PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 H reg nova flair

Trendall
16-04-10, 09:10 PM
i havnt seen this car yet as im picking it up tomorrow morning. but is this car multipoint injection or single point. also has it got the big round filter on top or down the side? beside's changing the fuel/air mixture what would be the best way to increase power my GF's dad has tech 2 and would possibly remap it for me but would it make muce if any difference on performance without any mod's. or what is the cheapest thing i could do to increase performance regardless of how much power/torque i get aslong as its the cheapest. (excluding air filter and exhaust have one already on its way)

John
16-04-10, 09:16 PM
It may possibly be carb fed fella! If it's injection it'll be single point. The easiest way to increase power is to ditch it for something bigger if you can afford. However there's a good guide in articles on how to tune your spi.
Lastly tech2 isn't compatable with a nova, it's tech1 only. there's no way of remapping with either machine.

Jon_nova1
16-04-10, 09:18 PM
I think it'll be a carb!

muzzy
16-04-10, 09:19 PM
I think it'll be a carb!

Me too.

Rather than trying to find extra power I would just service the engine and look after it, even though you can tune the 1200 you would be better just looking after it until such times when you can change the engine completely to something else.

Dan Stanley
16-04-10, 09:20 PM
hey dude
i reckon that'll be a single point injection lump and will have the round flat type airbox on top of thethrottle body. i know you said you already had afilter for it, but in my opinion the best thing to do is to swap the round airbox it currently has for the version of an early 1.2 corsa. this would let you run a cheap induction kit type filter down the side of the engine bay. My bro had a 1.4 spi nova and after doing the usual filter/zorst mods, he put a close ratio F13 gearbox from a nova gsi on it. This made it much quicker as it always seemed to keep the car in its 'powerband'. Apart from that mate, get some upgraded suspension and some 2.0ltr astra/cav front brakes. That way you will be able to drive it faster round corners and brake later. Hope this helps. :-)

Dan Stanley
16-04-10, 09:23 PM
Actually, chances are it will be carb fed!

lol

Connor
16-04-10, 09:31 PM
My old mk2 on a h reg was carb,
And the BEST performance mod i carried out on it was to adjust the air/fuel ratio along with the ignition timing so it was bang on to manufactures tolerances, made sooo much difference, also as mentioned above a good service makes a noticeable difference

Trendall
16-04-10, 09:32 PM
the induction kit style i was going to do anyway. if its carb i might get twin 45 carbs but if it is spi can i convert it to mpi???

Trendall
16-04-10, 09:33 PM
cheers everyone for the tips ill get a few pics up tomoz of the car. and the engine. ill also get a build story on it from when i get it home to when it is either a stunning show car and wipes the floor with scoob's ;) or when its a little 1.2" cube lol

muzzy
16-04-10, 09:34 PM
There's a 1.2 tuning guide somewhere about on here. Rather than using twin carbs you can use single carbs from other Vauxhall's of similar age. Might be worth searching for the guide and having a read through.

blue_peg_16v
16-04-10, 09:35 PM
will be a carbed engine

and novas cant be re maped if it is spi you can fit a 1.4 injector

also 45s are way to big for a 1.2 40s are all you will need and are much cheaper

Trendall
16-04-10, 09:44 PM
There's a 1.2 tuning guide somewhere about on here. Rather than using twin carbs you can use single carbs from other Vauxhall's of similar age. Might be worth searching for the guide and having a read through.

cheers where abouts in the forums would i be able to find that guide? thanks everyone for the great help.

muzzy
16-04-10, 09:46 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93429

Angus Closier
16-04-10, 11:49 PM
the induction kit style i was going to do anyway. if its carb i might get twin 45 carbs but if it is spi can i convert it to mpi???

Twin 45s will be a bit of an over kill (yes you can jet them right blah blah) but you could just start off with twin 40s.

However for power/money you really need to change the engine for bigger item even if its a 1.4 or 1.6. Id hold your moneys rather than wasting it on a 1.2 and buy a bigger engine...you could spend £300 on tuning it and get no were near the 150bhp of an xe! Its up to you! But as said good suspension and brakes will pay there worth on the country lanes and fast b roads!!!:thumb:

craig green
16-04-10, 11:57 PM
Everything in this thread has been discussed so many times before (this year even). You will always find the advice summarises in 'dont bother'. It really is the best advice, fair enough if you get given a 4 branch, or a cam for a tenner etc. But personally I'd rather own the cleanest, standard & well maintained 1.2 on the forum & make it a car worthy of a proper engine upgrade when your finances/insurance permits. It can still be eye catching & 'on trend' in styling terms.

Spend your money on bushes, brake fluid & wheel bearings before a K&N.