
19-04-10, 10:32 AM
of course the wiring might not be there if its an option. there were different stereo harnesses and electric windows and central locking wee in there own contained loom thats not fitted to all novas. even things like the twin tone horn wiring isn't on all novas. the fact the wiring isnt there for it doesnt mean it wasnt an option imo

craig green
19-04-10, 11:12 AM
of course the wiring might not be there if its an option. there were different stereo harnesses and electric windows and central locking wee in there own contained loom thats not fitted to all novas. even things like the twin tone horn wiring isn't on all novas. the fact the wiring isnt there for it doesnt mean it wasnt an option imo

fair enough, but have you ever seen a switch panel for it?

I would imagine sourcing the parts from various cars would be the best option, getting the parts small enough. ie parts from Nissan Micras, Corsa B or Ford KA's etc.

burgo
19-04-10, 11:13 AM
fair enough, but have you ever seen a switch panel for it?

I would imagine sourcing the parts from various cars would be the best option, getting the parts small enough. ie parts from Nissan Micras, Corsa B or Ford KA's etc.nope but a switch could go anywhere lol. same argument as with the electric windows really

craig green
19-04-10, 11:20 AM
I found my old thread anyway.

No real info in there, but again the spanish option is mentioned.

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60320

dj_wudgey
19-04-10, 11:22 AM
f*ck air con weighs two much just open the window ha ha!

MK999
19-04-10, 11:57 AM
I actually find the standard nova blowers pulling air in from the scuttle panel to be cold enough even on the hottest days, its usually better than opening the windows even lol

dj_wudgey
19-04-10, 01:29 PM
^ not in my nova i like the window down so a litle bias lol

duick
19-04-10, 01:34 PM
There is indeed nothing about the A/C on my site

A/C was a dealer installed option, means not installed by factory. And therefor there is nothing foreseen in the wiring. Only available with the 1.3 and 1.6 engine.
A colleague had an MK2 GSi, it was fitted with the A/C

Pollen filters were available without the A/C, they could be fitted in any Corsa A /Nova

Plug
19-04-10, 01:38 PM
yea i remember someone on here was selling pollen filters

Southie
19-04-10, 01:39 PM
yea i remember someone on here was selling pollen filters

It was AW06 who was selling the filter iirc.

Edd
19-04-10, 01:51 PM
my 1300 wont have that much bhp to start with so fook sapping loads off with a/c lol

mowgli
19-04-10, 02:06 PM
aircon doesn't zap that much power.... certainly not a modern system anyway, i'm thinking that corsa, astra or even daewoo would make a good donor, the matrix to fit on the heater would be the challenge really.

AlexW
19-04-10, 02:17 PM
It was AW06 who was selling the filter iirc.

Was indeed, They are now in Portugal.

AC from a corsa would be a pain i think. Depends how much you use!

The rad is massive, Pipes are mostly solid so might be a bit hard to get them to fit, and the heater matrix/box thing is massive in a aircon corsa.
Sure you could use some parts, but id bet there is better setups out there.

Edit: The A/C as mythbusters proved is more MPG efficient over 40mph iirc, Under that open the windows.

blue_peg_16v
19-04-10, 02:18 PM
universal kits available here

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/heatac-95-c.asp

not cheap though

mowgli
19-04-10, 02:23 PM
Edit: The A/C as mythbusters proved is more MPG efficient over 40mph iirc, Under that open the windows.

that was the least scientific test ever...........they filled the 2 test cars up, then found out that running them round an oval might kill the tyres, so pumped the tanks out & then stuck a few gallons in each tank, then 2 different drivers drove round till the first one stopped.......it was innacurate on so many levels.

on an old car, you can have the window down & it is comfortable to drive, on a new car, the window/door frame shape makes it noisy as hell if the window is down

blue_peg_16v
19-04-10, 02:37 PM
i saw that too the cars wernt even new so ware and tear and general mainenance would affect the result a fairer way would of been put a set amount of fuel in 1 vehicle see how far it when with ac and then using the same vehicle and driver do the window down would still be inacurate as would be impossible to drive identicaly and also weather changes would affect results so if the wind was slightly higher results would be affected there isnt realy away of testing that would give a difinative answer

AlexW
19-04-10, 06:49 PM
IIRC there was a massive difference though, So even tho its madly incorrect, it must mean something, as no way would it be that much different.

blue_peg_16v
19-04-10, 06:53 PM
depends on the cars tbf if there early 90s the ac systems were alot hungryer than todays system technology moves so fast

dj_wudgey
19-04-10, 06:54 PM
im with edd takes power and would weigh to much aswel especialy for me who taken stuff out to make it lighter lol

mowgli
19-04-10, 07:06 PM
IIRC there was a massive difference though, So even tho its madly incorrect, it must mean something, as no way would it be that much different.

they didn't even drain the tanks to start off, they stuck a pipe down the necks & pumped......... it was so inaccurate & the suv's were doing 10mpg, so it was a huge amount more mpg.......

if they'd used a small car on the highway, it would have been more scientific

DW-Nova
19-04-10, 07:28 PM
So then A/C was definetley an option that was fitted by each individual dealer after the cars arrived, i thought that it must have been an option for certain markets as if you've ever been anywhere that gets properley hot you'll realise that opening the window makes things worse !!! Like i said A/C has been kinda standard fitment on all jdm cars from 1985 ish onwards because trust me you NEED it when it gets to 40 degrees and your sat in a traffic jam, definetley going to incorporate A/C into mine when the time comes.

dj_wudgey
20-04-10, 04:55 PM
f*ck that it does not get hot enough here to need air con windows down ftw!

L14MNP
20-04-10, 04:57 PM
Move the A/C rad forward so it looks like a FMIC - not that I ever done that you understand. :roll: lol

mowgli
20-04-10, 04:59 PM
Move the A/C rad forward so it looks like a FMIC - not that I ever done that you understand. :roll: lol

i hope you got pics.........lol

dj_wudgey
20-04-10, 05:08 PM
i was thinking that lol ^

L14MNP
20-04-10, 05:08 PM
Yeah I do have on an old HDD somewhere. It looked fine TBH. Let people make their own assumptions I say. It was just for my air con. I stopped short of spaying Forge onto it. lol