PDA

View Full Version : Tinting

Nova_Tek
15-04-10, 01:19 PM
Anyone done it before using tint film?

When they say soap solution, what's the best soap to use? (stuff found around the home)

The glass is out of the car so it'll be easier than tryna do it whilst it's in place.
:thumb:

brainsnova
15-04-10, 01:24 PM
fairy liquid type stuff is what they mean by soap. well thats what i seen used before.

Nova_Tek
15-04-10, 01:25 PM
Ok cool mate, will use that then. By the way, that stanley blade on glass trick worked a treat :thumb:

brainsnova
15-04-10, 01:36 PM
im not 100% but phone a tint place and ask what they use :thumb:

brucer
15-04-10, 01:38 PM
personaly id get it done profesionaly, i tried numerous times in my younger days to get it perfect and couldnt.

Ive tried with the glass in and out, the rear screen is the hardest btw.

Nova_Tek
15-04-10, 01:51 PM
Yeah I'm not 100% sure on getting the rear done, the side ones seem flatter. If it goes boobs up then I could always remove it right?

May ring round and see what they'll charge to do it. I got all the film, the equipment etc just need to find 'Ph 5 soap solution'

Nova_Tek
15-04-10, 02:05 PM
Just rung round a few places local to me. One wanted £150 for the rear glass using my film. And the other wanted £80 for the back 3 glass using his 'proper' film.

Sounds a bit much tbh for just labour.

Jack
15-04-10, 02:17 PM
Sides are dead easy, I can't remember the exact soapy stuff I used but it was one of those uber-soapy things thats clear - a couple of drops in a spray thing of water was enough. Sprayed onto the windows (which had been alcohol-cleaned first), laid on the tint, then used a windscreen wiper to squeegee out the excess liquid. Trim the edges and seal with clear nail varnish (mums lol)

Rear is harder as it bulges outwards slightly so its a harder shape to work with. I didn't even attempt that one lol

Nova_Tek
15-04-10, 02:34 PM
Yeah the sides look to be real easy to do. I've got the proper squeegee and all that. The rear screen, I feel, will be a bit tougher to do. It says to cuts strips of tint for the rear screen but I'd much prefer to do it in one shot.

I've got 6m of the stuff so if it goes wrong I can just start over, just don't wanna damage the rear heating element by working on it too much.

Jack
15-04-10, 06:47 PM
So long as you keep the film well moistened, you shouldn't damage the element. Its only once its dried that peeling it off could risk damaging it.

Nova_Tek
15-04-10, 06:49 PM
Hmm, that's what I'm worried about. I suppose I'll be able to spot if it looks crap immediately and I could always take it off before it properly dries.

May have a bash tonight with the side windows and depending how that goes, do the back one too.

Jack
15-04-10, 06:53 PM
You'll know straight away if its not going to work, as the film will get long finger bubbles of air coming in from the edges :)

Nova_Tek
15-04-10, 06:57 PM
Coolio, I guess at that point it'd be best to remove it before it dries to lessen chance of damage to the element.

Hmm, wondering if I should brave it.

brainsnova
15-04-10, 07:09 PM
have a look on youtube theres plenty guides for curved glass and how to remove the fingers

Nova_Tek
15-04-10, 07:17 PM
Thanks Brains, will have a look.

Nova_Sean
15-04-10, 07:50 PM
Where did you get your stuff from and how much mate?

Nova_Tek
15-04-10, 08:05 PM
I got my stuff from abroad mate a couple years back. It looks like quality stuff. Was a brand that a lot of the modders used (I asked a lot of car owners what they use before I bought any). As the Pound was a lot stronger than the local currency, for me it was cheap, something stupid like £15 for 6m, but for the locals it wasn't :)

Nova_Tek
16-04-10, 06:54 PM
Had a go earlier and it was going great, it's actually very easy, until a piece of dust/fur/hair/whatever it was got stuck to the glued side of the tint film. Just went downhill from there, but the main thing is whilst it's still wet it can be removed with no problems.

Good thing I've got 6m of the stuff.