PDA

View Full Version : Rear Disc Conversion.

C2VXL
09-04-10, 05:01 PM
Hi all,

Before you all begin to shoot me about posting this, there is a reason. I've just went and bought a complete set up (rear brakes) and hubs (abs) to convert my beam.

I'm aware people have different views on whether this is a good idea or not. Truthfully i'm doing it as i think the drums look whack!

The problem i'm having is the different views on what actually fits and worried i've bought the wrong parts. The parts i bought came from a Cav Sri 1993.

I've used the search function and over several posts the views differ. Can someone that ACTUALLY knows tell me if my parts fit.

Thanks,

Owen.

kenny_afh
10-04-10, 05:32 PM
you'll need to weld on the backing plates to suit your hubs. so you'll need the beam too (chris astley was selling the backplates indivdually i think but i dont know where you would fine some now)

swap your end plates over on the nova beam then everything will all bolt on.

after that the only issue you should have is what handbrake cables to use. ive heard various ways of cabling them but havnt done my own yet so couldnt really advise on that.

also you may wish to change the reducer on the nova mastercylinder to match what was on the donor cavalier to avoid over-braking the rear.

lewisvalver
10-04-10, 08:11 PM
Is that the right way to do it?^^ Ive been having problems with mine,something was up with the hubs for the Mot and i thought it was sorted...the other night the wheel bearings collapsed and the hub has shattered:(my nova is a 3 wheel wreck sat in my garage at the moment!!

brainsnova
10-04-10, 08:26 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108784

lewisvalver
10-04-10, 08:56 PM
thanks mate

Benn
10-04-10, 11:30 PM
Don't bother, makes braking a bit poo and is alot of messing about just for the looks, its the reason i did it. I would't do it again.

AlexW
11-04-10, 12:07 AM
I know you didnt want people saying dont do it etc, But by the time its backed off enough it does no more than the drums haha

They are easier to service though.

C2VXL
11-04-10, 02:12 AM
Ye i've read that everyone that's done it, regrets it.

However like i said it's more for looks.Other than a bias valve, Is there anything else that can be uprated using other Vaux parts. i.e Servo, Mastercylinder? I've got 4 pots for the front.

Thanks,

Owen.

Benn
11-04-10, 10:51 AM
I never changed the Valves, run a gsi servo and m/c. One line to the rear.

Rears dont do alot, just sit and look cool. Handbrake cables are the worse bit. Getting them right and working is very hard.

lewisvalver
11-04-10, 04:27 PM
I never changed the Valves, run a gsi servo and m/c. One line to the rear.

Rears dont do alot, just sit and look cool. Handbrake cables are the worse bit. Getting them right and working is very hard.

thats very true,getting my handbrake right for the Mot was a nightmare!only comes up to clicks but just does enough to hold it

C2VXL
11-04-10, 06:52 PM
Ye dreading the handbrake cable part. Just another little niggle to overcome i guess.

As for the bias valve. is there any specific ones i should look out for? And i assume it can be fitted anywhere in the line feeding the rear brakes?

Benn
11-04-10, 06:58 PM
There's more than one kind, there are ones that screw in line in to the mc. Then there are ones you can adjust by hand.

C2VXL
11-04-10, 07:23 PM
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Store/Motorsport/Braking/Brake_Proportioning_Valves/Tilton_Screw_Type_Proportioning_Valve/1719/3480

This is the type i was going to go for, didn't mean brand. This method any use? Effective and easy to get the proportion of efficiency right?

Benn
11-04-10, 08:20 PM
It will limit the flow to the rears yes.

novalovingned
11-04-10, 10:33 PM
There is a specific handbrake cable set up for doing the rear disc conversion properly. Handbrake cables from an Astra mk4 or 5 should be used with the adaptor plates from M-tech.

Its the only route if its going to be done properly imo.

I dont know if M-tech would sell the hanbrake cable setup separately though. Ive seen the conversion parts in the metal and the quality is very good.

Benn
12-04-10, 07:53 AM
Never heard that before...^

C2VXL
12-04-10, 08:23 AM
So using the adapter plates can i use the set up that i've bought?

novalovingned
12-04-10, 11:31 PM
So using the adapter plates can i use the set up that i've bought?
If the cav sri rear disc set up is the same as astra gsi i dont see why not. By that i mean hubs and calipers.

Ive found some info on a kit you could buy to fit the brakes you have. Like i said its the most simple and affective way for you to get rid of your drums and do the job properly imo

http://www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk/store/product.php?productid=539&cat=0&page=1

Hope it helps?

blue_peg_16v
12-04-10, 11:41 PM
there what i have on mine so will be fine as for handbrake cables i run nova long and mk2 cav estate short job done