PDA

View Full Version : Which type of bias pedal box should I buy?

nova2.0widearch
10-04-10, 05:04 PM
Hi,

I have a Nova Rally car and wanted to uprate the master cylinder. Therefore I want to go bias pedal box. I have seen the ones on Harry Hockleys web site, but also there a complany called Compbrake.

Which one can anyone recommend?

Also what cylinders are people running?

I have 256 astra gte front brakes and drums on the rear.

Thanks

Christopher

mowgli
10-04-10, 05:20 PM
to be honest.. if you are only using the above brakes, then you don't need a bias box setup. if its got braided hoses & decent fluid, and the shoes are adjusted up properly, it will stop fantastically.

if you are planning rear discs & much bigger fronts, then go for it. HH will give you some proper advice on sizes for use on a nova, give them a ring.

nova2.0widearch
10-04-10, 05:38 PM
to be honest.. if you are only using the above brakes, then you don't need a bias box setup. if its got braided hoses & decent fluid, and the shoes are adjusted up properly, it will stop fantastically.

if you are planning rear discs & much bigger fronts, then go for it. HH will give you some proper advice on sizes for use on a nova, give them a ring.

Yes its got braided hoses and 5.1 brake fluid.

I want to get ride of the servo to get a better feel on the pedal, and also i run Hankook rally slicks. Even with the brake adjusted correctly and bias valve, will more bias on the front you have to push the pedal very very hard to lock the fronts. I want to say 14 inch wheels on the front to keep my final drive ratio down to increase acceration.

I run rear drums but the stages i do are about 7-8 miles around 6-8 minutes of driving and the rear brakes do not over heat so why change them? The handbrake is alot better with drums than discs anyway.

Cheers

mowgli
10-04-10, 06:29 PM
give HH a ring then, he'll be able to advise you

Stuart
10-04-10, 06:59 PM
tbh both are pretty much the same.... just get which ever is cheaper lol

bazil
10-04-10, 06:59 PM
Iirc I have 0.7 for the front and 0.75 for the rear on my box, they are ok but I want my servo assist back lol

nova2.0widearch
10-04-10, 07:06 PM
Iirc I have 0.7 for the front and 0.75 for the rear on my box, they are ok but I want my servo assist back lol

What brakes are you running?

What do you use your car for? I was hoping the heavy pedal would be ok, cause its only used for stage rallies!?!

bazil
10-04-10, 07:14 PM
The car was a daily driver, it has astra gte 16v brakes all round and the box was second hand, the pedal is very firm, I only fitted it cos I had it but it came from a rally nova and it does give you good feel on the pedal, you can get different cylinders aswell if you don't like the set up, the box hh sells is probably a comp brake one and the ones pro tec motorsport sell are comp brake to.

MARTIN KELSON
10-04-10, 09:45 PM
I have had a Rally Design one in the past & to be honest didnt like the feel of the thread ajustment or the fact i was told to 'cut down' the length of the piston threads to the master cyclinders to get it to work.

Sold it & bought one from Harry Hockly & the quality & fit is so much better.

Go for a HH one if i were you.

Martin

Stuart
10-04-10, 09:48 PM
I have had a Rally Design one in the past & to be honest didnt like the feel of the thread ajustment or the fact i was told to 'cut down' the length of the piston threads to the master cyclinders to get it to work.

Sold it & bought one from Harry Hockly & the quality & fit is so much better.

Go for a HH one if i were you.

Martin

Odds on the HH one has trimmed down master cylinder rods too as they come in one size from the manufacturer.

MARTIN KELSON
10-04-10, 09:51 PM
Probably true, but glad somebody that knew what they were doing & to what extent cut them rather than selling them to the customer & then expext them to hack at them to get it to work.

Stuart
10-04-10, 10:34 PM
the nature of 'motorsport parts' is that some mods are needed to suit an induhviduals needs... cutting a bolt isnt hard, but dont let that stop you slating a decent enough product :wall:

I had to cut the rods down on my home made bias box that might have been an exact replica of an HH box.... ergo HH's bias box is a load of **** by that standard :p