PDA

View Full Version : Broken ball joint - valver nova

Voodoo
23-04-03, 02:20 PM
On sunday, the left front ball joint on my valver snapped with no warning, breaking where the shank is held to the hub by a nut and bolt!! Result: the wheel hit the fender, and the inner cv disassembled. Is this a "common" thing to happen, or could it be valver related? Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening or at least to prevent the wheel from wrecking the car?

rysmee
23-04-03, 05:54 PM
its pretty rare but a friend of mine had his go twice! i know something prob worng with car for it to go twice so if i were you i'd check susp geometry etc, as something could be bent, putting more pressure/stress on the ball joint.
get some nice new expensive ones.... 228 +vat each!!! from harry hockley. http://www.hh-ms.com/

brian
23-04-03, 07:16 PM
its definately not a valver thing m8. i had one break on a GTE a few years ago. i had 17's on at the time and the car was always driven hard so put it down to that.

get some nice new expensive ones.... 228 +vat each!!! from harry hockley.
Dont know bout 228 each! more like 228 for two.
The last gp A ball joints i bought were ?200 (two together) from www.pro-tecmotorsport.co.uk

fearless
23-04-03, 08:55 PM
Can b a problem fitting Grp A uniballs if u r running astra outer cv joints - due to the physical size of the cv joint - doesnt give u much room to fit a nut to the top of the uniball !

Aragorn
23-04-03, 09:51 PM
umm dont wanna sound thick - but why would u be using astra CV's??

i thaught the valver conversions used nova outers and cavvy inners???

mikeoxford
23-04-03, 09:59 PM
umm dont wanna sound thick - but why would u be using astra CV's??

i thaught the valver conversions used nova outers and cavvy inners???

cavvy or astra inners, both of them i assume use the same gearbox

Aragorn
23-04-03, 10:05 PM
the balljoint is beside the outer CV tho ??

mikeoxford
23-04-03, 10:07 PM
the balljoint is beside the outer CV tho ??

perhaps he hasnt used nova hubs?

maybe astra ones to get 5 studs or summat!?

fearless
23-04-03, 10:27 PM
Various options available on 2 ltr nova driveshafts
1 : Standard nova shafts with nova outer cv joints/mk2 cav inner joints
2 : Tapered shafts running nova outer cv's/Astra(or cav or calibra) inner joints
3 : Competition(heavy duty) Shafts with Astra inner and outer cv joints (which require a different flange pressed into the hub

Theres plenty of information around on these different methods of conversions - and there r a few other options available if i was to go into more depth

Anyway - back to the original thread

If he's using competition shafts with astra(big) cv joints on the outer - the physical size of the joint limits the amount of room between the bottom ball joint and the cv joint - uniballs require a nut fastening down on the hub as opposed to the original pinch bolt - the only way ive heard of this done is by using a very slim nut and cutting the threaded section of the uniball down - defeats the object really !!!!

Ste_Nova
24-04-03, 09:25 AM
http://www.tas.uk.com/Nova__Corsa/images/im0714_large.jpg

Voodoo
24-04-03, 02:27 PM
Nope, using the standard nova outers, 15 inch wheels, 195 tires.

Hey Ste, that's a sexy pic there :D , too much cash at the mo, but a good idea.

Benjoyce
24-04-03, 02:54 PM
i payed ?20 for a new wishbone and ball joint fro my drivers side front wheel

brian
25-04-03, 12:01 AM
Astra outer cv's do fit with the uniballs i fitted. because i was runing wide track suspension i had to use full astra shafts so i used the heavier ones (2L etc) and machined down Astra flanges and pressed them into the Nova hub.

_Ben_
26-04-03, 09:05 PM
And there was me about to buy the HH Uniballs without first checking the clearance for the top nut...

Arse, looks like I'll be forced to get the TAS ones.