PDA

View Full Version : 20xe fuel pump problem ...

comptoncj
17-04-10, 09:51 AM
Since ive had it running its developed a strange problem. It still overfuels slightly but no where near as bad as it was but if I run it for about 10 mins and leave it idling the fuel pump will start to sound as if its dragging air up and the engine will start to splutter and the cut out. If I leave it for a couple of minutes and start it up it will be fine for another 10 mins or so and then the same thing will happen. any ideas lol

Will F
17-04-10, 10:31 AM
For whatever reason the fuel doesnt sound like its being sucked through the pump - they sound awful when they run dry...

OR the pump is fecked and not liking getting warm...?

Do you have a spare?

comptoncj
17-04-10, 11:47 AM
Yeah it sounds horrible lol I should be able to source a spare fairly easily though :) the car was sat for nearly 12 months before i put the engine in so maybe the pump didnt like that lol.

djbrowney
17-04-10, 01:31 PM
and it had water in the tank, bin the pump and get a new on lol

comptoncj
17-04-10, 01:33 PM
Im going to get a new one, it didnt have water in it lol had £20 worth of stale petrol in it lol at least its not overfuelling badly any more lol i had to drain the oil out of it last week it had about 2 ltrs of petrol in the sump lol

Novaboyleon
18-04-10, 11:21 AM
perished hose inbetween the fuel pump and tank? happened on my old cavalier gsi, was sucking in air very slightly and sometimes caused the car to cut out, bled the fuel rail every time and it was fine for another 10 mins, changed the bit of fuel pipe from tank to the pump and was good as new.

comptoncj
19-04-10, 08:00 PM
hmmm its possible because i had the fuel filter pipes off to try and drain the stale petrol out of the tank. Il look at that tomorrow.