PDA

View Full Version : is this true

waynes sri
06-04-10, 05:55 PM
Back in the day when i got my 1st nova and did bits and bobs i put a big sun strip on the window and it took up nearly all the window at that but when i got pulled i just got told to take it off as was too big and should be like the one on the volvo cop car blah blah.but whats the rules today has my birds as a corsa and as one on it not really that huge and its been for test today so told her they may take it off which they have done but said the one she had on would have got her 6 points and 140 fine is this true???

Southie
06-04-10, 05:57 PM
If it's not lower than the sun visors I wouldn't have thought you'd have a problem really.

mowgli
06-04-10, 05:58 PM
i would imagine any lower than the sun visors go would be on dodgy ground

brainsnova
06-04-10, 05:58 PM
i used to have a white car with a 10" white window band but i drove and got no hassle lol

Ernie
06-04-10, 06:00 PM
aslong as it doesnt catch the wiper blades should be ok i thought.

Bubba
06-04-10, 06:00 PM
if ur wipers hit it...its illegal. that what i got told

Spudly
06-04-10, 06:01 PM
I think the general rule of thumb is, it must not encroach more than an inch into the sweep of the wipers, an easy way people used to get around this come MOT time, was simply fit smaller wiper blades, thus decreasing the swept area of the screen and allowing a bigger sunstrip, which in theory is still legal:eek:

Ernie
06-04-10, 06:02 PM
there an old school thing.Just ditch it and get some sunglasses lol

waynes sri
06-04-10, 06:05 PM
yes wipers defo touch.lol

brainsnova
06-04-10, 06:13 PM
use austin mini wipers problem solved lol

dj_wudgey
06-04-10, 08:00 PM
yea thats what i thought if the wipers foul it thats illegal!! my sister never got botherd with hers it was abit ott though lol

Plug
06-04-10, 08:04 PM
the wiper is aloud on it but no more than an inch iirc

Mcgowan
06-04-10, 08:07 PM
I think the general rule of thumb is, it must not encroach more than an inch into the sweep of the wipers, an easy way people used to get around this come MOT time, was simply fit smaller wiper blades, thus decreasing the swept area of the screen and allowing a bigger sunstrip, which in theory is still legal:eek:

Apart from the fact that you can also get done for your wipers not clearing a sufficient area of your screen which is actually quite illegal!!lol

Novaboyleon
06-04-10, 09:19 PM
if you take the windscreen out you can get away without having any wipers, a windscreen is not a legal requirement for mot! lol

Spudly
06-04-10, 09:22 PM
if you take the windscreen out you can get away without having any wipers, a windscreen is not a legal requirement for mot! lol

This is actually true, but the screen is a requirement, the loophole is that of its not there you cant test it, for this to work youd need to remove the screen, the wipers, the washer bottle and jets (for cars fitted with just front wash wipe) and the stalk for the wipers aswell so its not as easy a fix as people think it is :p

Novaboyleon
06-04-10, 09:24 PM
indeed, thats exactly what i should have put!

Jack
06-04-10, 09:46 PM
Just put hinges on the windscreen lol

This has been asked before, the answer is...

Zone 'A is:
. in the swept area of the Windscreen
. 290mm wide
. centred on the centre of the steering wheel.
Reason for rejection:

b. a Windscreen sticker or other obstruction encroaching more than 10mm
http://www.motuk.co.uk/images/new_pa7.jpg

however

the vehicle presenter should be advised of and given the opportunity to remove any item likely to fail under Reason for Rejection 1 b or 1e before a VT30 is issued
so the MOT man should tell you it would fail on a sunstrip and give you the opportunity to remove it before he fails the vehicle.

Huffy
06-04-10, 10:27 PM
if ur wipers hit it...its illegal. that what i got told

i hear this too

Derick-Sport
06-04-10, 11:05 PM
most new windscreens have alittle mark telling you where the maximum is on either side :thumbs:

Stuart
06-04-10, 11:15 PM
fitting a short ass wiper blade to avoid cracks in the screen is naughty mmmmK (says he having done it for the second year on the trot lol)

L14MNP
06-04-10, 11:23 PM
lol. i remember my mate being stopped for his sunstrip once 'back in the day' and the traffic police went crazy removing it and even scratched his Corsas screen. I pulled up behind in the Primera with touring car sized sunstrip and they never said a word. :/ It was in my (centrally parked) wiper sweep by a good 4" too.

Above the law! LOL