PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 sr engine removal

Matty Winslade
08-04-10, 02:48 PM
Hello all, i was just enquiring about how difficult it is to remove a 1.4 sr engine from a mk1 nova. i have decided to remove the engine from my SR and give it an overhaul ie new gaskets, seals, water pump ,cam belt etc etc, but i would like to clean the bay and block up at the same time. i know there are the mounts to attand to but how much is involved in the way of wires and hoses? is it an easy job?. ...i have a hoist and i have an engine stand and all the tools at my work, but i was just wondering the time it would take??

vaughanmc
08-04-10, 02:49 PM
Shouldn't take that long mate - Quite an easy task to drop an engine out

Just make sure and label everything that comes off so you know where it goes etc so it makes the re-fit easy :)

GRUNT 16V
08-04-10, 03:02 PM
Out Through The Bootom!!

mowgli
08-04-10, 03:13 PM
if you drop the gearbox too, then a good couple of hours should do it, i agree, take it downwards

Andy
08-04-10, 03:58 PM
I took a 1200 (same involved as a 1400) out by myself with no hoist in 2 hours.Only used a trolley jack.

NovaLad
08-04-10, 04:22 PM
I'd say AFAIK dropping out is easier... if you do have a crane use it to life up the shell from the front then drop back down and use the crane to lift the engine up into the bay :)

mowgli
08-04-10, 04:23 PM
or 2 bits of wood in the holes where the front bumper mounts & make it into a great big wheelbarrow

Sloth
08-04-10, 04:35 PM
i dropped a 1200 out last weekend in 20 mins.

mowgli
08-04-10, 04:37 PM
i bet you had to sit on a bag of frozen peas after.....ohhhh, from the car.. thats not a bad time

Nobby
08-04-10, 11:09 PM
lmao^^ as said piece off pish!

Remove batterl lead and Jack up the car place on axle stands

When in the air
Remove front wheels and undo bottom ball joints and driveshafts nuts and pull shafts out the hubs.
Remove tiebar bolts remove rear arm bolt and remove front lower suspension.
Undo exhaust off the downpipe
Undo rear gearbox mount

Under the bonnet

Undo fuel pipes
undo water pipes
remove all wiring (yours will just be mini loom dizzy coil etc)
Pull + battery wire through firewall and unplug the black plug by the wiper motor and tie on place on engine to stop it catching on the way down.
Remove speedo cable 10mm bolt and pull
Remove clutch cable lean on the arm and pull the cable out
Remove choke and throttle cables
Remove gearbox bolt
Remove o/s engine mount last as its where you can see it and is easy accessible!

Thinks thats it lol correct me if im wrong!

Then make sure the engine is supported either crane or jack and drop her down!!

take your time no to break anything better to do it in 12 hours and not break anything then to rush it and smash things up :D

Sloth
08-04-10, 11:11 PM
gas axe. 10 seconds. job jobbed.

Gaz1300SR
28-05-11, 06:48 PM
i bet you had to sit on a bag of frozen peas after.....ohhhh, from the car.. thats not a bad time

lol lol lol :thumb: