PDA

View Full Version : c20xe wiring problem

mr5050
07-04-10, 08:57 PM
just want to get a few things straight, i use the original starting and charging loom from the 1.2 nova (this is the posi, negative, starter motor, ignition and earth right???) of the two wires that go to the starter motor, what one goes on the fat thread and which on the smaller one? and i have a couple of wire ripped out of plugs so what is the best thing to do with these? cheers

auzzy-b
07-04-10, 09:25 PM
positive to the large thread on the starter motor and negative to the inlet manifold!

mr5050
07-04-10, 11:39 PM
cheers

MattBrown
08-04-10, 10:24 AM
Erm...

Im going to disagree here...

The Big fat red one goes

Battery-Alternator-Starter

Black with red line is the "Flick key" for the solenoid

Blue and white IIRc is the return loop for the alternator, basically used for the battery light on the clocks

mr5050
10-04-10, 11:55 AM
do i need to connect the xe loom to the nova loom, if so, is t all the wires that go into that big plug. iirc its a green , black, black yellow or white, blue/red and a blue i think? also there is a little black box with a black wire coming out the back of the alternator? and one of my plugs has had the wires riped out of it, its the red one under the inlet manifold that bolts into the block, can i replace it with one from a late c20xe? and theres two black wires coming from the nova loom that connects to the xe starter?

mr5050
10-04-10, 11:44 PM
also there is a plug a few inches from the end of the fuel rail(astra gte early c20xe), the wires going into the plug are green, red, black/yellow, blue/red and blue, i take it these are the wires that need to be connected to the nova's original loom? and the wires have been snapped off the plug that goes into the front of the sump, but i cant see where they have snapped from, where can i re-connect them to? cheers

Benn
11-04-10, 12:06 AM
You wont need the big black plug, bin it.

You'll be using the starting and charging loom from the Nova, thick red to the starter, brown to the block, thin (black/ red iirc) to the solenoid.

You only need to join the green by the coil and the black 12v in the bay, the rest can be done under the dash...

mr5050
11-04-10, 12:22 AM
but isnt the blue in that plug for the fuel pump and the black yellow for something in the dash plus green for rev gauge?

Benn
11-04-10, 12:59 AM
Cant think of a black yellow at all, blue is water temp iirc.

mr5050
12-04-10, 02:17 PM
any ideas what to do with the plug thats snapped from the loom at the front of the sump? i cant see where its ripped from

auzzy-b
14-04-10, 10:20 PM
its not needed! its the oil level sensor, think it should/can be connected straight to the clocks like you would with your Rev,temp sensors..

its all explained in here

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86668

Benn
14-04-10, 10:22 PM
No, its connected to the Astra warning lights display, which Nova's dont have. So you cant really use it.

auzzy-b
14-04-10, 10:30 PM
unless you have a digi dash fitted, think thatll do it! was thinking of connecting this on mine

Benn
14-04-10, 10:44 PM
No it wont, its in the check control lights. Are you thinking of oil pressure?

auzzy-b
14-04-10, 11:04 PM
oops sorry, just checked benn is rite! from memory i got mix up with the brake warning light for some reason lol i thought theyd have a light for them? it wouldnt be what the brown & white wire is for thats unknown in the articles section would it?

mr5050
14-04-10, 11:54 PM
also noticed another plug with no wires going to it? its behind the sandwhich plate so i assume its oil temp or pressure? is it needed? and can someone explain to me in simple terms exactly what i need to connect between my nova loom and c20xe loom? ive read all the articles etc and its still not making 100% sense to me, ive got the starter and alternator wired up to battery and most plugs on engine in place, fan, rad all lights etc but how is the power getting to coil etc? cheers

Benn
15-04-10, 08:06 AM
oops sorry, just checked benn is rite! from memory i got mix up with the brake warning light for some reason lol i thought theyd have a light for them? it wouldnt be what the brown & white wire is for thats unknown in the articles section would it?

Not sure off hand, do you mean the brake light warning one?

Benn
15-04-10, 08:08 AM
also noticed another plug with no wires going to it? its behind the sandwhich plate so i assume its oil temp or pressure? is it needed? and can someone explain to me in simple terms exactly what i need to connect between my nova loom and c20xe loom? ive read all the articles etc and its still not making 100% sense to me, ive got the starter and alternator wired up to battery and most plugs on engine in place, fan, rad all lights etc but how is the power getting to coil etc? cheers

Dude get a pic its makes it much easier.

thick red - battery, thin black - igntion switched feed, thick red/blue - fuel pump,

brown/blue - ecu light.On the xe loom to your ecu light, find the wiring. thin green - rev counter. Again xe loom to nova loom.

Car will then start.

auzzy-b
15-04-10, 09:34 AM
also noticed another plug with no wires going to it? its behind the sandwhich plate so i assume its oil temp or pressure? is it needed?
Yes its for the oil pressure, there will be a plug on a blue/green (could be blue/yellow cant remember off top of my head) wire coming from the nova loom usually its with all your starter& alt wiring Just plugs straight in.. Done:)

mr5050
16-04-10, 12:37 AM
Yes its for the oil pressure, there will be a plug on a blue/green (could be blue/yellow cant remember off top of my head) wire coming from the nova loom usually its with all your starter& alt wiring Just plugs straight in.. Done:)
i wish, cant find it mate, ill just trace those wires you mentioned and extend them to the plug, cheers:thumb:

mr5050
16-04-10, 08:05 PM
shall i connect into the nova loom where the wires come out from the car in the top right hand corner of the bay, near the wiper motor? cheers

Benn
16-04-10, 08:13 PM
Join them all in car by the fuse box.

mr5050
16-04-10, 11:58 PM
theres lots of reds and lots of black??

Benn
18-04-10, 11:25 AM
The black comes off the loom in its own covering. Should have a ring on the end.