PDA

View Full Version : Firing order?

James B
23-04-03, 06:03 PM
what is the firing order for a 1.4 sr, is it 1-3-4-2

i am getting no sparks at all, engine is turning over but not starting, what could i be doing wrong?

james

Stuart
23-04-03, 06:58 PM
yes 1342

check the coil is firing to the king lead.

if thats not working erm check the ign module.

James B
23-04-03, 08:39 PM
both of them are working, tried everything, identified the problem:

There is power going into the dizzy cap but nothing coming out. We have examined the cap and the rotor arm and everything seems to be in order. So really haven't got a clue what else this would be.

Seeing as the engine was 2nd hand and cheap, might be broke in general :lol:

So gonna go to scrappy 2mora to buy a whole new dizzy unit, how much would i be looking to pay for this d'yall think??

James

locky
23-04-03, 09:41 PM
Is ther a spark comin fron the end of the king lead?
Maybe that needs replacing!

mikeoxford
23-04-03, 10:06 PM
Is ther a spark comin fron the end of the king lead?
Maybe that needs replacing!

as locky says, pull the king lead of the dizzy, hold it with pliers just apart from the engine block and see if it sparks.

is it deffo a spark problem why your car wont start? its not petrol or the like?

James B
24-04-03, 03:19 PM
king lead is lead going to centre of dizzy cap yeah??

If so thats workin fine..... theres a charge going into dizzy cap but nothing coming out?!??! :evil:

Just been to scrappy to get a whole new dizzy... hopefully this'll sort it!!! any other ideas lads???? :?

from the dizzy (off a GTE) theres a block with three wires comin out, The cars a 1.2 Merit and so has the wiring for a 1.2... we've got two wires (red + black) whereas the three wires from the GTE dizzy are green yellow n black... wtf?? HELP!!!!!!!

To top it all off me mate was givin me a lift today and the gearbox decided it'd had enough so now where both stranded until we've got this bugga workin!!!

:cry:

Jules
24-04-03, 03:32 PM
Wouldn't be the carbon (?) pin on the inside of the dizzy cap worn out would it?
Take the cap off, look inside, in the centre there should be a piece of black carbom (I think it's carbon) sticking down, you should be able to push it in and it'll pop back out, this makes contact with the rotor arm which in turn distrubutes the sparks to the 4 contacts around the inside of the cap which then goes down the HT leads and sparks the plugs and...
...well you get the idea.
If it is the piece of carbon then just buy another dizzy cap (and rotor arm whilst you're at it) and see what happens.

There were different types of dizzy avaliable for different engines, looks like you got the wrong one for yours!!! :(

James B
24-04-03, 03:37 PM
Brand spanking new dizzy and rotor..

James B
24-04-03, 03:53 PM
and help with them wires?? :o

Jules
24-04-03, 04:22 PM
Try a new cap and rotor arm for your old one first, if that doesn't work then take the dizzy back and see if you can change it for the correct one!!!

James B
24-04-03, 06:27 PM
it is the correct dizzy cap, the correct rotor arm and i have just bought a new dizzy. however STILL no sparks. And im gettin pissed off. Need the car for 2mora or im screwed. aint too many buses to get me 10 miles home from work at 3.30 in the mornin.

Its the wires i need help with, to me its the only thing left that I'm still unsure about

On the dizzy there is a connection block with three terminals.

I know on a 1.4 and 1.6 etc there is black yellow and green

on my wiring (which was a 1.2 wiring) there was black and red wires

Firstly - what are the 3 wires for, where do they go and is it essential for these engines to have all 3? if so this would explain it, as i have only the 2 existing ones wired up, and im not even sure if they are wired up correctly. as there are 3 terminals i have tried a whole number of combinations, still with no joy

so if this last third wire IS required, where does it go to, and also what order on the terminal should they go on?

PLEASE PLEASE help me out boyz and girlz

James

James B
24-04-03, 06:47 PM
another theory - but not overly confident on this one -

I have clifford alarm immobilser etc etc

Would this be causing the problem? I dont think it would seeing as the engine is turning from starter motor plus there is power going all the way up to the king lead of the dizzy cap, surely the immobiliser would have cut the power before this point??

James

James B
24-04-03, 06:57 PM
also - another thing, sorry if this is pissing you all off like...

the car is a 1.2 mk2 shell, recently after passing my driving test like year and half ago i seized the engine and took it into a garage to get a new one put in (my knowledge of cars at the time was minimal, as you can tell it has grown since, but not by much lol :lol: ) they put in a 1.2 mk1 engine.

A mate has said he thinks the mk1 and mk2 coils are different??

the engine i have just put in is a mk2, so could it be the coil itself?? coz altho power is gettin through the king lead, there are these other wires which are still baffling me..

Cheers

James

Stuart
24-04-03, 09:59 PM
so am i correct in thinking that youve had the center lead off the dizzy and held it near the block and had someone crank the engine over so you can see the spark? (if not do it)

if you get a spark then we are half awy home.

take a spark plug out of the engine and attach an HT lead (from the dizzy) to it, then place the thread of the spark plug against the block and have someone crank the engine again. if you get a spark there woo hoo.

check the Firing order on the leads is correct and that the plugs arent sooted/dirty.

if theres no spark at the plug then check the "new" dizzy cap is ok on the inside, also check the rotor arm. ive had several rotor arms have the center contact fall off, yes thats right. and it ran like pants lol.

WRT the 1.6 dizzy, a)its gont the wrong drive from the camshaft to yours b)its intended for use with an ecu
c)im almost sure you wont need a complete new dixxy since you claim to ahve spark form the coil, which suggests the dizzy is fine, jsut the cap/arm/htleads are to blame

mikeoxford
24-04-03, 11:36 PM
WRT the 1.6 dizzy,

WRT?

Stuart
24-04-03, 11:52 PM
WRT= With Regard To