PDA

View Full Version : c20xe tapping (suprise lol)

xe Dan
14-04-10, 11:02 AM
rite my c20xe taps like hell from cold its anoying me now so im going to sort it. is it only tappets i need or are there other parts i need aswell and also where do people recomend getting parts from:thumb:

Will F
14-04-10, 11:20 AM
Only get Genuine (INA) lifters, the others are absolute scrap!

Thats all you need, I would swap the cam seals and rocker gasket too while your there though...

sparkie1401
14-04-10, 12:29 PM
ill bear the above in mind as ill be doing mine sooner rather than later

(INA) is that the manufacturer?

Damo
14-04-10, 12:33 PM
Yea me too mines the same till warm too.

Will F
14-04-10, 01:07 PM
ill bear the above in mind as ill be doing mine sooner rather than later

(INA) is that the manufacturer?

Yep the copies are absolutely awful and literally tap ALL the time - I have seen this happen 3 times to 3 different XEs

Mieran
14-04-10, 05:46 PM
Is it true that its better to use some ecotec ones? Read it somewhere before, assuming the op meant x20xev ones.

brainsnova
14-04-10, 05:53 PM
my calibra used to tap and if i switched it of after 30 secs and restarted then the tapping stopped.

General Baxter
14-04-10, 06:44 PM
Yep the copies are absolutely awful and literally tap ALL the time - I have seen this happen 3 times to 3 different XEs

make that 4 lol

nova_saloon
14-04-10, 06:58 PM
Right this is what i did to mine they tapped like crazy on cold take them out and make sure you keep them in the correct order. then give them a good whack to get the middle pieace out then you can break apart the centre bit and pull it all apart but to be honest there will be nothing inside oyu can do. Then push on the centre little ball and release the oil in there then pump them in a load of petrol/white spirit and just keep flushing and leave some in them for a bit and then make sure you get it all out adn clean the houseing aswell. then pump them up and release out the oil to get any white spirit or petrol left in there out. then prime them once more and put it back in. mine stopped tapping, maybe one or tweo on start up for about a few seconds but not even that loud!. well chuffed!

xe Dan
14-04-10, 08:57 PM
Only get Genuine (INA) lifters, the others are absolute scrap!

Thats all you need, I would swap the cam seals and rocker gasket too while your there though...how much are genuine ones as ive been told they are over £300:eek:

General Baxter
14-04-10, 09:03 PM
clean yours :)

Damo
14-04-10, 09:17 PM
my calibra used to tap and if i switched it of after 30 secs and restarted then the tapping stopped.

Mines the same if i turn it off when its tapping and restart it it stops lol .

Benn
14-04-10, 09:22 PM
They only tap thru ill maintenance.

The centers come out with a bang down on a bit of rag on some wood.
If you then sit them in clean oil and push your finger in the hole, you'll see filth spray out of the small hole in the side.

Keep oil changes regular and you'll be ok.

w88rdy
14-04-10, 09:25 PM
just had a full rebuild on mine and the lad cleaned all my lifters and it still taps from cold and sometimes on low idle, he reakons its a lazy lifter so do i need to replace them all instead?

Damo
14-04-10, 09:28 PM
just had a full rebuild on mine and the lad cleaned all my lifters and it still taps from cold and sometimes on low idle, he reakons its a lazy lifter so do i need to replace them all instead?

Probabily best off mate saves messing around trying to find the duff one.

You have a PM too mate.

nova_saloon
14-04-10, 09:42 PM
lol didnt anyone listen to what i said :S? was ti not useful! it works you know

w88rdy
14-04-10, 09:43 PM
autovaux it is then, pmed back

Damo
14-04-10, 09:44 PM

Yea mate am going try what you said first before shelling out lol.

General Baxter
14-04-10, 09:46 PM

done mine like that, works a treat :thumb:

Damo
14-04-10, 09:48 PM
done mine like that, works a treat :thumb:

Take it you took the cheapys out then nick.

General Baxter
14-04-10, 09:51 PM
Take it you took the cheapys out then nick.

they got stuck down, and the valves were stuck down, lucky not that tight, so the piston hit them back up :roll:,

should of seen the feedback and e-mail i sent lol

Damo
14-04-10, 10:04 PM
they got stuck down, and the valves were stuck down, lucky not that tight, so the piston hit them back up :roll:,

should of seen the feedback and e-mail i sent lol

Luck there then mate valves didnt bend.:eek:

djbrowney
14-04-10, 10:04 PM
as has already been said clean your old ones i havent even had a problem, i have also fitted a set for a ecotec but it has to be the early eco not the late. sbd sell them as a lighter lifter for pucka cams cheaky *******s lol

nova_saloon
14-04-10, 11:11 PM
Yea mate am going try what you said first before shelling out lol.

Good luck with it, Can get pics to help you if you need mate. :thumb:

muzzy
15-04-10, 01:19 AM
9 times out of 10 cleaning the lifters out will get rid of the tapping. When we were rebuilding heads we always inspected and cleaned out the lifters when we were told they were tapping and bar 1 or 2 occasions never had to actually replace them.

Damo
15-04-10, 07:25 AM
Good luck with it, Can get pics to help you if you need mate. :thumb:

Yea that would be a great help mate ill send you a PM over when im gonna tackle it then.:thumb:

Benn
15-04-10, 08:04 AM
Get this...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/bennh/Car%20updates/IMG_7460.jpg

Do this...(it face down on a bit over covered wood) Squeeze this bit in clean oil so it can suck up and spit out oil.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/bennh/Car%20updates/IMG_7461.jpg

Then do this..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/bennh/Car%20updates/IMG_7468.jpg

Then do this (nice and oily on the refit)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/bennh/Car%20updates/IMG_7469.jpg

xe Dan
15-04-10, 10:25 AM
rite cheers for the info im going to clean them out and see how i stand

djbrowney
15-04-10, 06:01 PM
you missed a very important stage there benn !!!

Benn
15-04-10, 06:48 PM
Where? I've cleaned out the main bits that get full of sh*te, the hole in the side of the main case can get blocked stopping oil getting in, making them noisy.

djbrowney
15-04-10, 09:52 PM
in the end of the little bit you tap out, there is a sprung loaded bearing. this needs to be pressed in and out in a pot of new oil until it stop checking out old oil lol

Benn
15-04-10, 09:57 PM
Sorry, i squeezed it in new oil was quite clean in there tho. Where as the hole in the main bit was clogged up.

But i didn't take it apart as just squeezing worked.. Shall edit my pic post.