PDA

View Full Version : changed air filter and spark plugs now pulses and cuts out?

abbomaniac
16-04-10, 03:39 PM
Just changed the air filter and spark plugs on my 1.2, now on tick over it pulses like its going to cut out and when i drive it it just literally doesnt pick up speed just makes loads revs and climbs speed at a snails pace and will cut out mid driving?any ideas?all spark plugs are new and fitted fine :confused:

Tommy_nova
16-04-10, 03:41 PM
have you defo got the leads on the plugs in the right fireing order ?

Paul
16-04-10, 03:41 PM
gapped the plugs?

abbomaniac
16-04-10, 03:45 PM
yeah all in right order even done one at a time i even tried putting old ones back in just to check and its still no good?

Mazz
16-04-10, 04:06 PM
Is it firing on all 4?

Annie
16-04-10, 04:15 PM
Try some new ht leads prob a good idea to replace when you change your plugs anyway.

check your coil lead & coil pack.

Did you take off your dustbin lid? Might have pulled a wire on your carb/injector.

my money would have been on plug gaps but you say you checked other than that id say ht leads most of mine have broken when replacing the plugs or not in the corect order. :)

Also have you messed with you distributor? cap/rotor arm might be the timing.

brainsnova
16-04-10, 04:22 PM
is the small vacume pipe thing on under the front off the airbox.

Southie
16-04-10, 04:24 PM
gapped the plugs?
+1

abbomaniac
16-04-10, 05:06 PM
Will try some ht leads.is there any way of checking just ht leads ?
Yeah had dustbin lid of to change air filter.
It shouldnt be the plug gaps got them from a motor shop and said there pre set plus it does it with new plugs and still did it when I put old back in.

And yeah its on at front it of the air box ,
Somebody said could be fuel or air ?

If I just tap accelerator when ticking over it revs then drops right down as if its going to cut out/ stall if that. hElps what it could be .

craig green
16-04-10, 05:48 PM
gapped the plugs?

+2

How can the plugs be pre-gapped? I bet the box didnt say Vauxhall Nova 1.2....

Slim the gaps down & in most cases a misfire will be solved. Unless you have fudged up something else along the way.

abbomaniac
16-04-10, 06:19 PM
Ok will try that then how much of a gap do you think there should be between? I'm just going on what the bloke in the shop said would go straight in

abbomaniac
16-04-10, 06:21 PM
Just don't understand why old sparks don't work when they was already in it ?

craig green
16-04-10, 06:24 PM
Ok will try that then how much of a gap do you think there should be between? I'm just going on what the bloke in the shop said would go straight in

I think its 0.8mm. Check in a Haynes manual, but I tend to use my thumbnail as a thickness gauge.. If the gaps are larger, close them down to that of your nail, gently.

abbomaniac
16-04-10, 06:40 PM
Ok thank you will post how that goes

Angus Closier
16-04-10, 09:12 PM
I think i the edge of a fag pack is about .8-1mm so around that.....Iv brought pre gapped plugs but would always check again for the sake of it! However that dont explain why the old ones didnt work when tried again?

abbomaniac
21-04-10, 02:50 PM
well finally sorted it after ages of messing with the spark plugs,thought i would check the carb. found a round piece of plastic size of a two pwnce piece blocking it!!! really havent got a clue where thats from , removed it and is running fine