PDA

View Full Version : 2 ways to go on my nova, opinions please...

Curtoise
17-04-10, 10:11 PM
right i have to make a decision with what to do with my new mk1
i have 2 options,
its a 1l merit.

option 1:
keep it standard in every form, except suspension and wheels, so this includes same 1l engine clocks, interior ect.

option 2:
do what i want with it, get a gte interior, gte clocks, lower it, wheels,
different engine?

dont know which way to go atm,
might be a shame to change it as its only done 60k:thumb:

Sloth
17-04-10, 10:15 PM
doooble postage....

Sloth
17-04-10, 10:15 PM
do what ya want. :d

Curtoise
17-04-10, 10:29 PM
yh but i kinda want both

novaguy08
17-04-10, 10:32 PM
Why not mix the two?

Have yourself a better engine, suspension wheels but keep the rest standard?

Make yourself a sleeper.

Jack
17-04-10, 10:35 PM
Can you afford quality performance and all the associated costs that go with it (i.e. insurance)?

Do things like lowering etc first, then look at engine and interior changes.

If it were me... I'd upgrade stuff. I honestly don't see the point in keeping a poverty spec Nova as it left the factory - it was crap back then, its still crap now. Only difference is now its old and crap lol

Curtoise
17-04-10, 10:54 PM
lmfao yeh, ile improve it, do the needed first, slam it, then wheels then save for stuff :)

Angus Closier
17-04-10, 11:49 PM
Do what you can when you can (afford it) As said 1.0l pov spec novas allways have been crap and allways will be! Get the things sorted like suspension wheels etc then move onto an engine conversion when you can afford the insurance.

muzzy
18-04-10, 12:29 AM
I think your car would look very good as it does now on the outside but lowered and on different wheels. Change the interior for some SR or GTE seats and then when you can maybe change the engine.

blue_peg_16v
18-04-10, 12:37 AM
tbf novas evolve i bought my loon with the intention of keeping it stsndsrd after my xe hatch was nicked and look how that turned out its now hard to remember what is standard

Curtoise
18-04-10, 12:41 AM
the rich, thats one of the reasons i wanna keep it standard, as in another 5-10 years, people will be like "wow, so thats what they look like standard"

boyle_46
18-04-10, 12:42 AM
i would concentrate on making it mechanicly sound and sort any issues with the body if there where any , before i started to buy lowering kits and wheels , but its up to you buddy at the end of the day its your car .

Curtoise
18-04-10, 12:45 AM
yeh boyle, but really i cant drive it like that lol, i get sea sick when in it,
it is mechanically sounds atm, im going to do a oil change asap tho, but then lower wheels, wing sort out bubbles done

altho im stumped how to sort out the rust bublles on arches ect, because how can u get a good paint match to 23 year old paint!

blue_peg_16v
18-04-10, 01:04 AM
the rich, thats one of the reasons i wanna keep it standard, as in another 5-10 years, people will be like "wow, so thats what they look like standard"

ybf i know what a standard nova looks like and drives like and it never excited me hence the loon and im still not happy cant wait to strip it down

blue_peg_16v
18-04-10, 01:05 AM
yeh boyle, but really i cant drive it like that lol, i get sea sick when in it,
it is mechanically sounds atm, im going to do a oil change asap tho, but then lower wheels, wing sort out bubbles done

altho im stumped how to sort out the rust bublles on arches ect, because how can u get a good paint match to 23 year old paint!

do what you want to it but keep the standard parts so if in the future you want to put it back you can

Curtoise
18-04-10, 01:10 AM
do what you want to it but keep the standard parts so if in the future you want to put it back you can

now thats a plan,

also doing an engine change on a engine thats just done 60k seems a bit wrong

boyle_46
18-04-10, 01:58 AM

flat and mop existing paint should come up fine , use some g3 be sure to keep the surface wet thow i find a empty spray bottle like a window cleaner for instance handy , bubbles arnt too hard to sort out just get on top ot them now while its not too bad , iirc you got your other car painted how did you find getting a colour match with the flame red ?

MK999
18-04-10, 02:05 AM
now thats a plan,

Tell that to my 45k 1.2i, if you've got a pepsi can on your desk you can probably tell it yourself :thumb:

brainsnova
18-04-10, 02:07 AM
i would sr/ gte it ftw and drop a 1.3 on bike carbs :cool:

craig green
18-04-10, 02:26 AM
modify the nutts off it with GM parts = done thing.

bmw156
18-04-10, 08:59 AM
mk2 dash :D.
good times :D

Curtoise
18-04-10, 09:32 AM
i would sr/ gte it ftw and drop a 1.3 on bike carbs :cool:

yeh thats the dream,

i ended up respraying the hole thing because i couldnt get a good match....

blue_peg_16v
18-04-10, 12:09 PM
now thats a plan,

mine had only done 36k when i binned it and if its only done 60k its not neccicarily a good sign, low milage cars will have only done small journey to the shops and back so the engine spends alot more time cold which is when most wear occurs

my dads just had to have a micra engine fully rebuilt and that was 1 lady owner 45k 03 car ooops

mowgli
18-04-10, 12:14 PM
curtoise, don't lower it too much, and don't fit bigger than 165 tyres on the std rims, and you will have a fun car that looks fairly std, and save up for a better engine & box. then think about 256 brakes & bigger tyres..

Curtoise
18-04-10, 01:37 PM
yeh i better start a project thread me thinks, tbh im thinking of lowering it 80mm or 60mm and just leaving the steels on with the 5 spoke trims :)

what handles better
coilovers
or
shocks and springs set up?

mowgli
18-04-10, 02:23 PM
with a roadgoing 1.0, just lower it by about 30mm maybe 60 at most, don't bother with coilovers just yet, the 1.0 just won't enter the performance zone where they are needed.

seriously, i had a 1400 on 165/70r13 tyres & stock 1.2 suspension, & no ARB's and it was a very capable car, only with age & money did i stick bigger tyres & bigger engines onto my nova, but i have often wondered what it would be like with the above setup again, just for fun........

Curtoise
18-04-10, 02:24 PM
proberly terrible, i was thinking coilovers becuase then i can just keep them as i move up

mowgli
18-04-10, 02:33 PM
cars that move about are ace, i keep banging on against people who overtyre their car & it goes slower, so they stiffen up the suspension and it is now like a skateboard, but no quicker.

blue_peg_16v
18-04-10, 03:11 PM
decent springs and shocks will be better than cheap coilovers