PDA

View Full Version : Twin 45 Carbs

Rickardo
12-04-10, 09:29 PM
Howdy, first things first..

I know bog all about carbs.

I need some advice. After owning a let Nova, my 20XE Corsa Gsi is lacking in the grunt department.

I don't really want to go down the Let route again, so i want peoples opinions of carbs.. (People who have them or have used them)

Questions:

Which one's are best?

What benefit in power?

How reliable as a daily drive?

What are they like when cold? I don't want to pi$$ my neighbours off every morning when going to work.

What other things do i need apart from the carbs etc etc?

I know there a bit thirsty, but what sort of mileage do you get out of them?

Any other advice would be appreciated. :thumb:

Cheers

Rick

Adam
12-04-10, 09:38 PM
No chance id use them on a daily driver TBH

Rickardo
12-04-10, 09:40 PM
No chance id use them on a daily driver TBH

Any reasons Adam??

I'm just sounding them out. TB's are definately out, way too much money.

muzzy
12-04-10, 09:43 PM
Main issue is cold start, you wont have to rev the nuts off them but you will need to keep them up a bit till they warm up. If you get a second hand set then try and avoid the ancient tired looking ones as they usually need a rebuild (gaskets etc). Also you will obviously need them jetted if they are not set up for a 2.0 XE engine.

Stuart
12-04-10, 09:43 PM
What you will spend in fuel compared to a well setup TB rig will outweigh the extra cost of them imho.

I'd imagine on a bog std XE you wont see much more than 10bhp tops on 45's.

If you scrimp on the webers you will most likely get crap ones, and probably need more spent on them than buying good ones etc.

Adam
12-04-10, 09:46 PM
Any reasons Adam??

I'm just sounding them out. TB's are definately out, way too much money. Well, sitting there holding the revs up to keep the engine running isnt much fun, especially if you start work early in the morning. lol
(Speaking from experience)

Mpg will be ok if you managed to just not open the throttle at all lol
If you like the sound of them (which you will!) you will probably see mid-high teens mpg on a b-road blast.

The only time id fit carbs again was if i get a full setup for cheap cheap.

Rickardo
12-04-10, 09:49 PM
Bloody hell, i thought a Let could be a pain in the aris..

I'll have to consider other options i think.

Cheers

Rick

Andy
12-04-10, 09:51 PM
No way would i use them for a daily,a lad i know had 45's on his XE and he ended up selling them in favour of going back to standard injection.Yeah it was fast but it caned fuel and he found it somewhat embarassing as he walked away from it with the keys in his hand and it was still trying to run LOL
Plus it took around 5 mins to warm up from cold which wont impress your 'hood

blue_peg_16v
12-04-10, 09:55 PM
there have there bonusus but can be a pain in the winter also due to the corsa firewall being closer to the engine you will need to moddify that to get the clearence or there is no chance of getting filters in even with 10mm trumpets they will be very close to the bulkhead so no room for filters without modifying it

i changed mine for a let cos they were a pain in the ass always going out of balance and mine were new carbs with a new weber linkage not cheap ones

Southie
12-04-10, 09:58 PM
Rick you loved the LET in the Nova and I'm affraid you'll always miss that, carbs are great if setup right but for a daily there not cost effective at all.

novaxe235
12-04-10, 10:03 PM
Ive got them on mine dellorto 48's i don't use it as a daily drive, but its very reliable if set up correctly, as for mpg i probably get low teens if that but it is driven spiritedly when driven. Never had a problem with cold start its been sat in the shed for 6 months and i started last week, 2 pumps of the pedal and it idled almost instantly, other things you will need, inlet,fuel pressure reg, fuel pump some sort of management/dizzy setup etc. The key thing with carbs is getting them setup RIGHT most people don't bother and have problems and wonder why.

adam c
12-04-10, 10:06 PM
I had carbs on my daily driver and drove it through winter and in rain and snow etc.I never once had a problem with cold starting(i used to just pump the pedal 3 times before i started it and it always started first turn of the key) and colud drive off straight away.

MPG is where they have they're downside's though!lol It is poor but what do you expect!

When people say they go out of balance its more than likely poorly setup or/and a bent spindle.Mine never went out of "balance".

If your prepared for the poor fuel economy but the amazing sound and you get them set up PROPERLY you shouldnt have any problems with them!

blue_peg_16v
12-04-10, 10:07 PM
mine were set up right and as you say yours isnt a daily is totaly different i to had 48s but webbers and it went very well but the let is so much easier to live with, i would carb an xe again but not on a daily driver also the bulk head mods needed on a corsa would put me off

Adam
12-04-10, 10:13 PM
I had carbs on my daily driver and drove it through winter and in rain and snow etc.I never once had a problem with cold starting(i used to just pump the pedal 3 times before i started it and it always started first turn of the key) and colud drive off straight away.

MPG is where they have they're downside's though!lol It is poor but what do you expect!

When people say they go out of balance its more than likely poorly setup or/and a bent spindle.Mine never went out of "balance".

If your prepared for the poor fuel economy but the amazing sound and you get them set up PROPERLY you shouldnt have any problems with them!
Out of interest, you had Dan's old engine didnt you??

stupot89
12-04-10, 10:22 PM
rick just let it hehe

blue_peg_16v
12-04-10, 10:23 PM
rick if you dont want a let get a 3.0 v6 lol

stupot89
12-04-10, 11:27 PM
dont you start as well rich lol

adam c
12-04-10, 11:38 PM
Out of interest, you had Dan's old engine didnt you??

Yeah it was Dans old engine out of his grey trackcar.

Will F
13-04-10, 08:40 AM
I love these carb threads - opinion is split in half usually and highlights those who have had them set up properly and those which have just slapped them on and hoped they work...

Corsakid off here (Kris) has had 45s for nearly 2 years and it starts (from cold) revs (from cold) and if driven sensibly returns sensible MPG as well as (even better in some respects) than a std SFI set up...

I was sceptical at first, but to see him stab the throttle when cold and it picks straight up (not boggin down etc) is staggering tbh.

He bought a set, had them rebuilt (for peanuts) and set up properly in a RR - and he hasnt had any probs since.

Prey
13-04-10, 10:19 AM
I cant vouch for 45s but id throw bike carbs into the mix..... I've had experience of two sets on xes and theyve been impressive for the cash.

Im running r1s on a 1600 but it gets used in all weathers - raining, playing in the snow, cold mornings, hot days etc and it always starts, idles fine (bit of choke needed til you drive off when its cold) and can drive off as soon as it fires if you want to, doesnt bog or hesitate. Fuel wise if you drive it normally its very good, drive it hard and its crap.

ChrisMk1
13-04-10, 01:23 PM
I know the R1 carbs work on an XE. One of the my Mk1 mates has them on his Astra. Goes well too.
Have a look on youtube for mk1 nurburgring BH2N 2009 run. Sounds good too. Not sure what mpg he's getting with it.

Chris

comptoncj
13-04-10, 01:53 PM
I was looking into putting T45s on my xe in a corsa but didnt like the idea of not running air filters. Might look into seeing if bike carbs being slightly shorter would allow an air filter of some kind but it would still be a tight fit in a corsa.

Will F
13-04-10, 02:36 PM
I was looking into putting T45s on my xe in a corsa but didnt like the idea of not running air filters. Might look into seeing if bike carbs being slightly shorter would allow an air filter of some kind but it would still be a tight fit in a corsa.

Why cant you run air filters?

ITG make them??

Adam
13-04-10, 03:57 PM
I love these carb threads - opinion is split in half usually and highlights those who have had them set up properly and those which have just slapped them on and hoped they work...

Corsakid off here (Kris) has had 45s for nearly 2 years and it starts (from cold) revs (from cold) and if driven sensibly returns sensible MPG as well as (even better in some respects) than a std SFI set up...

I was sceptical at first, but to see him stab the throttle when cold and it picks straight up (not boggin down etc) is staggering tbh.

He bought a set, had them rebuilt (for peanuts) and set up properly in a RR - and he hasnt had any probs since. Granted mine on my 1400 were never setup for my specific engine, they did come off an identical spec engine, but still it wasnt perfect, so setup wasnt helping some of the issues i had.

On mine atm i would consider carbs if a set came up cheap enough.

blue_peg_16v
13-04-10, 07:57 PM
Why cant you run air filters?

ITG make them??

because the bulk head is too close to run filters you have to cut the bulkhead out and move it back corsa bays are tighter than nova ones at the rear, as for bike carbs they would be on about a 45 deg angle so you can get filters on without doing anything to the bulk head

BRoadGhost
13-04-10, 10:37 PM
45's on an XE are an excellent mini project in themselves.

I've had a pair on mine since day one with 34MM chokes, standard trumpets, Bosch iginition & single throttle cable with no manual choke. Had it rolling roaded ~ Jetted correctly & Idle set. Made good power & it ONLY runs rich so NEVER has an issue idling cold.

Followed by a complete overhaul [Pair kits are under £20 so no brainer tbh] lick of paint, 1612 cams, rampipes, twin throttle linkage & bought a syncrometer [had to make an adaptor pipe to use correctly] learning how to balance them perfectly. Another RR session & obviously more power.

Now I'm at the stage where the chokes have been turned out to 40MM, run double O rings per port [to cure slight air leak on single o ring] & matched inlet to head ports [with slight additional porting]. …Awaiting final setting up on rollers.

The Advance on ignition timing is yet to be confirmed as is power, but let's just say it's gonna be a world away from stock injection figures & feel. No reason why the above with the proper exhaust wouldn't be shy of another 50 horse power.

MPG is how you drive it ~ anything from 38 down to 6.

dj_wudgey
13-04-10, 11:14 PM
as above mpg is how you drive it ive got 40's on my sr its **** on fuel if i thrash it everywhere but its not bad if im steady but then again your talking about 45's on a 2ltr lol

muzzy
14-04-10, 12:13 AM
The noise from twin carb's is addictive, I used to go through some amount of fuel on the 1400 I had lol

dj_wudgey
14-04-10, 12:26 AM
^^ id agree they sound the bomb!!

dj_wudgey
14-04-10, 11:52 AM
The noise from twin carb's is addictive, I used to go through some amount of fuel on the 1400 I had lol

its definately worth it though! i love the sound me!!