PDA

View Full Version : Buemi's front wheels fall off

muzzy
16-04-10, 02:08 PM
Did anyone read about this at all? Pretty crazy thing to happen. I would imagine a few strong words were said when he returned to pits. The whole front set up seemed to just disintegrate under braking. :wtf:

Lucky it happened where it did so that he didn't suffer any serious injury, could have been much much worse.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8624276.stm

Southie
16-04-10, 02:11 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Feck me thats some Vtec yooooo lol

vaughanmc
16-04-10, 02:11 PM
I bet that was scary

sparkie1401
16-04-10, 02:13 PM
lol

whoooooops, im applying for the tyre fitters position

mowgli
16-04-10, 02:14 PM
bottom ball joints went???

muzzy
16-04-10, 02:24 PM
Toro Rosso said the crash had been caused by a failure of the front-right upright, which caused an immediate failure of the same part on the left.

BBC say the cars are usually doing around 194mph before braking at that specific part of the track :eek:

NovaLad
16-04-10, 02:54 PM
That's crazy..!

Mazz
16-04-10, 03:13 PM
wow, thats crazy!

looks like the wishbones couldn't take the force of braking and gave up!

Lee
16-04-10, 03:30 PM
Nasty.

had to laugh at the completely useless attempt at some oppy locky as he started going sideways though lol Obviously a natural reaction, but still looks funny watching someone trying to steer with no front end :)

Ben
16-04-10, 03:34 PM
I went through a spate of this lol but not at those speeds.

Had something like 4 wheels come off in 3 months lmao

burgo
16-04-10, 03:41 PM
:o feck me thats properly ubber crazy

General Baxter
16-04-10, 04:36 PM
thats so funny, here me worrying about my wheels falling off, if a billion pound race team can get it all wrong, theres no hope for any of us lol

NovaLad
16-04-10, 04:42 PM
Just noticed the guy holding the wheel up and kneeling down for a picture with it haha!

Andy
16-04-10, 04:45 PM
LMFAO@ "The team had more bad luck when their dictaphone shattered" lol lol lol lol lol

General Baxter
16-04-10, 04:53 PM
redbull gives you wings

'where were going we dont need roads lol'

blue_peg_16v
16-04-10, 05:09 PM
ooops baxter have you been designing f1 cars in secret 1 bodge too far lol

General Baxter
16-04-10, 05:22 PM
ooops baxter have you been designing f1 cars in secret 1 bodge too far lol

i told them, the cable ties would hold lol

blue_peg_16v
16-04-10, 05:24 PM
you neded the engine mount type from the spares day lol

if jack had of given a hand with adding duck tape it would of held lol

Jack
16-04-10, 05:35 PM
LMFAO I love how F1 fans get all excited when stuff like this happens. Meh, go watch WRC, this happens pretty much every weekend. The drivers usually just get out, jam the wheels back under the arches and try to finish the stage lol

blue_peg_16v
16-04-10, 05:42 PM
toro rosso now sponsered by chipperfields curcus

Andy
16-04-10, 05:43 PM
Yeah and Buemi is to be replaced by Billy Smart lol

Jack
16-04-10, 05:45 PM
if jack had of given a hand with adding duck tape it would of held lol
LOL my post originally was going to say "...wrc drivers just fix it up with some duct tape and try to finish the stage" lol

muzzy
16-04-10, 05:47 PM
I watch WRC, you sort of expect things like that to happen in rallying whereas in F1 you don't expect both the wheels to fall off at once lol.

Jack
16-04-10, 05:49 PM
I think an "Ejecto-wheelo" button could liven things up. Mind you, I still reckon they should be allowed to fit weaponry to the cars lol

muzzy
16-04-10, 05:51 PM
Machine gun & flame thrower strapped to the front :cool:

blue_peg_16v
16-04-10, 05:52 PM
oil slick button like 007 for them sneeky people trying to overtake you lol mark webber had a smoke screen fitted off the start at the last race lol

dj_wudgey
16-04-10, 05:54 PM
yea was not so scary when the wheel came off my mates 1.2 nova beacase he didnt tighten them right turned a sharp right and off it came lol

MK999
16-04-10, 05:56 PM
thats so funny, here me worrying about my wheels falling off, if a billion pound race team can get it all wrong, theres no hope for any of us lol

If nothing ever breaks on a race car, it's all far far too heavy :p

General Baxter
16-04-10, 05:58 PM
If nothing ever breaks on a race car, it's all far far too heavy :p

this is why i suggested cable ties, there lighter then wheel nuts :thumb:

MK999
16-04-10, 06:01 PM
this is why i suggested cable ties, there lighter then wheel nuts :thumb:

You joke, but they're actually in very wide use in F1, massive ultimate tensile strength for their weight lol Hamiltons airbox was restrained from sucking itself into the engine with cable ties last year.

Bubba
16-04-10, 06:23 PM
im sure my company supplies redbull racing with their metal etc lol i know we supply mclaren and williams

MK999
16-04-10, 06:26 PM
im sure my company supplies redbull racing with their metal etc lol i know we supply mclaren and williams

Not too much business then lol

Ben
16-04-10, 06:29 PM
yeah was thinking not much metal in the f1 cars!

Bubba
16-04-10, 06:30 PM
nah, odd bit of stainless or ally now n then :d very rarely some nice titanium

MK999
16-04-10, 06:32 PM

Probably making cutlery in the CNC machines with it while they're bored rather than bits for the cars lol

Bubba
16-04-10, 06:34 PM
tiz the motor sport section of out head branch. i remember some stuff for prodrive being sent out last year too.

mowgli
16-04-10, 06:46 PM
BUEMI is the bloke who can now say the old classic cockney put down 'i had one of those....... the wheels fell off'

linky (http://www.londonslang.com/db/i/)

peester
16-04-10, 08:09 PM
fecking dodgy 5 stud conversions for ya lol.. with spacers

blue_peg_16v
16-04-10, 09:17 PM
standard studs with spacers = that clip lol

Lee
16-04-10, 11:01 PM

And a big plank of wood lol

General Baxter
16-04-10, 11:04 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Feck me thats some Vtec yooooo lol
stuff that, you lot and your 288+ mm brakes take note lol

dhdev (Oli)
17-04-10, 11:38 AM
How long before we have a serious/fatal accident in F1? It seems to me that the budget cuts and limited testing are proving rather dangerous. Buemi's front upright, Sauber's front wing, Vettel's ''mechanical'' failure in Australia......

blue_peg_16v
17-04-10, 11:47 AM
im suprised there hasnt been something with one of the new teams tbf how you can race with no testing at all is beyond me

blue_peg_16v
17-04-10, 11:47 AM
stuff that, you lot and your 288+ mm brakes take note lol

mine are 280 so im fine lol

dhdev (Oli)
17-04-10, 11:49 AM
Exactly. It's all well and good getting new teams involved, but when the new teams are woefully underprepared it just seems counter-productive to be honest. I think Martin Brundle described the Hispania Racing car as looking dangerous and suggested that Bruno should get points just for managing to get the car round :tard:lol

blue_peg_16v
17-04-10, 11:53 AM
very true 4 test sesions before an entitre season is inadiquate imo, as is stopping in season testing as it means races are gloryfied tests as the development of cars takes place at the race, the sauber wing for example fails so they beef it up a bit still not tested just wacked on the car cross fingures and hope for the best as there is no way of testing it proply, sort of makes you laugh when its supposed to be the pinicle of motorsport

Danny s-p
17-04-10, 12:37 PM
did any take note that the front wheels flew up in the air at the end and nearly wiped some peeps out now that wood of hurt

blue_peg_16v
17-04-10, 04:12 PM
there are suposed to be tyre straps to stop them flying off into the crowd see they worked too

dhdev (Oli)
17-04-10, 04:38 PM
there are suposed to be tyre straps to stop them flying off into the crowd see they worked too
The tethers attach to the upright, which is the bit that failed. The wheels that went flying off would've contained the uprights/hubs/brake calipers/discs. I'm glad they're not over-reacting on the crowd safety aspect to be honest, the catch fences are more than adequate in most situations, you'll never be able to protect the crowd 100%.

mowgli
17-04-10, 09:33 PM
Exactly. It's all well and good getting new teams involved, but when the new teams are woefully underprepared it just seems counter-productive to be honest. I think Martin Brundle described the Hispania Racing car as looking dangerous and suggested that Bruno should get points just for managing to get the car round :tard:lol

apart from the 1992 season, when he was in the second benetton, mr brundle drove some stuff that was truly shocking compared to a modern f1 car. all the tubs have to pass the same tough crash tests

MK999
17-04-10, 09:34 PM
I believe he was referring to the handling, as he stated it looked "dangerous to drive"

dhdev (Oli)
17-04-10, 09:54 PM
I believe he was referring to the handling, as he stated it looked "dangerous to drive"
That's what I meant. :thumb:

mowgli
17-04-10, 10:02 PM
they are simply very slow........ all of the big teams apart from ferrari produced shockingly bad cars for their first season... ferrari inherited the lancia or alfa cars (i can't remember which).. and i don't think that cosworth engine is anywhere near the others.... williams just has a very good car that flatters the poor engine performance

dhdev (Oli)
17-04-10, 10:17 PM
they are simply very slow........ all of the big teams apart from ferrari produced shockingly bad cars for their first season... ferrari inherited the lancia or alfa cars (i can't remember which).. and i don't think that cosworth engine is anywhere near the others.... williams just has a very good car that flatters the poor engine performance

Sauber's wing problems, Virgin's small fuel tank, the number of non-finishes due to mechanical problems...these aren't just slow, they're not fit for purpose! Increased amounts of testing would've solved all of these problems, granted the downside is cost. But cost or ill-prepared, potentially dangerous cars? I'd pick the first.

Sloth
17-04-10, 10:48 PM
meh, skegness stockcars is better.

blue_peg_16v
18-04-10, 12:33 AM
apart from the 1992 season, when he was in the second benetton, mr brundle drove some stuff that was truly shocking compared to a modern f1 car. all the tubs have to pass the same tough crash tests

so the tub mets present safty standards if it swaps ends cos the rear wing falls off at nearly 200mph its still very dangerous. and the strength of wings isnt tested. his benetton at the time was to standard thats like compairing the safty aids on a nova to a brand new corsa tbf safty moves on in everything. personaly i feel that f1 is the pinicle of motorsport and shuld not have testing restrictions we want them to push development but yet they cant test its a total contradiction how can f1 be the for runner of technology if they are only allowed 4 tests a year

mowgli
18-04-10, 10:38 AM
the whole test ban thing is a cost cutting measure..... when you read things like the fact that 4 years ago, teams had 2 test teams running at any one time, blowing huge money, ferrari used to be bridgestones 'official test team' and were paid £20m to drive round for weeks on end,

the winning teams have exactly the same amount of testing time as the backmarkers...
the slow teams are ridiculously slow at the moment, & force india was plain awful when it appeared, now it is pretty good, torro rosso spent decades as minardi & was infamous for its ability to self destruct on the track.

the fia and specifically max mosley, are to blame for these rules, and not the teams...the new teams weren't given enough time to get properly ready, and the proposed racing budget was simply too low.

but these rules have contributed to the racing, because they have made mclaren up their game dramatically, in previous years, they would produce a car & then spend 2 months testing it mercilessly till it was fast..
merc (brawn) are doing very well on the rules too, considering they were bloody lucky last year with a car fitted with a huge starter motor hole....oops double diffuser

blue_peg_16v
18-04-10, 12:04 PM
also they inherited that car from honda were it had almost a year of development as the previous car was cack for honda so they didnt develop it.

newey tho is proving what a genius he is in designing a car, the red bull is very quick and follows his tradition from williams and mclaren of building bloody quick cars

mowgli
18-04-10, 12:08 PM
the diffuser was actually designed by a junior engineer at super aguri...ross brawn was clever enough to run with it though....

newey is a true genius, but he has also designed cars with wings that fell off

blue_peg_16v
18-04-10, 12:11 PM
he also designed the car that killed senna

mowgli
18-04-10, 12:17 PM
thats a bit tenuous, even though the car was a bit of a dog, and it wasn't that fast. senna's was a freak accident, but after that, the cars were made narrower, so the suspension arms couldn't fly off like they did when he hit the wall, & the runoffs were made way bigger

blue_peg_16v
18-04-10, 12:21 PM
very true

big shame i still think he was the best ever imo

mowgli
18-04-10, 12:23 PM
i still wish i'd taken up the offer of going to donington in 93..... i was a bit skint & the weatherman said it would p!ss down, so i stayed at home in front of the telly...... the first lap was the greatest ever driven...........

blue_peg_16v
18-04-10, 12:30 PM
i always remember a qualifying session in france he was driving a mclaren when mansell was at williams i think and the timing line was right at the begining of the straight, and the mclaren was pig slow so he banzied the shicane and spun over the line which gave him pole shear jenius to think of that and big cahoonas to actualy do it, and he was a master at monaco.

mowgli
18-04-10, 02:31 PM
did you know that senna did this though???

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/allarticles/276871/ccc-ayrton-senna-rally-driver.html

he drove a nova sport for a CCC mag group test

novacabrio
18-04-10, 02:48 PM
Scary stuff, but LMFAO at him trying to steer away from the wall

burgo
18-04-10, 06:16 PM
how fecking stupid lol, ALL motorsport is dangerous

mowgli
18-04-10, 06:33 PM
how fecking stupid lol, ALL motorsport is dangerous

i dispute that statement...... drifting