PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got any info on Fiat Coupe turbos???

Adam
16-04-10, 07:34 PM
As above really. Mates just bought one, but it doesnt really cater for his 3 kids very well lol

Ive had a look round it, its a p-plate and is fooking immaculate!!!!

He took me out in it and it goes well, very very well!!!!
It aint far from nova xe pace, but its quiet and comfortable when crusing and has a nice bit of turbine stall when you let off.... :d

Anyone had one?? good/bad points??? Its got fsh, and a receipt for a cambelt for £867 :eek::eek:

Tempted to p/x for my astra, because its perfect for him......

Mazz
16-04-10, 07:35 PM
I know if all else fails, you can use the front discs on your Nova.. lol

Rick Draper
My mates dad was/is a fiat mechanic. He used to do the cam belts without the need for a engine out and fiat would bill the owner for the standard costs of a cam belt job on them lmao.

They rot worse than novas lol

blue_peg_16v
isnt the cambelt engine out job on them?

rick draper got there first

but 867 int bad if it is engine out vauxhall quoted over £700 to do cambelt on the vectra so thought fook it ill have a go and its just like a big 2,0 with 2 extra cams

the fiat coupe is a fast capable car and can take a bit of extra boost too

Adam
16-04-10, 07:39 PM
I know if all else fails, you can use the front discs on your Nova.. lol lol lol

Its a 20v turbo with Brembos and 308s, so even the discs are useless to a nova!! lol

Do they really rot that bad??? This one "looks" mint, and the history file on it is about 3inches thick. Maybe that just shows how much trouble its been tho...... :confused:

Yes apparently cambelt is an engine out job, but thats been done by a main dealer so should be ok for the next xx thousand miles....

Plug
16-04-10, 07:40 PM
i used to have a 20v turbo lump in a punto. Never had a problem with the engine but only owned the car 3 months

Count Vaux Alot
16-04-10, 07:43 PM
Turbos dont fail much in my experience

Adam
16-04-10, 07:43 PM
The engine is quick even in the coupe, would go v.v. well in a punto....

Whats weird is its quite a quiet car, he put his foot down in 3rd, i thought "yeah, about as quick as my astra", then he went into 4th, i looked down at the speedo and he was doing like 90/95mph. Thats was surprised me a lot, It felt like the nova does doing 50

craig green
16-04-10, 07:44 PM
Sounds nice Ad. What colour is it?

My initial thoughts were, err dont, but it sounds like a good one. Fiats & Alfa's are generally classed as good ones or bad ones, most being 'bad ones'. It seems the italians are most productive on a Friday afternoon. lol

peester
16-04-10, 07:45 PM
if cambelt done then goodo - tis a big bill to do it (engine out or summat silly) my mate had one (yellow 16v turbo) i liked it - defy its price in looks/sound/speed.. poor mans ferrari aint it lol
im a fan.. in that nice blue, 20v its a top 30 car in my list lol

oh advice: i think if the person wanting to buy one drove car hard and had little to no mechanical experience ide say no.. but u ad - youll be pullin the chicks lol

Adam
16-04-10, 07:45 PM
Its "that blue colour" lol A bit like a dark baby blue colour.

The interior is fooking awesome for a 14year old car tbh. Gauges everywhere, blue trim around the dash, full leather etc etc.......

blue_peg_16v
16-04-10, 07:46 PM
The engine is quick even in the coupe, would go v.v. well in a punto....

Whats weird is its quite a quiet car, he put his foot down in 3rd, i thought "yeah, about as quick as my astra", then he went into 4th, i looked down at the speedo and he was doing like 90/95mph. Thats was surprised me a lot, It felt like the nova does doing 50

got to remember the fiat was designed for over 200bhp the nova for 45 lol

pikey1986
16-04-10, 07:47 PM
my mate had a 20vt a couple of years ago, rolling roaded at 277bhp and went like stink but the top end went, turbo seals went, water pipe at the back of the block split (pita job to do) so had to let it go for £1000 as he couldn't shift it, very fast and very comfortable (if i weren't in the back)

peester
16-04-10, 07:47 PM
yeah the colour coded dash is ace.. pininfarina for ya
bella

funny this has come up - im getting swayed from diesel vectras as a new daily hack to replace that v6 vec i had to alfa 156's lol for the money these old italian cars have got so much more kudos

Adam
16-04-10, 07:48 PM
It handles fooking awesomely too, no torque steer etc. You can tell its designed to handle the power/torque.
Felt like it had a lsd tbh, not sure if they do have as standard or anything?

peester
16-04-10, 07:50 PM
well remember at TOTB olly hewitt got out-handled by one lol

Adam
16-04-10, 07:57 PM
Its this colour, looks nice just stood still! lol
http://i.ebayimg.com/02/%21BlsPukwBmk%7E$%28KGrHqEH-DkEtrgv9HwNBLctKf7oY%21%7E%7E_3.JPG

Ben
16-04-10, 08:05 PM
As Rick said you can do them in situ and there not that bad even if engine out, very simple drop out lift in procedure.

I like them, great little cars. Never seen one rot bad at all tbh and ive seen quite a few.

Rexy
16-04-10, 08:05 PM
Awesome little cars when driven properly, they would easily outdrive your nova xe tbh. I dunno where they get their grip from but my word they dont half put a smile on your face.

If its cheap enough, give it a go you can always break it :D

Ben
16-04-10, 08:06 PM
Yeah they used to break for awesome money 2-3 years ago.

muzzy
16-04-10, 08:06 PM
They are quite good cars if they are well looked after, if has just been abused all it's life then you may start noticing problems.

peester
16-04-10, 08:07 PM
oh ad, sold! lol

Adam
16-04-10, 08:15 PM
Awesome little cars when driven properly, they would easily outdrive your nova xe tbh. I dunno where they get their grip from but my word they dont half put a smile on your face.

If its cheap enough, give it a go you can always break it :D
Yeah, it gripped like hell through the corners, then went like hell through the straights lol

It has been v.well looked after, even today he drove it ten mile before hitting any decent boost, and then left it idling for 10mins when he put it back on his drive......

Asa-James
16-04-10, 08:32 PM
Very good and capable cars, only thing to watch for is front calipers, if they are orginal fit they can sieze(replaced a few when I worked for a fiat dealer) other than that, gorgeous epic cars, cambelt can be done with the engine in the car, turbo+ is more power and slightly better spec iirc, 16v is pointless and 16v turbo is a lancia delta engine ;)

saloonwoody
16-04-10, 08:35 PM
they are ****e.........that is all lol

blue_peg_16v
16-04-10, 08:35 PM
that buys it for me lanciadeltas are rally legends if its goodengough for 6 titles its good enough for me lol

Southie
16-04-10, 08:43 PM
Asa beat me too it as I was going to say the 16v's are Delta engines.

I like them as my boss had one and took me out in it when he'd bought it brand new, surprisingly quick tbh. Bar that I know feck all about them Adam lol

sparkie1401
16-04-10, 08:51 PM
Yeah they used to break for awesome money 2-3 years ago.

thats true i got nearly 2 grand for a front end back in 2005

Jack
16-04-10, 08:54 PM
has a nice bit of turbine stall when you let off.... :d
So its going to need a new turbo soon then? lol

I'd say its a no brainer tbh. Know what you mean re: the speed; my Celica can run rings round a Nova XE, yet doesn't "feel" all that fast in a straight line. Its only when you look down at the speedo... lol

Connor
16-04-10, 09:09 PM
looks a good deal to me :d

John
16-04-10, 09:12 PM
Italian cars have soul, A chap at work has the sporty stilo, by god it's quick, but has the worst build quality ever lol. If you can live with the aquired taste looks go for it! (edit, is it yellow?)

blue_peg_16v
16-04-10, 09:16 PM
its blue

John
16-04-10, 09:16 PM
Soory couldn't be assed to trawl through lol. do it!

discoinferno
16-04-10, 09:49 PM
oil pump s are common to go on them!!! my mate had 2 engines in a year , one engine failed after 65k the other was 2nd hand and had done 90k when they are going though they are tools

Asa-James
16-04-10, 11:27 PM
A chap at work has the sporty stilo,

That doesn't read right...

MK999
16-04-10, 11:30 PM
Know what you mean re: the speed; my Celica can run rings round a Nova XE, yet doesn't "feel" all that fast in a straight line. Its only when you look down at the speedo... lol

Sensation over actual speed :d
at least until I can afford the actual speed

craig green
16-04-10, 11:32 PM
Are these 5cyl or 5v heads? I forget.

The 16v turbo is the same engine as the Integrale's is it not?

Ben
17-04-10, 05:26 AM
they are 5cyl well the 20v's are lol

Ben
17-04-10, 05:28 AM
oil pump s are common to go on them!!! my mate had 2 engines in a year , one engine failed after 65k the other was 2nd hand and had done 90k when they are going though they are tools

I threw the bottom end out of one, we bought it with big end knocking and i decided to see what it would still take, not a lot lol

Adam
17-04-10, 06:03 PM
So its going to need a new turbo soon then? lol

I'd say its a no brainer tbh. Know what you mean re: the speed; my Celica can run rings round a Nova XE, yet doesn't "feel" all that fast in a straight line. Its only when you look down at the speedo... lol
Meh some turbos can take it :p

Yeah its a 5cyl 20v turbo

Nova_Sean
17-04-10, 06:18 PM
Are these 5cyl or 5v heads? I forget.

The 16v turbo is the same engine as the Integrale's is it not?

Already been mentioned twice!! but yeh, they are

Nick
20-04-10, 02:20 AM
From the brief expirience i've had with them, they have SHOCKING turning circles.. that is all.

dj_wudgey
20-04-10, 11:16 AM
my mate had one as above had a **** turning circle but it was f*cking fast!

claire6069
20-04-10, 01:11 PM
my ex's best mate had one for 18 months - it spent 17 months and 30 days being rebuilt! but it was fast for the one day it lived lol

djshaggeh
20-04-10, 01:18 PM
My friend has one although it got written off on Friday night by a Bentley Continental GT and his just bought a MG ZS 190 X-Power. It was rear ended so it anyone wants one for an engine its up for sale.

Judging from his experiences, I wouldn't have one. The first thing I noticed with his was the piniferna (sp) badge was glued on upside down lol. A week after he bought it the engine let go and he had it rebuilt at the coast of 2 grand. IIRC the subframe bushes perished and had to be replaced which was a big job. The head gasket went so that had to be done. He had problems with the immobilizer which was fairly costly. All in all pretty poor, although he did have it for about 2 years and it is a 16 year old fiat.

When it ran it was pretty quick and handled quite well. Just seemed a bit plain jane for me, I prefer cars with a bit of character.

EDIT: There was talk of him putting the coupe engine into a tipo, that would be quite good fun.

Mieran
20-04-10, 02:21 PM
Fix
It
Again
Tomorrow

Keep the Astra.

claire6069
20-04-10, 02:39 PM
Fix
It
Again
Tomorrow

Keep the Astra.

very true lol

Adam
20-04-10, 03:20 PM
Just seemed a bit plain jane for me, I prefer cars with a bit of character.

Thats the complete opposite description of a Coupe turbo!! lol
Its got "funky" looks and could never be called plain/boring imo..

Anyway, had a bit of a talk about this over the last few days and hes looking for a cash sale around the £1800 mark, so maybe a px on the astra plus a few hundred quid cash. Still tempted tbh, but dont know if im willing to give the few hundred for the car, plus the big increase in insurance.....

HMMM

claire6069
20-04-10, 03:25 PM
its still a fiat though - kinda has the same effect as telling people you own a skoda lol

Adam
20-04-10, 03:28 PM
Eh eh eh, new Skodas are good cars!!!

claire6069
20-04-10, 03:30 PM
VRS granted lol

Adam
20-04-10, 03:32 PM
;)

Jack
20-04-10, 03:40 PM
lol @ the owning a skoda comment. Like having an astra is much better!

coast
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/27/d9/70/island-seaside-view.jpg
:confused:

lol

dj_wudgey
20-04-10, 04:59 PM
a lad down my end used to have the 16 valve turbo lump in a bravo only saw it out and about as i didnt know the guy well but it didnt hang about beat my mate pauls coupe but it weighd less!

L14MNP
20-04-10, 05:04 PM
Vauxhall must be the pinnacle luxury brand. lol

I'd get the Coupe, as it seems to be a good one. Very good cars (for the money) if they've been looked after.

dj_wudgey
20-04-10, 05:07 PM
id agree mate there nice cars id have one as a runaround lol