PDA

View Full Version : Cam Question?

techie
23-04-03, 09:56 PM
Can anybody help?

I recently picked up a second hand Piper Cam that was fitted to a friends Nova GSi. Its only done 200 and in good condition but I have a small problem.

It seems that the drive for the distributor is a little different. The standard cam has an offset peg and a flat mounting face. The Piper cam has the same arrangement but is also slotted accross in a horizontal direction through the centre line.

The result is the original distributor doesnt sit in fully and therefore wont seal.

Anybody come across this before?

Thanks

Ross

ollster
23-04-03, 10:00 PM
right, firstly are you sure that ure mates car didnt run a dis pack, hence no need for a distributor drive?

Also my piper 270 cam had this slot in but also had the drilled hole for the peg to engage into and it fitted perfectly. Hope this helps

mikeoxford
23-04-03, 10:02 PM
yes

no problem

you see the centre pin of the dizzy?

well get a piece of clotch and prick it with a sharp object, then put the cloth over then end of the dizzy, with the pin poking through the middle.

then take an angle grinder to the pin to shorten it, i shortened mine down to the little dark strip in the rod, dont know why it is there. if the dark strip comes out dont worry, but trim your shaft down to that length. (about 4 or 5 mm)

thats what i done and its fine

the cloth is a preventative measure to stop ANY iron filings, because oil travels through these regions and you dont want it getting in your engine.

techie
23-04-03, 10:18 PM
Brilliant.

I knew my Novaload buddies wouldnt let me down :)

Beers for you then Mike!

mikeoxford
23-04-03, 10:20 PM
im glad i can say i been there done that and give 100% advice that i know is correct :lol:

and DONT FORGET TO USE NEW CAM FOLLOWERS

techie
23-04-03, 10:25 PM
New standard ones OK Mike or do I need to get special ones?

Not 100% sure on spec of cam. Labeled fast road, shouldnt imagine its to lairy, 265-270 degrees possibly?

mikeoxford
23-04-03, 10:28 PM
nope nowt special, just your run of the mill followers.

dont even have to use GM parts, go your local cheapy motor factors if you really tight on budget.

i used GM ones, but whatever you do make sure there new and dowse them in oil before hand so there not dry the first time the cam goes round.

id oil the shaft through the rocker cover also just as a precaution before the first start up.

techie
23-04-03, 10:35 PM
Guess you'd change the followers as the cam runs on the and they would be worn to the old cam, sort of makes common sense really. Probably why I didnt think of it. :lol:

Ive cleaned all the lifters out and compressed the oil out as normal they seem to be fine so ill re-use them.

Cheers matey.

mikeoxford
23-04-03, 10:38 PM
just looked at your album over on pbase

wanna sell me your red magnecors!?

techie
23-04-03, 10:40 PM
They are Champion leads.

Theyare in good nick I was going to re-use them, just one of the ends come off so it need clamping back on.

mikeoxford
23-04-03, 10:47 PM
i need new leads :cry: as my fan just went through number 3 HT lead by the looks of things :evil:

any cheap red leads for sale?

magnecor or similar? any know of any?

:roll:

got my car tax, insurance, new leads to buy, needs petrol, and i need a bit of this and that doing and my bloody insurance policy aint paid out yet :x

Nova-Boy
24-04-03, 08:57 AM
I got a full set of champion performance in RED free from the scrappy the other day when i got my brake servo rubber gromit! :lol:

techie
24-04-03, 10:12 PM
F.A.O Mike Oxford.

Got busy with the bench grinder today...

http://mig.lathwood.co.uk/upload/r/resized.jpg

Fits like a dream now...sweet

Cheers mate.

mikeoxford
24-04-03, 11:34 PM
F.A.O Mike Oxford.

Got busy with the bench grinder today...

Fits like a dream now...sweet

Cheers mate.

good mannnnnnn :lol: 8)

MADE SURE YOU GET ALL THE SWARF OUT?

techie
25-04-03, 06:13 PM
Yeah Mike no problems.

Used a cloth like you said then blew it out with a compressed airline.

Sorted.

mikeoxford
25-04-03, 11:20 PM
Yeah Mike no problems.

Used a cloth like you said then blew it out with a compressed airline.

Sorted.

vr0000000000000000000m